Appliance paint vs powder coat

runmikeyrun

Been Around the Block
Hey all.

I'm starting a new project and while powder coating things like wheels, forks, frames etc has been the gold standard I've been reading lots about the appliance paint. I sprayed a couple of items and I really like how it lays down and looks after its dried. Durability seems good.

I don't want to pay out the nose to powdercoat everything if appliance paint works well, but I also am concerned about having it coming off of the hubs, forks etc after I get the bike on the road. Anyone have any experience using it on things like hubs, forks, brake plates etc?

Thanks.

Follow the instructions, make sure the parts are clean, take your time and Appliance Epoxy is terrific stuff. You can use it on pretty much anything you want. It's affordable and simple work for the home builder. Holds up well to chemicals (to a point), heat and real world use. Much more durable than your regular off the shelf spray can paint. That said, you're really limited as to colors and finishes.

Nothing from a rattle can will be as strong or as durable as powder-coat. It really is the top level of readily available material coating outside of something like chrome or nickle plating and will actually hold up a little better than those in some situations. Powder-coat also gives you literally thousands of color choices and different finish options.

The decision comes down to cost for most. Powder-coat will always be exponentially more expensive than spray can applied coatings but costs are dropping as more shops open up.

One other issue folks like to bring up is that powder-coat is more difficult/expensive to repair if it is damaged.

If you can afford it, and you know that you are 100% finished modifying the piece than powder-coating is the way to go. If you're on a tight budget but still want something tough and easy to use, the appliance epoxy is great.

Just need to figure out what works best for you and your situation.

Thanks Von. I'm thinking durability is better with powder on things that get wear, but I'm thinking that fork lowers, chain guards etc are good to go. I know the appliance paint also comes in a liquid so touching up rock chips should be a piece of cake.

The new breed of epoxy paints are pretty damn good. Arguably not as tough as PC, but leaps and bounds ahead of the old engine enamels we used to have.

The other thing about PC is that if you get it in places where you don't want it, it's a bitch to remove. I had a pair of wheels done some years back, and despite the coaters assurance he would not get any PC in the bearing recesses or disc carrier areas....he did. Took a while to scrape / sand all that out and it kinda put me off the process.

Powder is always the first choice...but I have to say, the appliance epoxy has not disappointed me. I have used it on frames, wheels, fork lowers, etc. with great results. The key is to prep the area and apply the paint properly. Don't cut corners, don't rush, follow the instructions. And if you can "bake" during the drying time (even direct sunlight is great), all the better. That said, I have some appliance epoxied parts that still look as good as the day I painted them some 6 years ago.

VonYinzer said:
Holds up well to chemicals (to a point)

By "chemicals," you mean oil and gas?

I just used Rustoleum engine enamel on an airbox because I was a little worried about the long-term affects of oil on the foam filter on the epoxy. It's probably a non-issue, though, since the basic Rustoleum paint I used on a different airbox last year is holding up just fine.

Also, for what it's worth, Rustoleum's engine enamel matches their black appliance epoxy pretty much perfectly (I used the epoxy on the toolbox that hangs off the airbox).

Back
Top Bottom