Registering a bike that you do not have the ownership papers for in Ontario

L

locO

** Hey all, I re-attached the affidavid example for all you guys to download and use **

Enjoy!!

locO

Hi All,

I don't know about you, but I had to go to the ministery of transportation 5 times in order to get my bike registered in my name because the guy I bought it from didn't have the ownership and my affidivit was incomplete. Each time I went there, they said ... "well you need a section that says this", and it got bigger and bigger. I thus am posting this to the list as this is an affidavit that worked for at least two of us.

In order to get it registered in your name, you have to file an affidavit, which is a legal document which is essentially a legal testimony which can be used in a court of law if necessary. Thus, everything you put in it MUST BE TRUE.

In Section 4, Legally, you need to list everything that you've purchased for the bike to make it complete. The two most iportant items are the engine and frame.

Note 1: For every item you list on the Affidavit, you'll need to provide a receipt for if there was a dollar amount listed
Note 2: You will be taxed for the total cost of the bike, including the items you list in section 4.

You need to have this signed by a lawyer or a justice of the peace. But ... getting a signature is a hell of a lot cheaper then having him or her write it from scratch. This should save you large amounts of money.

If you have any questions let us know.

Admins ... you may want to sticky this thread as I'm sure it'll get used frequently as a resource.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Affidavid-example.doc
    25 KB · Views: 2,527
Man, you went about the hard way. There is a shortcut that can save you all that time and headache, but that's another story.

DrJ said:
Man, you went about the hard way. There is a shortcut that can save you all that time and headache, but that's another story.

Legally?

DrJ said:
Not 100% but I've done it twice successfully.

Ah. I see. Well ... between my lawyer and the ministry of transportation, this is the "correct" way of doing it. Just thought I'd save everyone the legal fees I had to pay. :)

Well if you want to save a lot of time, grief and money like me, my method is best.

DrJ said:
Well if you want to save a lot of time, grief and money like me, my method is best.

EVERYONE QUICK... RUN TO THE MINISTRY and recheck your ownership.. you might find out that you no longer own your bike!!.. LOL...

Hey, could we use your method on Tim's XS650?

locOleoN said:
EVERYONE QUICK... RUN TO THE MINISTRY and recheck your ownership.. you might find out that you no longer own your bike!!.. LOL...

Hey, could we use your method on Tim's XS650?

That's not necessary, that bike had all the papers.

Scarcat said:
Hi All,

I don't know about you, but I had to go to the ministery of transportation 5 times in order to get my bike registered in my name because the guy I bought it from didn't have the ownership and my affidivit was incomplete. WEach time I went there, they said ... "well you need a section that says this", and it got bigger and bigger. I thus am posting this to the list as this is an affidavit that worked for at least two of us.

In order to get it registered in your name, you have to file an affidavit, which is a legal document which is essentially a legal testimony which can be used in a court of law if necessary. Thus, everything you put in it MUST BE TRUE.

In Section 4, Legally, you need to list everything that you've purchased for the bike to make it complete. The two most iportant items are the engine and frame.

Note 1: For every item you list on the Affidavit, you'll need to provide a receipt for if there was a dollar amount listed
Note 2: You will be taxed for the total cost of the bike, including the items you list in section 4.

You need to have this signed by a lawyer or a justice of the peace. But ... getting a signature is a hell of a lot cheaper then having him or her write it from scratch. This should save you large amounts of money.

If you have any questions let us know.

Admins ... you may want to sticky this thread as I'm sure it'll get used frequently as a resource.

Enjoy!

You just need a Notary Public to sign and seal it. Much cheaper than a lawyer....$60 tops. I have done this quite often. Most of the bikes I buy don't have wheels let alone ownerships.

Now, getting year of manufacture plates or Vintage status for a motorcycle is another story.....I will post my Ministry experiences with that sometime.

Please do - I'm interested in running a 1975 plate on my BMW and a 1972 plate on my Yamaha. Anyone want to buy a 1976 plate? I've got #232 for Ontario.

i've used scarcat's way, a lawyer in aurora signed it for $22 , worked like a charm, i thought about drj's way, but chickened out,

Right-shift Ronnie said:
You just need a Notary Public to sign and seal it. Much cheaper than a lawyer....$60 tops. I have done this quite often. Most of the bikes I buy don't have wheels let alone ownerships.

Now, getting year of manufacture plates or Vintage status for a motorcycle is another story.....I will post my Ministry experiences with that sometime.

yah..i'd like to hear about that as well.. i'd love to put a year of manuf. plate on mine :)

Re: Year of Manufacture Plates

Tintin said:
Please do - I'm interested in running a 1975 plate on my BMW and a 1972 plate on my Yamaha. Anyone want to buy a 1976 plate? I've got #232 for Ontario.

I think in Ontario, plates where issued every year until 1980 (1973 for cars). After that they went to the sticker system. Up until 1965-ish Ontario required 3 plates fixed to motorcycles...one on the rear two on the front fender. You only need one for YOM.

Ok...hear is what you have to do:

Get yourself a Year of Manufacture plate at a swapmeet. It has to be the correct year for your motorcycle (i.e. 1972 Ontario plate for a 1972 Norton....it has to match your registration). The plate must be in good condition...unmodified and not rusted through AND NOT A REPLICA. There is usually plate vendors at the CVMG events like the Paris Rally or the Milton swap meet.

Call the Ministry of Transport Telephone Enquiry Unit at 416-235-2999 or 1-800-387-3445 and verify the plate number is not currently registered to another bike. This will save you a bunch of time and effort. The older the plate the chances are the plate number is not being used. Remember that up until 1980 the MOT issued new plates every year and reused the numbers from previous years. My 1951 plate only has 4 digits so I lucked out.

If the plate number is in use....get yourself another plate...lather, rise, repeat.

If the number is NOT currently registered, send the plate, vehicle registration, and your payment for the YOM application fee of $239.35 to:

Ministry of Transportation
Licensing Services Program
1355 John Counter Boulevard
P.O. Box 9200
Kingston, ON K7L 5A3

Once the plate application is reviewed, a letter approving or declining the request is sent to the sender along with the YOM plates.
• If declined, the application fee and the plates are returned to sender.
• If approved, the vehicle owner takes the letter of approval and YOM plates to a Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office.

The vehicle owner pays the required fees to have the plates registered and attached to the historic vehicle.

Sounds simple....right? It is until you get to the counter and the MOT moron tells you motorcycles don't qualify for YOM plates and you have to argue with them until you finally get them to call Kingston. Oh ya, you also have to explain the YOM plate to the Cop who pulls you over...and also explain why you are allowed to run without your headlight on (pre-1970)....but I digress....

You can also have your bike declared a "historic vehicle" if it is 30 years old or older. The registration fee is only $18 a year but it restricts you to parades and such.....very limited mileage too. You need to get a special "vintage" stamp on your ownership and this can only be done in Kingston. Don't confuse this with YOM plates....it's different. The registration fee for YOM is the same as regular plates....after of course you give them the $240 for the privilage to run an old plate.

I think YOM plates complete a restoration and I get many comments on the ones I have.

Just so I understand what a YOM license plate looks like ... do you mean these?
http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?satitle=ontario+license+plate

What does a YOM Motorcycle license plate look like?

Also note: I found a page on the interweeb that talks about it and validation stickers
http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/yom_plates.htm

Scarcat said:
Just so I understand what a YOM license plate looks like ... do you mean these?
http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?satitle=ontario+license+plate

What does a YOM Motorcycle license plate look like?

Also note: I found a page on the interweeb that talks about it and validation stickers
http://www.vintagecarconnection.com/yom_plates.htm

A Year of Manufacture plate (YOM) is the plate that Ontario issued the year your motorcycle (or car) was made. In the old days you got a brand new license plate every year you renewed your license. They switched to issuing just stickers (you kept the same plate) in 1973 for cars and 1981 for bikes. For the old plates, the MOT alternated colours from white with blue letters/numbers for even years (like 1968) to blue with white letters/numbers for odd years (like 1969).

So basically, just an old license plate....but it has to be for the year your bike was made.

I registered a Jensen-Healey for $10. No ownership. No receipt. No problem.

I brought the VIN with me to a license office in Barrie that had a Notary public on staff. Told her that I had paid for the car from the previous owner, and had stored the car for two years. Told her that the owner was nowhere to be found, no forwarding address. Gave her the last known address. Before you ask he had lost the ownership. Apparently satisfied with my story I was told to raise my right hand and swear out an affadavit testifying to the truth of my story. 5 minutes later I had an ownership and a UVIP.

BTW the license office in Alliston Ontario is very helpful as well, I highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom