Dirtbag Oil-Boiler

doc_rot said:
I still cant figure out why they would design it like this. Perhaps is a suspension loading thing.

Indeed. The idea is to remove the impact of suspension motion from the brake action. If you imagine the wheel locked by the brake, the bike not moving, and the suspension moving up and down, you will see that the contact patch of the tire actually moves back and forth very slightly. This is because the whole assembly is rotating around the swing arm pivot. This adds and subtracts very slightly from the action of the brake as the suspension moves, making the brake slightly more and less effective. How important this is no doubt depends on the aptitude of the driver. For most of us, evidently this is so minor that it need not be addressed, but for the ultra skilled, getting out that last little bit of performance likely is of some use. Although the value of the back brake certainly is quite small when you unload the back of the bike when braking hard, that same unloading makes controlling whether the wheel locks or not a very sensitive process, so adding that little refinement may be of use to some riders.

I cut some K&N filters down and needed a new endcap. I had wanted to try this process for a while to see if it would work with wood. Drew some parts up and routed a die. I used .040" 3003 which I annealed. First attempt was with douglas fir and it was too soft so it didn't give it very good definition, plus i didn't leave enough gap to allow for the metal to buckle around the perimeter. Chopped off the extra and pressed them again this time with a die made from oak. You can see the difference in the side by side photo. came out great and cost me almost nothing to make. I will definitely be using this process in the future!

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    898.8 KB · Views: 235
Very cool. I'd been playing around with this same method to make some parts for the Bus project. I 3D printed a stamping die but even on full fill the PLA wasnt dense enough for a small stamped area.

advCo said:
Very cool. I'd been playing around with this same method to make some parts for the Bus project. I 3D printed a stamping die but even on full fill the PLA wasnt dense enough for a small stamped area.

Would ABS be stronger?

irk miller said:
Stronger, but flexible. Strength isn't the issue. Hardness is.

Yep, it was a simple enough shape I could carve it out of oak no problem. I was also just using my bench vise to press it, which didn't really have enough force either.

advCo said:

If you’re on Instagram check out 3d_magic_mike he has some crazy ideas about using 3D printing, and where I got this idea from. He 3D prints a die with PLA and leave the back open so he can pour resin in to make it hard. He’s stamping some pretty complex stuff and getting amazing results

Attachments

• 438B0BE3-8C29-45A7-B5A9-91AC37AE041F.jpeg
    438B0BE3-8C29-45A7-B5A9-91AC37AE041F.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 294
doc_rot said:
If you’re on Instagram check out 3d_magic_mike he has some crazy ideas about using 3D printing, and where I got this idea from. He 3D prints a die with PLA and leave the back open so he can pour resin in to make it hard. He’s stamping some pretty complex stuff and getting amazing results

Very cool. I hadn't thought of that. I just checked out his account, he really is doing some cool stuff. I will have to use this method in the future, thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom