1981 Virago Clutch Won't Pull - Help

bryanjoh

So I've been doing a Virago cafe build over the past couple months and am now on the tail end of things. See build thread here,
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64897.0

I started shortening cables the other night, but when I got to the clutch cable, I came to realize that the lever arm that the cable pulls on the left case will not pull.

Now, I had the left case off a while ago when I was replacing the starter gear (see build thread if needed, top bit of page 1), and I am assuming I messed something up when reinstalling the case cover which contains this lever arm assembly. I would like to avoid pulling the case off again, as it was a bitch to get back on the first time, especially with liquid gasket.

Does anybody know what may be causing this lever arm to refuse to rotate at all or has experienced this?

Thanks,
Bryan

Photo%202015-07-21%207%2043%2011%20PM_zpsaspsffoe.jpg

Photo%202015-07-21%207%2043%2017%20PM_zpsztzucy7v.jpg

Photo%202015-07-21%207%2043%2025%20PM_zpsgwuorrga.jpg

yamaha-xv920rh-1981-clutch_bigyau0869c-1_9bbe_zpsolwumcvv.png

When trying to actuate the clutch, was the cable attached and you were using the hand lever?
It's not likely you will be able to move the lever at the case by hand.

That arm is difficult to move without using the lever. Get a helper, I use the flat of a handle of an adjustable wrench, lift up. Then have your helper feed the end of the cable into the collet.

Or if you don't have a helper, use the wrench to lift the arm. Then in cert a snap ring wrench into the small holes in the arm and the case cover. You'll see. Then with the snap ring wrench holding the arm up, feed in the cable. It's a PITA regradless.

Ok, this may be helpful, I have just been trying to grab the arm with my hand and turn it. I'll give it a good twist tonight and see if I can get it to move.

Thanks gents.

Solved: apparently its just damn near impossible to turn that arm with anything but the help of the cable. Pulls fine connected to the lever and cable.

Back
Top Bottom