Battery Mounting in Electrical Tray (and other issues)

MattCB750OT

*I've searched and can't find a solution. Assume it's easier or more straight forward than I think it is.*

Ive got a electronics tray welded in that fits the battery. However, I realize that it shouldn't be just rattling around in there. I dont have a photo but its the same as the ones from Cognito. Should I be worried about it sitting directly on the metal, should there be some foam? etc. Should it be strapped down? etc.

Since I am being lazy, here is a photo of where the bike sits. Im in a pre-powder coating phase. Making sure everything fits etc. Ive got a few issues Im working on:
- steering radius is limited. I need to shave off and let it turn more, BUT the steering damper clamp and headlight clamps hit the tank. Do I put some dents in the tank, increase the offset and mess up the rake/trail?
- M-unit is stuck in customs from brazil for two months and have no idea where the thing is
- decide on the speedo unit. Use the motogadget pro, or use the tiny one and triple clamp from cognito which is clean and simple
- pick which rear shocks. Ohlins, Fox, the RFY rebuilt from forum member
- Exhaust. right now its a 4-2 - not sure what to do.
- etc. it never ends.

Yes, the battery needs to be secured somehow.

If the tray is raw steel, you can weld in a few tabs to hold it into place and then use a bungee to secure it. If the battery is a LI-ION variant, I recommend neoprene or some other rubber/cloth wrapped to help protect from vibration.

The tray is still raw, so that makes sense to weld in some tabs or something, and I can do that now. I guess I was just over thinking it. Need to do that as well for the other things under the seat too. I didnt want to use bolts through the bottom, to keep the clean look. Maybe weld a nut inside and then can bolt to that. Hmmm

Yeah the battery is a Ballistic, so figure I should be trying to limit the vibration. Maybe if it is strapped down, and also laying on a neoprene pad or something like you suggested. Interesting. I find its hard to see what others have done, without searching through 20 pages of threads.

I use an ABS battery "battery box" I made with a hand mill. Rubber isolated the mounts and a couple layers of cork to dampen some vibrations. Battery hasn't died on me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Back
Top Bottom