Carb problems 1975 CB125

Gene1975

Hi everyone!

I have a 1975 CB125 that had a number of problems when i purchased it. Beyond needing a top end rebuild (it was smoking something fierce), the carb was in need of rebuilding, and upon cleaning/replacing all of the associated carb bits, I discovered the choke (a manual guillotine type) was pretty much beyond repair.
So, after performing the top end rebuild (new valves, rings, seals, and gaskets), I went ahead and purchased a Mikuni VM22 after reading around the forums.

Once I replaced the carb, it started right up, but it was having trouble idling and the bowl was also overflowing. I guessed it was an improper float height, so I went ahead and adjusted the float several times. After a few attempts, it began surging and when adjusting the mix screw it just would stall.

So, I adjusted the float back to the setting it originally arrived in. It is back to overflowing and surging. Same story when adjusting the mix screw, it still stalls.

Just to recap, I have recently done a top engine rebuild on this bike. New rings, valves, keepers, gaskets, etc. It was smoking when I bought it but after I rebuilt the engine I didn't have that problem anymore but the carb is still giving me a headache.

Anyone have experience with Mikunis? Any suggestions on a different carb I can replace it with? Purchase an old stock carb?

REALLY want to resolve this soon so any input helps!!! SOS!! Thanks!

You could try a CG125 carb, I've got one on my CB because the idle jet snapped in the old carb. In my opinion the original carb was so much better in every way, looked nicer, more power, but a CG carb works fine

Sent from my E5823 using DO THE TON mobile app

Von, it probably doesn't matter.
Genuine will be jetted for a two stroke, knock off is 'probably' jetted the same but may be jetted for a 350 Royal Enfield or similar?

Back
Top Bottom