1990 Suzuki DR350 Medusa Transducer Hellride

1990 Suzuki DR350 Moonbat Hellride

SONIC. said:
Purdy
Does it run yet? ;D

This is the first start. No adjustments. It ran about 20 seconds at a high idle, then settled right in. Smoke is just burn off.

.https://youtu.be/zZRgHRTXwOU

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Re: 1990 Suzuki DR350 Moonbat Hellride

dayyyyum......wtg..

hahaha. Bring it on.

We'll run this one through the paces to see how durable and reliable it can be.

94275-Jason-Sudeikis-Satan-YEAH-gif-GitI.gif

SONIC. said:
You ride it yet?
Not yet. I got it running about 10pm last night. The last time I test rode a dirt bike that late the cops drove by. I was doing laps in the back yard, drunk and raising hell, so no surprise there. Haha. I plan to ride it today- just need to clean the tank.

I need to get a supertrapp for the XL...

In other news when do we start converting all the old XLs and 360s to needle bearings?

advCo said:
In other news when do we start converting all the old XLs and 360s to needle bearings?

I've already bought the bearings and material to convert the 360(378). I'll be taking it apart to do the work once I get the DR and BMW finished. I also have two XL motors (a 175 and 250) that will get the test.

Great bike, like what you did with the head. I've got a 99 DR350 Dirt model but made it street legal. I did tons of mods to mine, DRZ400 piston big bore (453cc). Keintech airbox, 37mm FCR carb. porting. DR350SE stator and CDI. My bike rips now.
The reason I built my motor was my original motor had a catastrophic failure. These bikes are notorious for the pin in the counterbalance gear to come loose and push trough the hole in the crankshaft that lines it up. This causes the crankshaft and counterbalance to hit and blows it through the cases. Jesse at Keintech Engineering has a fix for it but you need to send him the counterbalance gear and crankshaft. There are plenty of DR's that never have this issue but it SUCKS when they do. If you ever tear it down you should definitely get it done.
Good luck with your build.

JAGspeed said:
Great bike, like what you did with the head. I've got a 99 DR350 Dirt model but made it street legal. I did tons of mods to mine, DRZ400 piston big bore (453cc). Keintech airbox, 37mm FCR carb. porting. DR350SE stator and CDI. My bike rips now.
The reason I built my motor was my original motor had a catastrophic failure. These bikes are notorious for the pin in the counterbalance gear to come loose and push trough the hole in the crankshaft that lines it up. This causes the crankshaft and counterbalance to hit and blows it through the cases. Jesse at Keintech Engineering has a fix for it but you need to send him the counterbalance gear and crankshaft. There are plenty of DR's that never have this issue but it SUCKS when they do. If you ever tear it down you should definitely get it done.
Good luck with your build.

I haven't read about the counterbalance issue, yet. Thanks for the warning. The plan is to street this one too. On that DRZ swap: Was it a DRZ sleeve or one from LA Sleeve? I have an 89mm piston to do a 441, but no sleeve. I hoped the Eiger 400 would give me enough meat, but they don't. I found a DR350 jug at a salvage that happened to be re-sleeved and bored to 86mm. I have no idea what piston they used for 86mm. Unfortunately, they turned the base of the sleeve down to 89mm, so now I search for another. It's been suggested that an XR400 big bore sleeve, which utilizes an 89mm piston might work.

irk miller said:
I haven't read about the counterbalance issue, yet. Thanks for the warning. The plan is to street this one too. On that DRZ swap: Was it a DRZ sleeve or one from LA Sleeve? I have an 89mm piston to do a 441, but no sleeve. I hoped the Eiger 400 would give me enough meat, but they don't. I found a DR350 jug at a salvage that happened to be re-sleeved and bored to 86mm. I have no idea what piston they used for 86mm. Unfortunately, they turned the base of the sleeve down to 89mm, so now I search for another. It's been suggested that an XR400 big bore sleeve, which utilizes an 89mm piston might work.

My cylinder was an LA sleeve modification. The DRZ piston is 90mm and did require me to machine the head some to keep the compression down so I could run pump gas.
If you look a Kientech's website there is some info on the counterbalance pin. Jesse is the DR guru there. He is an older guy with tons of info. and likes to talk. He told me that he ad an aluminium sleeve for the big bore kit that ran a little cooler. I know he has the big bore gaskets also.

The bike was bought with stock hardware missing for the side covers so I machined some washers out of delrin...

9e0bd716ca00dc0b17919a8fab46dce3.jpg

The plastics are actually in decent shape except for yellowing on the tank and oxidation on the fenders and side covers. How I like to restore it is wet sand with 1000 grit paper and soapy water. In this case, Clorox cleanup for white plastic. Then polish with Meguiers Ultimate Black plastic restorer. More on the tank later...

b6e1b38fcfba75e7de144c2973585c30.jpg

Back
Top Bottom