Mikesxs rims on CL175 hub

sancho

Hello all,

A long time lurker here. I believe this subject has been covered on many threads before. I have read lots about the mikesxs rims and everyone has good things to say about them. They seem to lace up to CL350 and CB350 ... etc and larger bike hubs quite well.

I have a honda 1970 CL175 with 1.60x19 WM1 rims in front, and 1.60x18 WM1 rim in the rear both drum brake hubs. I am considering the mikesxs 2.15x19 front, and 2.15x18 rear rims.

My question is will they lace up correct? The spoke angles and spoke holes on the rim are what worries me. I read somewhere that mikesxs rims have a larger spoke whole and in order to seat the nipple correctly you have use some sort of washer.

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify this question. If anyone has some experience with these rims or the CL175/CB175 hubs, please shed some light on this.

Thanks

Not having done it personally, I would guess the angles wouldn't be a problem. The hole diameters could be solved though.

Big Rich said:
Not having done it personally, I would guess the angles wouldn't be a problem. The hole diameters could be solved though.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14295

I just found the thread, where I read about the mikesxs rim having bigger spoke holes and the solution was to use domed washers. Is this the solution you had in mind?

Yep. CrazyPJ talked about using washers before as well. I think he just pounded them to a dome shape with a ball peen hammer though.

Big Rich said:
Yep. CrazyPJ talked about using washers before as well. I think he just pounded them to a dome shape with a ball peen hammer though.

good tip thanks.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16466&start=50

In this thread the owner says mikesxs rims fit perfectly into his 76 cb360t hubs. He did ordered buchanan's spokes and nipples though.

That is my build. Mikes xs rims are a straight shot replacing stock rims. I talked to Crazypj and he had told me no washers needed.

Other rims need washers ( like the Excel rim).

If the spoke gauge and stock nipples are the same size on the 175 as the cb360 or cb350, then mikes a rims will work fine.

If you are going to buy Buchanan's spokes, ask them about the spoke gauge for the stock 175. They are pretty knowledgable. I actually talked to Kenny Buchanan and he is a Honda enthusiast.

Sent from planet Earth using mysterious electronic devices and Tapatalk

I would probably get 1.85 (WM2) for a 175.
Wider rims will slow you down as even stock tyres will spread more and wider tyres will have a lot more drag
WM2 with 80/90 and 90 or 100/90 F&R
BTW, I bought a doming block set for the washers, I'm too paranoid about safety to just use a hammer

well, contacted Mikesxs and they confirmed that the holes are made out to 0.25" nipples. So, went ahead and ordered a set of 2.15x18 and 2.15x19 rims. Will report back on the fitment and any issues if there are any. Thanks everyone for their input!

Alright, here is the verdict. The rims have arrived! I measured the nipple holes and Mikesxs rims are 7.50mm. The holes vary a little but the largest one I measured was 7.55mm and the smallest one I measured was 7.32mm.

My stock CL175 WM1 1.60 rim nipple holes measured to 7.03-7.10mm.

I tried fitting the nipples into the mikesxs rims and they seem to sit pretty well. There is a tiny bit of wiggle room there, you can feel that extra 0.30mm but it looks and feels perfectly fine for me.

In the pictures you will see how the stock nipple fit the rim.

The stock nipple measured to 6.80mm at the base.

Hope this info helps out someone in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_6727.JPG
    IMG_6727.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_6728.JPG
    IMG_6728.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_6729.JPG
    IMG_6729.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_6730.JPG
    IMG_6730.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 758
here is how the stock set up looked like, stock nipples in stock rims.

Attachments

• IMG_6731.JPG
    IMG_6731.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 744
Looks good to me. See you went with the black rims. How's the finish on them?

Tim said:
Looks good to me. See you went with the black rims. How's the finish on them?

The finish is really good! Not too shiny or glossy, very solid finish. I accidentally dinged it against a metal table leg and thought I chipped it. But it was totally fine.

btw, in case anyone is wondering about the final result, here is how the rims turned out, oh and how my build turned out as well ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 265
Put a fork brace of some sort on it.
I'm going to make a video showing just how easy forks flex

Tim said:
Hope it's not another 11 months till your next post :) Looks great!

Thanks man! yeah sorry about the delay, just been busy, I'll try to post a whole build thread, kinda ass backwards lol, after the fact but anyway. As I recall, there were very few honda cb175 cl175 builds, hope this will add to it.

crazypj said:
Put a fork brace of some sort on it.
I'm going to make a video showing just how easy forks flex

I actually thought about that, but my forks don't have anything that a brace can attach to, any suggestions?

btw my stock fender was like this (not my bike, mine looked waaaay worse than this):
nRYzR.jpg

I forgot the CL had high mounted mudguard. :-[
You'll need the type that clamps around forks

crazypj said:

I heard someone could make them for CB360's.....LOL

You still going to do that? I am still interested...

crazypj said:

My 68 CL had mounts for a fender on the forks. Even the old SL175 (I think it was a 71?) we found had mounts on the forks - but it did have a high mount fender.

Either way, I wouldn't ride any of them without some type of brace.

Back
Top Bottom