'86 Interceptor 2 smoke project

I saw that. I think it said there was no key for the cap? I'll be patient and get the right one. If I could find a non running complete bike, I would be all set.

i may be grabbing a complete bike soon actually =P not for parting out though sorry

interceptor said:
I saw that. I think it said there was no key for the cap? I'll be patient and get the right one. If I could find a non running complete bike, I would be all set.

yea,w/ no key,that's the one.

There is a tank that has been stripped of the paint for an 84 Interceptor 1000. It looks mostly dent free and rust free for under $100. I wonder if that could work?

interceptor said:
There is a tank that has been stripped of the paint for an 84 Interceptor 1000. It looks mostly dent free and rust free for under $100. I wonder if that could work?

Ask the seller(I saw that one)if he'll measure the base for you.

Thanks guys. I am going to forgo the tank right now. I just spent a crap load on other necessities to get this engine running. I bought a wiring harness with all electrics still intact and a kill switch, reed valve, carb intake and a carburetor. I know some of these things will be changed in the future, but I feel I could probably sell them and make my money back. It's just to get this thing in the bike and running. The tank will have to wait till I find either a donor bike, or I may even try to make my own tank from aluminum sheet stock. Due to the fact that I could probably have a flat bottom tank, I won't have to make a tunnel. I saw a really good tutorial online of an older British gentleman making one and thought, hey, I could do that. This is all here say right now, but it is a thought.
Here's the link to the video I watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=289&v=s8ag_jVsISI

A few of the bits have started to arrive. I received my vintage carb and took it apart and is in carb cleaner for the night. Reed valve looks good, and the wiring harness, too. Next thing to show up is the engine. It`s scheduled to arrive on Friday. Just in time for the weekend ;D

INterceptor...where are you located? We've got an '86 VF500F parts bike in the back of the shop.

Hate to jump in late but a 90's model Yamaha WR engine probably would have been a better choice if you could have found one. Did you find a lighting coil for that YZ?

I`m in Rochester. I may need some parts if your parting it out. Still looking for a tank, front brakes (complete), and odds and ends things. Let me know what you can do ;)
As far as the engine goes, I could/should have used a bunch of different engines, but it all came down to the coin they wanted for them. I can`t afford $1200-$1800 for an engine, but I can afford the $350 I got the 400 for :) And I figure that the DT 400 electrics should fit. If not, I`ll figure something out.

Ummm, I know of Rochester's in at least three different states. Which Rochester?

interceptor said:
Michigan. Same as you :)

burr.. is it still cold up in Michigan?? haha Finally warming up down here in Ohio..

The good news is, if tuned right, two strokers run great in the cold air ;P

I got a couple of these: out in the shed... want one? I'm just over in Rochester

Honda_NSR500_engine_front_Honda_Collection_Hall.jpg

what you need is a v8 2 cycle =) just need a long garden hose to cool it as its an outboard boat motor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcO_2pLqYqw

Blam...

CAM00883_zpsyapcb4t6.jpg

CAM00884_zpsc8d1imsu.jpg

CAM00885_zpst8sis5zn.jpg

What a great way to pack it! This engine is really clean, too. Inside looks great. I want to turn the engine over to look at the piston, but first I have to find my spare kick start lever :eek: I got called home by the wifey because the carbon monoxide detector was going off. Turns out it was just old. I'd like to thank the local Fire Department for coming over quickly and testing the air quality. So mock fitment will have to wait till tomorrow. Yes, I did get a new detector ;) Safety first when there are kids in the house!

woohooo! looks sweet man! Cant wait to see this thing come together

Back
Top Bottom