garagedoreen's Honda CB550 build

hey if your throwing the bearings out how about throwing them my way LOL. sometime's you gotta use washers and play with the spacing. i like the All Beaing brand better, seems like less fuss getting everything to line up. you got washers with the kit right? use the 4mm washer under the bearing to raise it up. maybe this with help you out.
http://www.stephenbottcher.net/Honda/tapered.htm
750 and 550 are the same setup.

junkyard jon said:
hey if your throwing the bearings out how about throwing them my way LOL. sometime's you gotta use washers and play with the spacing. i like the All Beaing brand better, seems like less fuss getting everything to line up. you got washers with the kit right? use the 4mm washer under the bearing to raise it up. maybe this with help you out.

thanks for the link. I think my problemis that bottom cup and bearing. it looks way too tall. it doenst go in the head tube deep enouph. Ill give it another try and look. but yeah I think i just got the wrong bearing. Ill try to measure it out again when I get off work.

thanks again

I had to use the washers under the lower bearing on my cb650. Everything worked out after that. BTW, your bike build is incredible.

junkyard jon said:

by this picture in the link. I dont think my bottom cup is inside the head stock deep enouph.. On my bike the bottom cup is sticking out a little and the rubber seal is way outside the head stock tube.  I guess Ill check it when I get home tonight... I hope soo!! If so I need to hit in the bottom cup inside another quarter inch.

install_bottom.jpg

Not to doubt your skills or anything, but is the race deep enough in the headstock? Did you get powdercoat inside the headstock? Might be keeping the race from seating properly?

Try and take a pic of the underside of the headstock so we can see the race. I've done a few sets, and you've got to drive it up pretty deep.

That reference pic you showed was missing the rubber seal under the tapered roller bearings (not your bike)

Did you hit the new races in using the old race and a hammer?

matt365 said:
Not to doubt your skills or anything, but is the race deep enough in the headstock? Did you get powdercoat inside the headstock? Might be keeping the race from seating properly?

Try and take a pic of the underside of the headstock so we can see the race. I've done a few sets, and you've got to drive it up pretty deep.

That reference pic you showed was missing the rubber seal under the tapered roller bearings (not your bike)

Did you hit the new races in using the old race and a hammer?

yeah i hit it in with the old race and a dead blow hammer. The bottom race is sticking out of the headstock about 2mm. Ill take a look later and snap a picture.

okay.... got that headset put together. you guys were right. the bottom race wasnt hit in deep enouph. i didnt notice when i first installed it. but yeah, everything fit great. That bottom race cup goes in pretty deep. Rookie me I guess. But thanks again for all the help.

I got the front end, and forks put together this morning. Here is a picture.

frontend.jpg

looks good man but you may want to get the motor in first before you start to assemble the rest... will make the install so much easier... if not you are going to scratch the hell out of that clean frame

JRK5892 said:
looks good man but you may want to get the motor in first before you start to assemble the rest... will make the install so much easier... if not you are going to scratch the hell out of that clean frame

I was thinking of getting a rolling chassis first so I can but it on the bike stand so it sits solid before i stick the motor in.

unless you have a horizontal mount cherry picker to use to slide it in, that is going to be SUPER hard! even with 3 or 4 guys helping you... trust me i have tried it... unless it is a V twin it is CRAZY hard to get in there... your best bet is to lay the motor on the side, slide the frame over the top of it... then stand it all up together... on the smaller motors like the 200 and even some 350s you can muscle them the 500s are just a but much... if you check out my build i just dropped my cherry in last week, have some good tricks to protecting the paint and crap in there

JRK5892 said:
unless you have a horizontal mount cherry picker to use to slide it in, that is going to be SUPER hard! even with 3 or 4 guys helping you... trust me i have tried it... unless it is a V twin it is CRAZY hard to get in there... your best bet is to lay the motor on the side, slide the frame over the top of it... then stand it all up together... on the smaller motors like the 200 and even some 350s you can muscle them the 500s are just a but much... if you check out my build i just dropped my cherry in last week, have some good tricks to protecting the paint and crap in there

sounds like a good idea. yeah when I pulled the motor it was a biyatch. I like that idea of laying the motor down on its side and then installing the frame. thanks.

but now... i got to build the motor...... I hanvnt even started the motor build yet.....

but yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

if you go to the hardware store and get the foam that they wrap pipes in in the winter that will protect your frame great drurring the install... cost like 3 bucks and can save you $$$$ on paint repair!
2ro4b37.jpg

garagedoreen said:
okay.... got that headset put together. you guys were right. the bottom race wasnt hit in deep enouph. i didnt notice when i first installed it. but yeah, everything fit great. That bottom race cup goes in pretty deep. Rookie me I guess. But thanks again for all the help.

I got the front end, and forks put together this morning. Here is a picture.

Ahhhh, sweet. I love being right! ;D

Glad it worked out for you.

JRK5892 definitely has the right idea with protecting your frame. Hey JRK, you might know this; when powdercoating a frame, do you have to run a tap and sand it down to bare frame where you mount your ground? I don't know how well it would ground through powder? hmmmmm. :-\

your frame should be at bare metal when you powder... i hook my ground to the hooks and then your can adjust the current as you go further aways from the ground... also hot flock the frame it will help to get full coverage.

HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

okay, im sitting here waiting to leave to my girlfriends, friends New Years Party and I was wondering how the body is going to look on my bike. So i couldnt wait. I just went out back to the garage and mock'd up the seat and tank to see what it is going to look like....... man.... its starting to look like a bike again. not a box of parts in a box in the the corner of my garage for a year.... I need to stop on the bike part of it right now to finish up the motor and mount the motor into the frame before I can go on. (thanks for the tip) man... i cant wait to see it on its wheels!!! Here are some pictures. sorry, first bike build so im just excited. :D

cb550build_front.jpg

cb550build_side.jpg

cb550build_rear.jpg

Lookin good! I'm doing my first build too, so I totally understand your excitement! Everytime I get something else done, I go out and take pictures and post about it!
I love those dents, do you have a thread on how you did them? I'm getting ready to dent a tank and I'm looking to do something similar with the sharp angles at the front...
Thanks,
Alex

Back
Top Bottom