1973 CB350G Canadian Noob Build (Gotta start somewhere!)

M.B Co said:
Holy. shit.

Good job. How many hours do you have in that?

Haha thanks! Exactly the response I was hoping for after all that hard work. I'm not sure I understand the question but I will try to answer as best I can.. How many hours in total??? That's a tough one to answer. I would say anywhere from 12-20hrs per part total process. The larger pieces with the tight spaces take the longest amount of time for everything. It took me a few months working mostly on weekends. The sanding process was intense.. I was coming home from work and sanding for 3 hr sessions on multiple nights during the week.

goldy said:
I don't know why more people don't take the time to do this. Those Japanese castings polish up so nicely. Keep up the good work, BZ!

Thanks man! I know, I almost couldn't believe my eyes watching these parts transform. Time well spent as far as I'm concerned.

jag767 said:
+1 for time well spent. It's a complete bitch to do, especially when you feel like a hamster on a wheel the whole time, but the end result is awesome! The only problem I've had is the oxidation afterwards. Sure you can clear over it, but the high temp engine clear tends to yellow I've found. Clear powdercoat?

Really? I haven't that! Thanks for the tip. I knew they oxidize quite easily at this stage though. I did plan on clear powdercoating them, unless I hear of a better solution. A guy told me about this product called ShineSeal and I looked it up. Looks a bit gimmicky but seems to seal up the aluminum well. Only thing is it only lasts a few years... Definitely not going through this process every couple of years, that's for sure. So clear PC it is!

That sir is outstanding work 8) the attention to detail and sticking with it no cutting corners is the mark of a dedicated DTTr :p ime hooked all the way with ya project, keep up the standard 8) trying ya way and getting real results thanks man :p

Don't worry about re-doing it every few years. If you rub a good protectant onto it, then once a year or so you clean it off with some solvent, thoroughly dry the parts, then coat it again, you probably won't need to use the buffing wheel.

It's just like protecting your car paint with wax. Wash the old wax off, dry and clay thoroughly, then wax over it again. No need to repaint the car. Hah.

If you want a real old time look, go for shouldered aluminum rims. I got a set of knock-off looks like Akront rims for the Baby Tracker and the extrusions look better than the original Akronts I have.
I can look up the vendor (in California) if you are interested - email or PM me.
Buchanan spokes are the bomb if you can afford them - I met Jim Buchanan at the Motorcycle Dealers Show Daytona Speed Week 1973 - and the kids are keeping up the quality of the merch.
Alternative would be powdercoat your old spokes or buy Far East ones.
BTW, love the polishing job.
Pat

Hey guys! Just a quick update/video before I move on to some major progress on the 350.

I wanted to make a video to show and teach people the exact process I went through to achieve that mirror finish on my motorcycle parts. I saved one of the smaller parts until last (the oil filter cover) and took it through the entire process from start to finish. I hope you can get a real sense of what I went through to get this work done and that it also helps you achieve the same results. I had no idea shining aluminum was so technical and I did a lot of research to complete it, so I hope it helps some of you out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFGR4OQVwDc

On Another Note

the 350 is coming along fabulously. A few weeks ago I took the frame to Rob at Bullit Custom Cycles to get some help on cutting & welding on a seat hoop. He also built me a really nice electronics tray for under the seat and a nice seat pan! It's starting to mold and take shape.. It's really exciting!

I am currently in the process of editing the video and will be done soon. I hope to post pics and video within the next few days. :cool:

In the meantime I am dropping off the frame and various parts to get powder coated tomorrow night and should have that back in the next couple weeks. I have decided to only clear coat my hubs due to the fact that I do not want to cloud up all the work I put into shining up my aluminum parts. I was shown an example of what clear coating does to shiny aluminum and was not satisfied. I have come across a few products that will seal up my engine covers nicely, but am still doing a bit of research on that before I make my final decision. With these products, the seal only lasts a few years, so I figure it will be a lot easier for me to clear coat the hubs so I do not have to deal with them again anytime soon. It would be a real bitch to have to dismantle the wheels every couple of years to seal them again. The engine covers and fork tubes are very easily accessible and I will have no problem.

While at Powder, I intend on getting into the engine! I am doing the final check on engine parts I need to order and will be placing that in the next few days from Bore-Tech. So stay tuned!! Things are going to start coming back together and getting really exciting :D

Hope everyone else has been enjoying some brisk spring riding.. My XV750 custom is still in storage. Hoping to jump on her soon!

Progress. It's a beautiful thing. A few weeks ago I took my frame up to Rob at Bullit Custom Cycles to get some metal work done and had a great experience hanging out with him at his shop for the day. The thing I really like about Bullit Customs is that they focus primarily on amazing customer service. Something I really feel is lacking today. When I mentioned to Rob that I needed some metal work done on my 350 he immediately invited me up to the shop to get a first hand experience. He welcomed my camera and my shenanigans, offered me a cigar and we went about grinding, drilling & welding. It was epic.

Rob cut the rear part of the frame and accurately measured & welded in a custom LED seat hoop. It has a groove cut into the rear part of the hoop which will integrate a high powered LED light strip for my rear running/brake light and signals. I cannot wait to wire that bad boy up! He then measured and cut a custom seat pan which fit the new seat hoop perfectly. Underneath it all he built an electronics tray that will fit my battery, Motogadget m-Unit and various other electronics. It fits nice and snug beneath the seat pan so everything will clean up very nicely when it comes time for wiring.

It was amazing watching Rob work and I learned a lot from him that day. I am fairly confident that with some practice I can do my own metal work on my next build (officially hooked!) once I get my own space and proper equipment.

I have recently dropped the frame and various parts off to be powder coated. I am eagerly anticipating the fresh paint so I can start building this bike back up. Once I get the frame & parts, I can start to assemble the new Buchanan rims, spokes and fresh Avon rubbers! Sooner or later I will have a rolling chassis on my hands and things will start to get really fun.

In the meantime, I am hoping to disassemble the top end of the engine this weekend! I am extremely excited for this. I’ve always wanted to work on my own engine and I’m pretty excited to be starting this process. I’ll get into more details about the engine stuff later as there will be some significant mods made… Things are happening, slowly but surely!

Enjoy the vid & pics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_F8EzykfQ

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2935.JPG
    IMG_2935.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 303
  • G0025947.JPG
    G0025947.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 287
  • G0025952.JPG
    G0025952.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 304
  • G0025961.JPG
    G0025961.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 298
  • G0035982.JPG
    G0035982.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 299
  • G0096123.JPG
    G0096123.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 289
  • G0116183.JPG
    G0116183.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 304
  • G0116197.JPG
    G0116197.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 290
  • G0146245.JPG
    G0146245.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2937.JPG
    IMG_2937.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2934.JPG
    IMG_2934.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2929.JPG
    IMG_2929.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2894.JPG
    IMG_2894.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2896.JPG
    IMG_2896.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2898.JPG
    IMG_2898.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2911.JPG
    IMG_2911.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2915.JPG
    IMG_2915.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2917.JPG
    IMG_2917.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 298
More pics..

Attachments

• IMG_2977.JPG
    IMG_2977.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2978.JPG
    IMG_2978.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_2982.JPG
    IMG_2982.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2984.JPG
    IMG_2984.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2976.JPG
    IMG_2976.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2975.JPG
    IMG_2975.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_2974.JPG
    IMG_2974.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2970.JPG
    IMG_2970.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2967.JPG
    IMG_2967.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2949.JPG
    IMG_2949.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Rob_seatpan1.jpg
    Rob_seatpan1.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 254
That's awesome that they let you in to the shop with open arms like that! Looks like some good welding, and I like how the original frame is tied in to the new hoop.
Gotta ask though, have you checked that you'll have clearance for the rear tire with the flat pan?

Great progress mate n sweet style coming thru love the LED idea might have to hijack that theme :eek: look forward to ya next update :p

CALfeRacer said:
That's awesome that they let you in to the shop with open arms like that! Looks like some good welding, and I like how the original frame is tied in to the new hoop.
Gotta ask though, have you checked that you'll have clearance for the rear tire with the flat pan?

Yup! Rob has a customers CB350 in his garage at the moment with another battery box he built, installed and fully put together and we checked for measurements on clearance on that before he made the box.

Luugo86 said:
did you slug those welds on the frame loop?

pacomotorstuff said:
Did Rob box the upper frame rails?
Just wondered.
Pat

I have no idea what any of this means lol! I'm not an experienced metal worker or welder. Care to explain?

yorkie350 said:
Great progress mate n sweet style coming thru love the LED idea might have to hijack that theme :eek: look forward to ya next update :p

Thanks man! Ya the LED will be a sweet little touch! Cheers 8)

Cool, glad you guys checked! Looks like it's coming along nicely, and I agree about that LED in the hoop. Pretty slick!

Back
Top Bottom