CB450SC Front End Swap

shiftanddrive

Not sure where else to put this...so I am putting it here. First post, too (other than in the intro section). I should get a candy for this.

Anyway, I am planning on doing a front end swap on a 84 CB450SC. I think I have it figured out. But, I want to run it by you folks to see what you think. Also, I still have some questions that may need some clarification.

The CB450SC has a big wheel with a skinny tire. Not really the look I dig so I want to change it a bit. I'd like to get a 120 tire on the front on a standard sport bike size 17 inch rim. So, down the road of a front end swap I go.

Looked up bearings on All Balls Racing and noticed there are a lot of Honda sport bikes that share the same bearing dimensions. Most notably, the 2005 CBR600RR with its inverted fork setup. Sweet.

The CBR600RRs triple trees have an offset of 30mm, half of the 60mm offset of the CB450SC. This kind of worries me.

The other worry I have is steering stem length. I have NO idea what the steering stem length is on the CBR600RR. But, even if it is longer or shorter, can I press the stem out of the CB450SC triple tree and press it into the CBR600RR lower?

The next thing I am trying to figure out is all the front end geometry. I have the math worked out for the stock setup but I can't figure out the trail for the CBR600RR forks on my bike because I don't know the fork length.

If anyone can shed some light on this project, please let me know what you know. This is my first major project and it would be great to get it done (mostly) right the first time.

Thanks

That's going to be an awful lot of front end for a 450 Nighthawk! But it will look pretty sweet when you're done....
I suspect that what you're asking though is best figured out with the pieces and parts all in hand.
If you can't do it yourself; take both lower triple trees with steering stems in place and tell 'em you want this one to match that one, then take them home and put it all together.
What you are doing will make the bike steer quicker, but I doubt it'll be enough change to make it twitchy or dangerous. Whatever the numbers end up being, it'll be the seat-of-the-pants feel of the thing that really tells you whether it works or if it was worth it, and you won't know about that until you do it!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes....

True enough. I am just going to have at it. Need to find a decent set of forks though. They are a bitch to find without costing an arm and a leg.

go for it dude.......

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.....

if you have lots of time and money......

There's lots of fork swaps going on here and everywhere else, I suspect. I've done two so far. Swap the stems, upgrade to tapered roller bearings. Viola

hi,
i have swapped the entire original front end (fork and wheel) with a front end of GL650. it's a good job!
best regards

Attachments

• 884535_4882146407075_846522483_o_r.jpg
    884535_4882146407075_846522483_o_r.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 548
  • 400754_4928408123589_1514806806_n_r.jpg
    400754_4928408123589_1514806806_n_r.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,234
CB450SC Front End Swap - Final result

Hi All,
I replaced all, the master cylinder, calipers and the pump (that of 450 was not enough).
Good race

Attachments

• 2014-final-result.jpg
    2014-final-result.jpg
    791.6 KB · Views: 478
CM400A said:
mine never ending project cb450sc with fitted kawasaki ninja 2003 front end
2-vi.jpg

Looks good! I used Ninja 636 forks on my Suzuki T500 mostly because you can pick them up for a pretty decent price compared to the other brands.

Back
Top Bottom