Progress - motor work - Project 73 CL175

Re: NEW - Project Little Brother 73 CL175

check out batemanracing.com. all he does is 160, 175. he is a good guy and has all the tricks. just shoot him an e-mail about what you want to do and he will help you out.
i think his email is michael@batemanracing.com

ive looked at that site before. lots of good info. it seemed as though it had not been updated for a few years, but i will try the email. thanks. hope to get something done this weekend. i won a set of .25 over cb200 pistons. as soon as i get those i will figure out if i can bore my cylinders for these. my pistons and cylinders are fine. so if the 200's do not work ill just get a hone and rings.

well just got back in town and no piston in the mail. so ill keep waiting. i did a few minor things. figure ill post some pics so it looks like i am working on this bike

hoyer360.jpg

this is the seam at the top of the stamped frame

hoyer361.jpg

now its gone. MIG weld and grinder

hoyer363.jpg

dirty valve cover

hoyer364.jpg

stage 1 of cleaning.

not much progress

not too much progress. my triples are bent and i thought it was only the top, but it appears to be the set. might explain the lack of forks upon purchase. so i went to my brothers with questions. he said 'why not machine some AL triples?' so i am now searching for some bigger forks and ill press out the 175 stem and (with some expert help) machine some AL triples. because of the small stature of this bike does anyone have any suggestions on forks? ive been searching through the fork reference and ebay to see what is out there. i would like to keep the original wheel and brake. my only concern is that other forks will be too tall. i have no problem pushing an inch or two through the top triple. i plan on using clip ons anyway.

get some 35mm forks cb500 cb550 cb750 i think i read somewhere vtr250 forks are another option. Hope that helps

yeah im just worried about the length on the bigger displacement bikes, but im going to a salvage yard in the next few days. just going to grab something close in length and fabricate spacers for the axle and custom triples so i think i can find something. hows your bike doing?

i'm back into it again, got a little bit demotivated when i knocked my frame over with the just finished seat and tank and dinged them both. but have since scored an older toaster tank (similar to cb160) so the motivation is back. i'll have to post some updated pics in my thread.

well in a bit of haste i got some forks today. '74 cb360. they are 3in taller than the originals and 2mm bigger diameter. so now its time to start the plans for the triples.

progress report.

been cleaning and painting some stuff

first went at the frame with the grinder
frontpegtabs.jpg

ogframe.jpg

to this
shavedframe.jpg

shavedtank2.jpg

tank
tankoldpaint.jpg

baretank.jpg

wheels
rearhubdirty.jpg

rearwheelblack.jpg

even the helmet
helmet.jpg

helmetnewpaint.jpg

swingarm
rustyswingarm.jpg

swingarmclean.jpg

and i am on my way to get more appliance epoxy right now

more progress. i got my wheels laced up. the lacing wasnt too hard. once i figured out that its better to put in all the spokes and then start lacing it went fast. i need to press in my new bearings and then start truing the wheels. also got my forks ready for reassembly

before:
hoyer012.jpg

after: painted and polished
hoyer016.jpg

forks painted and polished
hoyer014.jpg

just a wire wheel on an angle grinder. everything came off easy with that

dcmspikes said:
just a wire wheel on an angle grinder. everything came off easy with that

oh, cool. Ill give that a go. I keep getting offered access to sand blasting equipment, but then it keeps falling through. Cant really complain though since its not like Im paying :)

what did you use to polish up the hub so nice. You didnt re-lace the wheel did you? It looks polished inbetween the two flanges as well. Right on!

i took the wheels apart. cleaned the spokes and rims and sprayed them with appliance epoxy. the hubs i used a bench grinder with buffing wheels and compound. they look much better then they started, but are far from mirror shine. i did try to get the buffing wheels in to the middle area of the hubs. relaced them and im still lagging on trueing them. having a hard time finding a front tire small enough to properly fit the rim. im looking for about 80/80 18 or 90/80 18

Have you found out anything about those 200cc pistons?

so the stroke is the same (if i remember correctly) and obviously the bore is larger (which is why i want to use them), but the wrist pins are larger in the 200cc pistons. the connecting rods do not have enough material to bore for the 200 wrist pins. no idea if i could use 200cc connecting rods. if you have any ideas, on how to fit a big pin in a small hole, please let me know. so my plan is to just hone the cylinders and use new rings and pistons(if neccesary). i will probably deck the head to add a little compression and will also be smoothing out the intake/exhaust ports. im lagging on all of this and need to get this bike back together.

Back
Top Bottom