83' Suzuki GS550 Speedo/Tach questioins

Aabickett

So, I bought an 83' Gs550. The bike was originally a track bike, and we bought it hoping to convert it to a cafe racer. I am not a motorcycle guy, so I am terribly ignorant. The tachometer and speedometer didn't work, and we wanted to replace them any way. I bought gauges from Dime City cycles, I heard it needed a 2240rpm Speedometer and a 1:4 tachometer. Bought them, but since they took alot off the bike, I am lost as to where to hook the new gauges up too. So, my direct questions are;
1. Where is the location of the Speedometer sensor originally?
2. Where is the location for the original sensor for the tachometer?
3. Does anyone have or know where to find a diagram for this motorcycle in detail?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 466
  • gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 332
I would have thought by 1983 the tach would be electronic like the 750's and 1100's, but the 550 still has a cable operated one (it should be on top of the cam cover).

Here is a list from CMSNL for parts and exploded diagrams:

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs550es-gs550ese-gs550ef-gs550esf-gs550esg-83-86-d-g-usa-e03_model16031/partslist/

As for the speedometer, it is also cable operated with a drive from the front axle but seeing as they've changed the wheels for racing they probably took that off.

You might be better off just going with an electronic speedo unit with a magnet and sensor.

whoa that bike is cool! got any more pics of that brake setup? is the motor hopped up?

I heard the engine had work done to it, and the carb is aftermarket I think. I am literally in the dark on this bike. The guy I bought it from also went on about the special front brakes it had on it, said they were quick disconnect types.

Attachments

• bikes.jpg
    bikes.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 429
  • bikess.jpg
    bikess.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 294
Looks like a Honda Hurricane front wheel....with a wheel weight held on by duct tape??

They are the stock carbs by the looks of things - the 550 ran 2 x dual throat Mikuni's. Similar to the Z1300 which ran 3 of them (6 cylinder).

Back
Top Bottom