CB125 vs CB200... Which would you buy

Swanny

Uses:
1. Short commute to work and meetings, none of which would be on a road with a speed limit over 45mph
2. Fun weekender around town
3. Bike to learn how to work on engines

Which would you buy, why?

Depends a little on how dirty you want to get your hands (and, I imagine, which is available first?).

CB200 obviously has a little more umph. I personally don't like the tank styling (plenty of others do) but it'd be easy to change out. They're not that rare, so parts are pretty reasonable.

CB125 later models had CDI, so if it's reliable and trustworthy no dealing with points. CB125 used both drum and disk brakes up front depending on the year, but I think both are fine for that displacement and the riding you'll do. It's a thumper, so one less carb to worry about.

I have no idea about production numbers or anything like that, but my impression is there were more CB200s (or there are more CB200s that survived) because I see them for sale much more frequently than CB125s. Happy to be proven wrong there, though.

Both are within reach. Both seem to be in above average or good shape on most fronts. They're both 1975's oddly enough. Both are very similarly priced as well ($1500 for the 125, and $1800 for the 200)

I had a CB125 and loved it. Used to ride it to college a few days a week and take it out on short weekend cruises like you're planning to. I will say there were times I longed for a little extra power. I could easily cruise on a 55 mph road but people would be passing me and I'd wish I had a little more oomph. That bike was awesome though and I learned a lot working on it.

XTgRYL.png

Will say that the CB200 seems more rare and desirable. I'm a big fan of the tank design as called out above. This being said, some specific parts may be a little harder to find than the CB125. But with the CB200 you'll also have that extra bit of power.

I'd go with the CB200 if I were you but you really can't go wrong with either.

I use a CL125s for the "shop bike"
Great for running out for food, beer or parts.
875B247A-B033-44A3-BEEE-3C09E79350D6_zpslwhtewgg.jpg

They make SHIT café bikes, so keep it stock.
Never let me down, simple to work on.
NEVER put a pod on one.

Points really should not be a deal breaker on anyone with a vintage bike.

I had a CB200. Did not "feel" faster, but did feel heavier and had more junk to work on (two of everything)

Love it! Yeah if I did find a junker to transform I'd do a flat tracker style. I can't imagine a cafe'd 125 would be any fun to ride due to stance.

Size too, very cramped if you change the riding position to anything but standard.

I grew up riding a CB100, essentially the same bike. It's a hoot and a half to ride, one of those kind of bikes you just can't help but smile when you ride it. Need to get that little shit running again

CB125 - 1 cylinder, very simple and easy to work on
CB200 - 2 cylinder definitely not so easy to work on
If you want to learn about Honda OHC engines, get a 'dead' Chinese clone pit bike and fix it.
Any of the 50~110 motors are similar enough it won't matter (except cylinder is tilted at 10 degrees compared to upright~80deg on more conventional motors)

Back
Top Bottom