RD350 Cafe Resto-Mod Build

bonzer

I figured I jump in and post my build. Lots of great bikes on here and I dig the community within the forum.

Well, here goes nothin'!

After scooting around on a stock 1975 RD350, and diggin the 2 stroke power band, I wanted to see what more could be gotten out of the RD350. Not wanting to mess with a nice stock bike, I hunted for another RD I felt was crappy enough to modify. My hunt lead me to 2 crappy RDs scored on craigslist, one crappier than the other which ended up being a parts bike.

I'm not someone that likes to stray too far off from the original form, but the RD can really be improved with a few bits that make it a much more exciting ride.

Note, the candidate for the build appeared to be a 1974, as it wore the 74 colors. I developed a build plan which would be for bolt on modifications only which would allow the bike to be returned to stock form if desired. Chambers, rear sets, different seat, clubman bars were all in the plan. So it seemed like I was stuck with Purple, not my favorite RD color. 75 RD350 Orange and RD250 White are just radical. All RD400 colors are rad, but hey I'm sticking with purps. . .or so I thought.

Attachments

• IMGP0763.JPG
    IMGP0763.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 536
  • IMGP0765.JPG
    IMGP0765.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 499
  • IMGP0767.JPG
    IMGP0767.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 483
  • IMGP0800.JPG
    IMGP0800.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 541
Here are some shots of the '75. Just a fun gem of an RD. Not too nice to not ride it, but nice enough to not mess with it. Portuguese Orange was just a radical original color.

Attachments

• IMGP0706.JPG
    IMGP0706.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 522
  • IMGP0705.JPG
    IMGP0705.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 516
  • IMGP0707.JPG
    IMGP0707.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 497
Nice RD's. I don't think that the purple one is really that crappy but maybe I have lower standards. Haha

Nice score! I might be looking for an RD project after I get finished with my CT1.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

James Hart said:
Nice score! I might be looking for an RD project after I get finished with my CT1.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
clem said:
Nice RD's. I don't think that the purple one is really that crappy but maybe I have lower standards. Haha

Thanks Fellas! $800 for both probably wasn't the biggest score, but coming across these bikes gets harder and harder.

I'm glad you liked my glamor shot for my effort to get the purple bike a title. Got her running and gave it a 5MPH joy ride, but she was not safe what-so-ever. Although when you tear down these bikes you find that most of the problems are just from sitting, and some wear and tear. At least in this case since they weren't bastardized.

Skipping the tear down, here's a quick shot of a mock up.

Again trying to keep with only bolt on mods, I just loved Twinline's RD build. Their version of using the back 1/4 of the RD350/250 gas tank for the cafe hump just came out so clean. Using that idea, I decided to incorporate it into the original seat pan with it's stock hinges and brackets. This way the stock 2T oil filler and oil tank could still be utilized. Others have done this also in different degrees

Attachments

• IMGP0994.JPG
    IMGP0994.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 482
Here are some shots of the built engine and related specs for reference. The RD engine has long been a hot rod-ed engine and there are individuals out there with decades of experience in extracting power of these power plants. RD engines and chassis are just a great platform for any sport minded build.

SCR (Scott Clough Racing) was my source for the engine machine work and some misc engine parts. He was just amazingly helpful and kind. Also very open to answer any question and help you succeed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~scloughn/

Gary at Spec II provided the expansion chambers (pic coming soon!) and misc components that he was very adamant I use with the pipes such as dropping a tooth off the front sprocket to better utilize the new power band. Gary is another RD freak of nature!

http://www.spec2.com/index2.html

NOTE: The jets in the specs shown was selected for the initial run in. Started rich to be safe then jetted down as needed with plug chops to dial it in.

Attachments

• IMGP0985.JPG
    IMGP0985.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 488
  • IMGP0978.JPG
    IMGP0978.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 435
  • IMGP0976.JPG
    IMGP0976.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 486
  • 1st Settings and mods after rebuild.png
    1st Settings and mods after rebuild.png
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,730
  • IMGP0987.JPG
    IMGP0987.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 470
The last post you might see where I mention 1973. . .

We'll the PO swapped over the tank, side cover, oil tank, head light and ears over from the parts bike. After researching the Vin number (which matches the engine) the bike was actually a 1973. Keeping with my plan, I was able to go with 1973 RD350 Brandy Red as you see in the mock up. So no more Purps! Brandy Red, like candy apple red, is not one of my favorites, but that 1970's style white swoosh just looks radical!

After all the polishing, powder coating, plating, and sourcing of needed items from ignition components, cables, new master cylinder (OEM replica), bars, tires, SS spokes & wheel lacing, bronze swing arm bushings, tapered roller bearings for the steering, wheel bearings, chain, rebuilding the controls with new sheaths. . .ok you get the point

Here she was just waiting for the painted components and seat. Quick mock up with the seat to make sure it functioned after the fabrication.

Mop n Glo coating on the pipes at this point

Attachments

• IMGP1033.JPG
    IMGP1033.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 487
  • IMGP1035.JPG
    IMGP1035.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 452
  • IMGP1031.JPG
    IMGP1031.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 494
  • IMGP1029.JPG
    IMGP1029.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 484
Looks Great! Very evident attention to detail. Good to see the rear fender retained - your bike will be practical as well as fun! What are you doing for the front?

Thanks for the compliment JP. I went with the fiberglass TZ look fiberglass front fender. Looks like the same route as you. Your bike looks sick by the way!

Here is the final product just after completion with some random close ups and some photos from later.

I restored the meter assembly with all powder coated components, NOS gauges, and plate.

The rear sets are from Vintage Smoke. Nick at Vintage Smoke is another top notch guy with a top notch product. Some people go the budget route with their rear sets which is great. Nick offers the other end of the spectrum, a polished and tested product specifically designed for RD250/350/400. They look slick and work seamlessly! They are sold with a bare tumbled finish which looks sweet however I powder coated them to blend with the rest of the bike's components.

I kept the Mop n Glo bare metal finish on the chambers for a month or so, then went to satin black with high heat flat black on the header portions which has held up very nicely.

So here it is, my 1973 RD350. The end result is an RD350 that can be returned to stock form but is modified with bolt on components for durability, aesthetics, and to bring out that true RD character and utilize those characteristics for a more enhanced and nimble riding experience. This is where the RD shines!

Attachments

• IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 436
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 442
  • IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 443
  • IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 495
  • IMGP0990.JPG
    IMGP0990.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 452
  • IMGP0897.JPG
    IMGP0897.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 428
  • IMGP0898.JPG
    IMGP0898.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 439
Nicely done sir!

Love the front fender - much like my own. Have to say I built the bike in my avatar quite some time ago, and since have had a lot of opportunity to compare it to other RD's. The "fork brace" incorporated into the stock fender is pretty feeble, but when you take it out altogether, it's absence is pretty noticeable. I have built several RD's since, and as much as I like the TZ looking fender I built, I have put shortened stock fenders on them because of the brace. Their is a lot of room between the tire and the brace, so there is a chance a nice fiberglass fender would fit inside it, but have not attempted it. An aftermarket aluminum brace would be nice, but not made anymore and hard to come by AFAIK. Bike is still light and fun as hell without it, but maybe take the Pepsi challenge after you hot rod around a while to see if it is worth it to investigate a brace.

Love the bike - thanks for taking the time to document!

Fired her up today and took a cruise down PCH to the OC Vintage Bike meet in Huntington Beach. Here are some action shoots from the ride home. Great show! Quite a few rad 2 strokes too! I'll post up some photos in the general forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 347
Nicely done. That's a proper period style cafe racer. So glad you did not hack and chop and lower like so many do nowadays. You have a bike that will show its tail light to a lot of other projects here. And you have plenty more speed to get if you have Scott or Gary (or Mobius, Teazer or myself) tweak the ports a bit. Now lets see a wheelie!

Shoeman said:
Nicely done. That's a proper period style cafe racer. So glad you did not hack and chop and lower like so many do nowadays. You have a bike that will show its tail light to a lot of other projects here. And you have plenty more speed to get if you have Scott or Gary (or Mobius, Teazer or myself) tweak the ports a bit. Now lets see a wheelie!

Right on! Thanks! You recognized the goal for sure!

Porting must be insane! Cross over tube, proper chambers, squish and y-boot sure bring these motors to life! Not sure how you guys keep the wheel down with the ported engines! Screamers!

Back
Top Bottom