The not-so-rare '77 CB200 build

flyswat2006

Been Around the Block
Here is my '77 CB200 cafe racer build. I got the bike for free from a co-worker. It has been held up in his mom's shed for an undetermined number of years. I know it was dumped into a swamp at some point. Luckily swamps are soft so the damage was minimal. After I cleaned off a good layer of oil and sawdust I managed to get it running. I actually commuted on it for three months. Then in November I started the cafe project. My plans were as follows:

Fiber Glass Cafe seat
Clip ons
Rear sets
HID head light
Chop fender
Mikuni Carbs
Replace mufflers
Paint everything
Lithium Battery

This is what it looked like after I cleaned it up and road it for a while. Looks nice but from the crash there are plenty of bent parts and dents.
P8250023.jpg

Here is work I did to mount the seat I got from Speedmotoco for $170 shipped. I picked it because it was narrow and would cover up the ugly frame these bikes are know for. I also made a tray for the Lithium battery. And the tail light, new shocks, and the weld job I did to cover the ugly gas tank mounting bracket.
P3040119.jpg

Here is the 4s1p lithium battery I got from emissions-free.com for $50 shipped. It should be able to turn over anything up to 600cc. It weighs nothing compared to the original Lead-acid and it doesn't need to be tended over the winter.
P3040122.jpg

The head light I made from a cheap 4x4 lamp and HID lamp from ebay. A bit of a hack job but looks good if you don't look too close. I'm just a little concerned about keeping the moisture out.
P3040123.jpg

RENO.HOOLIGAN said:
Damn good pickup, the headlight looks good. How much did you end up spending total for the headlight?
Think it was $12 for the 4x4 lamp and $80 for the HID lamp. So, ya, kind of pricy but 100x better than the original.

Here she is with the seat, bars, light, exhaust, rearsets, chopped and lowered fender.....
P2190096.jpg

Adding the rearsets were a bitch. Found these on ebay for a $110. Regret buying them since the pegs are too small and not being universal made them difficult to make work. The exhaust is in the way so I had to install them much higher than I had planned.
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p595/djryanrhymes/CB200T/P3040121.jpg

I like how the brake turned out. Kind of over kill but I had to use the materials available.
P3040120.jpg

Made a seat pan out of a piece of PVC I got from the local plastics shop. Just cut it to shape and used a heat gun to bend it.
P3040118.jpg

I used foam kneeling mats for the seat pad.
P3040124.jpg

Kind of thick but since the rear sets are so high I thought it might be better this way.
P3040125.jpg

Here is my makeshift paint booth. I used plastic from my Halloween setup, hence the radio active symbol and blood spatter.
P3170125.jpg

P3170126.jpg

This was a pain in the ass but it's turning out great.
P3250127.jpg

wow great work. curious question where did you get that bracket from on the speed moto site?

you should consider cutting the bottom rim of the seat so it matches up with the tank...it looks funny sitting below the tank IMO. Other than that, looks awesome. What color are you painting everything?

milehigh said:
you should consider cutting the bottom rim of the seat so it matches up with the tank...it looks funny sitting below the tank IMO. Other than that, looks awesome. What color are you painting everything?
The frame under the seat is really ugly - formed metal and lots of holes. I chose that seat specifically to cover it.
Paint will be orange similar to the motor.

I like the paintjob on the motor. I know what you mean by PITA! Nice job keep the updates coming.

Got my seat back from the upholstery shop. Sweet for $30. Total cost for the seat was $75.
P4050128.jpg

Just layed down the clear.
P4050125.jpg

Adding the rearsets were a bitch. Found these on ebay for a $110. Regret buying them since the pegs are too small and not being universal made them difficult to make work. The exhaust is in the way so I had to install them much higher than I had planned.
P3040121.jpg

That still looks awesome for being a PITA. LOL

Back
Top Bottom