1995 R100R or K75S?

Ribo

Twist the "go-go" side and hold on!
1995 R100R or K75S?

As a touring bike to keep stock with full luggage and fairing which one would you go for from a 100% pragmatic engineering perspective.

Looks wise a prefer the R100R but I'm reading good things about the K75S, work-horse, low maintenance, reliable, 100,000 miles etc etc. . I'm just doing recon right now for sometime next year so don't go offering me a bike unless you want to hold onto it for a bit. :)

Anyway, just interested in getting some thoughts from anyone experienced with these bikes.

I'm liking this:

bmw__r100r_1995_1_lgw.jpg

Completely stock ?

The R has charissma and character [ + long term cash appreciation ], and has a reputation for a mile muncher. Simple maintainance and fix at the roadside.

Kay - little or no charissma and is a pain to fix the electronics etc. - any one of which could stop the bike dead. That said - a more sophisticated ride, better brakes, smoother and more power. Bike value will fall over the years.

Chalk and cheese.

Well if I wasn't leaning towards the R I am now :) thanks.

Totally agree with you on the charisma, function will outweigh form here, but simple maintenance, fix at the roadside and mile muncher got me so it's a win/win.

Any advice on what to look for when checking one out, besides the usual?

Ribo said:
Any advice on what to look for when checking one out, besides the usual?

Kanticoy to the white courtesy phone please, Kanticoy. ;)

I owned 4 Boxers and 3 K's while despatch riding, clocking up about 550,000 miles on them. I would go for the K75 every time. I'm not saying the K's are without faults, as beachcomber said the electronics are much more complex, but they rarely go wrong. Service intervals are better on the K's, I found valve adjustment, and injectors could easily be left for 20,000 miles.
If you want a bike to ride at 90mph all day every day, and don't want to be fixing the bike by the side of the road I'd recommend a K75/100.

Yes agree entirely Semmins .... I've owned 6 Airheads and 7 Kays [ all 100 / 1100 ] including my current Streetfighter project.

IF it comes down to riding enjoyment, I'd go for the Airhead every time - AND has a great degree of reliability.

Weight is another factor [ maybe ? ] - I've never owned a K75 - but the K100 feels like a great big lump under you compared to the Airheads.

If you haven't already - ride both variants first, that might well be the decider !

Back
Top Bottom