Does a bigger tire always mean a bigger tube?

jaymi608

I am going with a 100/90 front and 110/90 rear on my stock rims. I have a CB360. Do I need a bigger tube or can I order the original sizes?

Thanks

Tubes are usually made in ranges of size like 2.5-3.25 and so forth. you'll just have to read the numbers on the tube and corrallate them to the tire

Take some advice from someone who has made a lot of mistakes/oversights in his life.

New tire = New Tube

Flats have a way of occuring at the worst times and worst places. Tubes are CHEAP. Just put a new one on.

Otherwise, as the previous poster stated, tubes have a range size. Just get one in the range of your tire.

Don't fit a 100 tyre on stock rim, at least not if you intend riding it
For rolling on and off trailer it's fine though

mydlyfkryzis- Yeah I threw the old tubes out right away. No question about replacing that's for sure.

crazypj- That sucks as I have already bought the tires based on what I have read on this and other forums. Now I'm scared.

New wider rims ain't too expensive and relatively easy to fit ;)
If you did any research on here you would have found multiple posts on not using too wide tyres for stock rims, even a 90/90 is really too wide on front but looks and fits great on a WM3 rim.
If you check out Brendon's bike in my build/block you can see what a 90/90 on WM3 looks like
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.700

Thanks guys! maybe when I was searching I read that people were putting these wider tires on there bikes but was not reading they were also putting on a wider rim. I better do a better job with research in the future.

Another Tire thread- here's some good info, some from CrazyPJ:

Attachments

• Wheelrimwidths.jpg
    Wheelrimwidths.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 585
  • REcommend tire size 1.jpg
    REcommend tire size 1.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 353
The grey blocks are acceptable alternatives, just in case you didn't realise

I've had a CB550 F1 since 1977, your kidding yourself if you think it's 'fine'

At 100,000 miles

I fitted wider Boranni rims in 1979 or 80 but 4.25x18 is the widest tyre I would use (120/80x18)

Just get smaller front, rear works OK until you decide to change rims

Does anyone have an opinion on this tire? I'm asking because it says scooter tire.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/32666/ITEM/IRC-NR53-Front---Rear-Scooter-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=Cart_Item

If you are looking at the 3.00-18, the load index is 47, which is 175kg/386 lbs. That looks good. Speed Rating is "L' which is 75 MPH.

I would not put a tire on a 350 or 360 Honda with a speed rating of less then "Q" (100 MPH) and would recommend "S" (112 MPH) or better.

The speed rating is the maximum speed you can safely and continuously go witho overheating the tires and having a premature blowout or tire failure.

Most motorcycle tires (street) in the 3.00 18 and larger are usually S rated.

Don't compromise your safety. Duro makes inexpensive tires and they have the S rating in this size.

I agree with everything your saying but if I'm reading it right, the speed rating is a P on the 3.00 18.

Here is where I looked for my info. My wanting to be safe yet save a little dough, is just making me keep asking questions. Although safe and save money do sound bad together some times. :D

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/tire-data.htm

Thanks again for the input.

Back
Top Bottom