'77 XS 360 Project...

hurricane7

Been Around the Block
First off, I have to thank everyone here at DTT for all the great info, tips and inspiration to help get me going. Really glad to have found this place. I joined fairly recently, but I've been visiting the board regularly. Every day after I check my emails, it's the next place I go!

Well, I guess it's about time to get started on my build. Winter has set in here. It won't be a "Big Arse Project" by any means, compared to many of the builds, but for me it will be. It will be my first. I anticipate a slow, and low budget build as my wife and I are just entering our second year of home ownership.

I bought the XS 360 a little over 2 months ago, and picked up a same year 400 donor bike shortly after. I'll be making my own seat. The plan is to take a female mold from the rear section of the gas tank for the basic shape. I'll be using the "donor" bike to test things out on, before making any changes on the 360. The 360 is in really good original condition.

Initial plans are to...

-Fabricate seat/frame loop
-Re-locate battery
-Rebuild and switch brakes/wheels/swing arm/forks from 400
-Clip ons
-Rear sets
-Tank & seat paint

Here's what I'm starting with...
DSCN3542s.jpg

The donor 400 with 360 behind it...
DSCN3876s.jpg

Donor 400's cracked frame. Don't know what the PO's had going here, but they obviously didn't make a living by welding! Looks like a good place to start cutting!...
DSCN3874s.jpg

At least they used a steel dowel on this side...
DSCN3880s.jpg

My hastily "Photoshopped" vision (no time to create a rendering like 69!)...
xsMockUp.jpg

BTW...the bars are flipped just so I could get a better idea of positions.

Like I said, it will be slow going, but at least, it's a start. Any input, ideas, constructive criticism, feedback...whatever...is encouraged and will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for checkin' it out!

-Jeff

Why not just chop up the donor tank to make the seat from or is it too nice to destroy? I really like the look of the matching seat and tank profiles. I'm in the process trying the same thing with my KZ400. Are making a custom seat pan or modifying a stock pan?

The tank is clean, no dents, just faded. The real reason is that 'glass will be easier to work with for me, and the rest of the seat will be glass. Besides that, if I screw up, I can always make another. After I get the shape I want for the "hump" I'll make the rest of the "pan", then make a male "plug" like the one here...

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=3070.0

Then I'll have a mold, and be able to make multiples if needed.

hurricane7 said:
Donor 400's cracked frame. Don't know what the PO's had going here, but they obviously didn't make a living by welding! Looks like a good place to start cutting!...

Jeff.....

I too have a xs360 project that I''ll be digging into this winter. Don't know if I'm going down the cafe or tracker route. What I noticed though was the welding at the rear hoop of your donor 400. My xs 360 had the same ugly welds and I thought the same about potential PO's.
Now.... I'm starting to wonder if it was the factory. Anyways it's a good place to start cutting.
Have to admit your start'n with a really nice base. Good luck and I'll be interested in your progress. Keep the pic's coming.

Skiman

Hey Skiman,

Thanks, I'll need all the good luck I can get! I'll be looking forward to your build too. Not many "small" XS's around here.

I seriously doubt that was factory work. There are little "scraps" of what looks like whatever the PO had laying around used as "reinforcement" on the 400. My 360 came with a luggage rack (not installed) and has notches cut out of the seat for it. The 400 must have had a rack too, and possibly bags from the looks of the other "tabs" welded to the frame.

Yeah, I think I got lucky with the 360. It's in really good condition and runs like a top! I may rebuild the 400 motor for it at some point though.

Got a bit done over the weekend...

Started the seat building process. I'm using the tank from the donor to take a mold for the shape of the "hump". I sanded the gold striping and lettering down, then progressively wet sanded from 400 to 2000 and polished. (This tank appears to have been repainted from the factory. It's a '77, but had an orange '76 paint job under that. You can see traces of the old stripe down the sides.

As you'll see in the photos, some of the paint stuck to the mold. No problems getting it off though. Just had to wedge a stir stick in a few places to release it. There are a few air bubbles that I'll need to smooth out, but I'm pretty happy with the overall results.

I'm debating on whether to fill the female mold with Great Stuff as a solid plug, or with just a few layers of glass and attach it to the pan (which is non existent as of now). I'm leaning toward the "plug" method.

Anyway, on to the photos...

Sanded the tank smooth...
DSCN3895s.jpg

Lines drawn of the basic shape. Getting ready for 'glass...
DSCN3904s.jpg

Filled the recessed area at the bottom of the tank with expandable foam...
DSCN3906s.jpg

All crevices blocked off and mold release sprayed...
DSCN3908s.jpg

Laying the 'glass...
DSCN3910s.jpg

Completed layers...
DSCN3914s.jpg

The almost finished mold...
DSCN3917s.jpg

hmmm..... a reusable mold eh?? we need to talk!! hahaha if you feel like making two let me know. id be willing to fork up some cash :)

No Problem. I plan on making a few, that's why I'm making a mold. I want to be able to try some different tail light ideas, plus a couple of other DTT members have expressed interest.

Very slowly! I have a lot going on this month, and into March which leaves me with no bike time. Hope to get some work done by mid March.

Back
Top Bottom