CX500 minor bob job - whooooot issues solved goes like a bat out of hell, for an old bike at least

Re: Cx500 minor bob job - Now it runs

Hey we both did seats today, great (or equally bent) minds thinking alike?

Ha yep. Saw yours. Looks good. Did some foam trimmin after some more cuttin.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358381741390.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358381741390.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,130
  • uploadfromtaptalk1358381766785.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358381766785.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,203

Cool! That's a nice shape for that bike, should look sweet....

I think this is the leather for the seat, want to do the dymond pattern stiching but we'll see how the old singer can handle it. It is thick enough to last I think but thin enough not to give my machine fits. Should match the grips nice and if there is any left after the seat may use t for something like a tool pouch or accents.

Attachments

• -kgrhqz-qee63z2hzgeboy-wzi7nq-60_1_3142_4.jpg
    -kgrhqz-qee63z2hzgeboy-wzi7nq-60_1_3142_4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,289

Also, got an email that the tail light he likes is ordered and new LED signals and LED Flasher unit. Looking at the pick of the light it will need a mount made and I may do a low cowel or small bum stop on back to house it. Decide that once it arrives.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJEoE917SHz7oBPoBSwNsyw~~60_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqVHJEoE917SHz7oBPoBSwNsyw~~60_1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,151
  • Y242bd_(2).jpg
    Y242bd_(2).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,163

Seat Concept:

Attachments

• concept seat.png
    concept seat.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 458

I think that's the name of a strip club near me......

Good progress Maritime!

Ha I have been to a strip joint called that in Montreal. Was scary. Makes more sense in beaver co. Have to figure out how to mount the rear of the pan. Want to keep the factory mounts but they are chunky. We'll see what I can come up with. Once the tail light gets here on sat I might do a small cowel on the back. Bruce will have to decide.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Sadly no. I did get the tail light so I will maybe look at how I will mount it this weekend. Need to continue the tear down and the plywood arrived for the table so that will be needed soon.

I'm jetting a CX500 in my shop right now. I am keeping the airbox, but I modified it. There is a rubber snorkel where the air enters the box. It's there mostly to reduce intake noise. I removed it. Inside the box is an aluminum perforated plate covered with fine mesh. I assume that it's there as a flame arrestor, but it clearly adds substantial restriction to flow. I yanked that out. Lastly, I replaced the filter with a K&N. These three changes will require substantial jetting changes.

I increased the main jet from 78 to 90, and the intermediate jet from 115 to 120.

I still have to adjust the valves, sync the carbs, and adjust the idle mixture. The bike seems waay too lean to me yet, but it's a little hard to tell with an ambient temperature of 25F! After I ran it for a while yesterday, I got a compression reading on warm engine of only 60-70 psi. I may try another Seafoam treatment, and run it a bit to see if it improves. I'm hoping that adjusting the valves will help it, too. If I don't get the compression up to at least 125 psi, a ring job is in this bike's future.

Since you plan to keep your airbox, I'll let you know what I end up with for jetting, as you will probably want to make the same airbox modifications that I did.

Anyone have jetting recommendations for me here?

Thank ADC. I noticed all that crap in the airbox too. I actually have decided to go pods and try the jet kit posted buy a member for the CV carbs. A US company has done some homework and produced a pod package. I will use it then tweak the jets. If It still sucks I will put the airbox back with a K&N and try your trick. I'll post results here after the kits are ordered and arrive. It is also way to cold here to run the bike and test for lean as well, my guess is I will be March or April before I can actually tune.

Oh yes and valves are important for the compression check. I had one cylinder that was only off by a little and had compression of only 70, after valves were properly set it went to 120 cold. I didn't do a warm to compare.

I had to wait until today to adjust the valves, because the engine was still warm. I'll do it at some point today between rounds of shooting paint.

Yep, gotcha, hope it helps. Although a ring job on these bikes is really not bad at all.

What are you guys running for exhaust?? if you are getting rid of the H-box or running a 2 into 1 with pods or a non stock air box, then the 90/120 will do just fine.
ALPHA, I hope the valve adjustment brings it back up to over 140psi........cold I would expect readings of 125 give or take. Rings are not being made for these anymore but I know that there are other rings that can be used. Hastings - part number 2C4186 and you will need to open up the top two piston ring grooves

Stock exhaust for me right now. Maybe aftermarket pipes. may remove cross over, may not. It is all in good shape so will depend on where I have to spend other $$ what get's used.

Back
Top Bottom