Seeley 519 CB750

surffly said:
That's a great idea!
Was actually looking at a 177 though. I restored one once. Underrated bird.
Would like something that I could put on floats down the line though.

182's will take floats! I rode a few of them around up in Alaska . ;)
(note: skydivers are relentless in their attempts to jump out of any aircraft that will take them up. :)

canyoncarver said:
182's will take floats! I rode a few of them around up in Alaska . ;)
(note: skydivers are relentless in their attempts to jump out of any aircraft that will take them up. :)

Yep, one of the guys I worked with and still have breakfast with had to quit at one thousand jumps he's 63 and still would jump today if his wife would be home after.

I'll go up in anything that's airworthy, and I'll jump out of anything that's set up for it (just need a bit of solo jump prep)

Been "up" in a lot of cool stuff... I'm not a pilot but have steered many planes after takeoff, even logged a few hours in an blimp... yep B-Limp dirigible, but I don't think I will ever leave the surface with a damn rotax and chute... ever!

Hmmm the blimp deal just may be the best jump platform out there, you could put the nose in the wind at 2-3 knots and dump the air out of the ballonets and go straight up to pressure height and push the chickens (newbs) out LOL... Me no way if its running and or not on fire I'm landing on gear.

I've flown three planes (also after takeoff), and six ultralights, but no blimps.

Mooney turbo 210 was the most fun, at night.

Ummmm..... oops! I think we're off topic...

I flew the Dr. Killer. V-Tail Mooney from Miami to Bimini back in the 80's... How about that Seeley or are we in full hijack mode ::)

In keeping with the semi race idea of this bike, I thought that it would be fun to safety wire the bike as if it was being prepped for the track. I have worked in aviation for a while so I am well versed in safety wire, and have spilled much blood to prove it. Odd that I have never safety wired a bike before.

For those of you that do not know safety wire is a way to positively lock a nut, bolt, clip or anything else that you don’t want spinning off. Idea is that the wire pulls the bolt tight and will not allow it to loosen do to time, vibration and just dumb luck. Guys that run cars or bikes on the track know the list of things that must be wired in order to pass tech. The following picture shows an example of how it looks.
safetywireexample2_zpsipi3srey.jpg

If nothing else it is a visual check that someone took the time to work on a specific part on the bike. For this build I hope it just adds an interesting detail.

Safety wiring is a skill that is not that hard to learn. I would encourage more people to learn to do it. Wire is easy to find. You can twist the wire by hand, but there are special pliers that will twist the wire for you. This normally leads to a more aesthetically pleasing job, and for those that do this for a living…..cuts down on time greatly. Some will want to run out to your local Harbor Freight, but please don’t. No need to go out and spend $150 on a Milbars either. Fire up the Google and find a used set of Robinson’s Jet Twisters. I happen to really love the M-84 model ones. They are very well built, and will actually last for ever. I freely admit that I am a tool whore and have spent far to much money on Snap-On trucks in my life. But I do still firmly believe that it is worth the money to buy quality tools once.
d0044cfaa0904a7c74eec2d3242fb615_zps03ae2754.jpg

Simple, and I guess pointless update.

Not a lot of work has been done on the Seeley because I keep dragging Nortons home…

In the Navy, we were not allowed to use wire-tying pliers, as they were reputed to over-stress the wires; we did all lockwiring by hand, 12 turns to the inch, if I remember right...

It helps a LOT to have a good drill press with an adjustable vice, and LOTS of good quality small diameter drill bits.

...oh, and high quality wire of the correct diameter so that it is easy to work with, yet not so thin that it breaks under a reasonable stress test.

Well some parts started to stream in.
Very excited about some of them.
Also very happy to start checking whole jobs off of the list.

First "system" to be fully checked off will be the brakes. I swapped to the GL1000 front end.
Replaced all the pistons, seals, dust boots, pads and bleeders.
Now the icing on the cake is some killer lines and a master from SlingShot Cycles.
43bd6cd12d132f300ad64bc5c4bd4c98_zpsqie9q1vw.jpg

Have used their lines on some of my other bikes.
Great product, service and prices.

For the Seeley I wend with their new "black" lines. With a quick glance they look almost stock, but they are braided. I like this stealthy look.
Also ordered a new "retro" master. Real quality item, not some Chinese made ebay junk.

This should give me the performance I am looking for.

Waiting on a few more parts in the mail right now.

Still plugging away.
Progress has been a little slow these last few weeks.
I am 100% to blame. Been having to much fun with my other favorite hobby.
"Underwater Boat Racing"
f4922f1c2b528c6715cf41c684effa6d_zpsbgwqkxcw.jpg

Man, I don't get in enough bottom time (NAUI, along with my wyfe)

Nice brake lines, I have one like that on the 880 project.

Some more parts have been showing up and still more in the mail.

Went with some Tommaselli clip ons.
Also bought a "tommaselli style" clutch lever.
120980dae36079e79c85eece097b96ae_zpskr163ql3.jpg

Also some "Cerriani style" fork ears.

809d48db46d89b632a4d6c296bbe27c6_zpsobtvdduk.jpg

Next real issue I need to cross off the list is the exhaust.
Still have not found one.

Its been a lot of fun getting so many packages!
7d7b9a92d10a9190510afc5b4ad45c5e_zpsauycapzz.jpg

Bought some Tarozzi rearsets.
Have used them on other bikes and like them very much. I will need to make some plates to get them to work on my frame.
I also assume I will need to mess around with linkages a bit. Did buy a few different ones to start playing with though.

Think these shinny new parts will look funny agains the "patina" of the rest of the bike.
I hope that it does NOT motivate me to start making things look nice before it it running 100%.

Still more stuff is in route, and I hope next week to do some actual wrenching a have a meaningful update of the project because I sense some are bored following.

Small rant.....
So I ordered "37mm Headlight Mounts"
I knew that they are the basic Cerriani knock offs that many places make.
Have seen the Emgo "kit" and didn't really want that. I am not a fan of shims or Emgo. Also the Emgo set up is marked as 35mm-39mm-41mm so they wouldn't work for me anyway.
Spent a little bit more money on the 37mm only ones. The idea was that it was just what I wanted.

Well I get a Emgo kit in the box, and guess what.....they don't freaking fit!
Seller responded to me saying "use the shims"
Kinda pissed.
Paid more to get what I wanted, and got exactly what I didn't want.

4C9F8D99-9DCB-490D-BE1B-A0949CCD6567_zpsq5s5lx6e.jpg

07364B51-6711-4155-975C-B834DAF60AEC_zpsfbb0loe2.jpg

Since the ears are not mounted I cant mount the bars and such.
Just mock up.
I think they will work very well.
15F609E7-D74C-4B51-8AD8-43B75F98EE7C_zpsfzn8stit.jpg

if eBay... do the ebay return, they give you a return label and all the money back in a few days after the seller receives it.

Tune-A-Fish said:
if eBay... do the ebay return, they give you a return label and all the money back in a few days after the seller receives it.

It is ebay.
Im sure either Ebay or the seller will "make me whole"
Just bent to loose the time and such.

Back
Top Bottom