Yamaha RX 125 racer

Anmic

Hi all,

So I've always been fascinated by the lightweight race bikes aka, the 125's and 250's. I love the idea of trying to get as much power as you can out of the tiny bikes and in general just having a blast!

So with that in mind I started racing in Australia last year in a stock class that uses 125 four strokes, my lovely beast is a CBR125 which I managed to do alright on. Halfway through the season the racing bug had well and truly taken hold and I started looking for another class to race in. I found the Forgotten era class which allows bikes built between 1973-1982. The Yamaha TA125 race bikes were a massive inspiration so I started looking at what Yammy two strokes I could get my hands on. Along came the Yamaha RX125 that was sold here in Aus, $400 later I have one in my garage.

Long story short the engine had a leaking crank seal so I started to strip in down and was trawling the web for parts. During my searching I found a bloke selling a Yamaha RX 125 race engine with hydro formed pipe and a bunch of spare parts! So I snapped it up and have fitted it to the bike. Still haven't run it yet as Ive just bought a house and the lack of time has put this on the back burner.

Anyway fingers crossed I can get back to this in a month or so once all the moving is done!

Attachments

• RX125.jpg
    RX125.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 813
  • RX125 Strip down.jpg
    RX125 Strip down.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 1,247
  • Screenshot_2015-02-09-22-52-46.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-09-22-52-46.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 799
Cool project, I'll be watching! 8)

Sorry for the lack of updates, ive just moved house so havent had much time. I'll be heading the hardware this weekend to grab a few bits and im going to see if i can get the NSR150 rearsets to work, that way i only need to fab up some adapters. Ive gone from a double garage to a large single so space is a bit interesting aswell!

Here's a pic with the new motor and pipe in the frame:

Attachments

• rxnewengine.jpg
    rxnewengine.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 668
Ive been looking at different tank and seat options and Ive settled on eventually getting a Skyteam Ace tank plus seat. Its cheap and will give the bike the look and feel I want for it. At the moment though i cant afford to buy them so I am going to make a fiberglass one for the interim. That way i can get the rear sets done and get it running and doing some testing laps at the local race track.

Attachments

• Seatmock up.jpg
    Seatmock up.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 583
YAY! Progress! So i took the race bike up to Sydney over the weekend to get the partners dad to help me with some welding for the foot pegs. They turned out great and we even managed to get the exhaust pipe to fit properly now as well. Now i just need to get some bmx pegs some bolts and a few other bits and pieces and I'll finally have brakes and be able to change gears!

Attachments

• IMAG0567.jpg
    IMAG0567.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,096
Anmic said:
I'll finally have brakes and be able to change gears!

That helps!

Should look good with the SkyTeam parts; if you're looking for a TA125 fairing I can put you onto a bloke just north of Sydney who can make one.

Crazy

Yea Ive just got to track some sky team parts down. I'm going to hit up the hardware store this weekend and hopefully build my rear sets.

Back
Top Bottom