Sachs 150cc 2-stroke repair

datadavid

Over 1,000 Posts
So i got this 50's 2stroker me and pops put together from parts when we were kids, didnt really know what we were doing and there was a problem with the primary axle and clutch action.
Just recently pulled it apart and found this:

Gonna give it some good warm love using a few tricks i learned.

Welded the lip back up, damn those germans really knew how to cast aluminium! Zero problems welding this up:

Now i just have to mill the surfaces back to spec..

Turns out the bearing housing shrunk a bit when i welded it, kind of what i hoped for though as it had gotten excessively loose from years of abuse..
My old man ran this engine hard in a gocart for years before we put it back in the bike.
Still salvageable though, but it would be faster if i could machine it back to spec.
Now im doing it redneck backyard style :D you dont want to know..

The redneck-tech is ready to be forgotten as i installed the bearing just now..

Preparing for assembly, trying to have this neat little smoker assembled by tomorrow evening!

No such luck.. ended up going to look at a Bsa 650 '69 for my girl, really nice bike with newly rebuilt engine. Testdrove it, ran fine. Cash up front and the deal was done - when i got a mile out of town the fucker seized!
Turns out the old (senile)dude who sold it had put a valve on the oil line and forgot about it..
Gonna take a while to get over the feeling of having seized a beauty like that..

datadavid said:
Gonna take a while to get over the feeling of having seized a beauty like that..

That's gotta ruin your day! Do you have any recourse, or will you rebuild her?

No at least the seller did the honorable thing and took the thing back. We can still buy it if he gets the crank reground.. not that i would trust a senile dude to rebuild the thing, even if he's been a mechanic his whole life. Would rather do it myself. Or assist him.. dont really have the time though. A lot of if-only's running around in the back of my head right now.. damn. It ran so sweet.

So the bearing housing needs a few thou's ground off as it sits too shallow right now. Axle needs a bit more freeplay..

Got the bearing corrected, now im just waiting for a few paper gaskets for the cases.. could just make my own but they dont really cost anything.
Hopefully engine will be assembled next week.

Spent an hour or so sanding this shim down by hand. -0,15mm let the middle gear axle sit perfectly in the case, it also lines the clutch basket up perfectly with the crank gear, which was the original reason failure, so thats good!

Didnt get any pics of the assembled clutch, things got a bit violent and sweaty before it was complete. Some bitter cursing was needed as well.

And here she sits, just a few drops of oil in the gearbox and some gas and she's ready to go. Beautiful old engine this!

Pulled the kicker with my hand, it fired right up! Looking forward to mounting it in the bike and testing the thing. Never ran proper in my life, now maybe hopefully it will.

Back
Top Bottom