looking for bigger tyres/tires

afk40

Honda cd250 ??? The only Ton al see will be in KMS
HI Guys,,,this is ma first post...am fae Sunny Scotland uk an i have a honda cd250u lookin tae Kaffa it or bob it.. but id like to put bigger tyres on it,, the std tyres that are on it are 300/17 an 325/17 id like to put the highest an widest an fatest tyres that i can put on to these rims without goin down the road looking for new rims...,, does anyone know what i could fit on here an to keep it safe from poppin off the rim..

also maybe someone knows another wheel larger that will fit it.?? n=maybe a better bet in gettin tyres... this will be ma first chop.. ma bike is all std just now its a 1989 an looks a peach... thanks guys,, an thanks fur lettin me on yer forum... fae Sunny Scotland uk... ching ching.

Attachments

• 20140316_133639 (Large).jpg
    20140316_133639 (Large).jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 527
  • 20140316_133542 (Large).jpg
    20140316_133542 (Large).jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 740
The rims will be stamped with a size, 2.15x17 or something similar, you can find that size then check Avon Tyres or similar manufacturers site and it will list the safe rim size the 17 inch tyres will fit. 3.00 x 17 converts to a 90/90x17 or so so if you want bigger look at what safe rim size is for a 100/90x17 or even a 110/90x17 or 110/80 x 17 etc don't go any bigger than what the rim can take. As for bigger rims, if you keep the 17 diameter you can likely just lace up a wider rim with the same spoke count, if you go bigger diameter, you will need new spokes made.

Thanks Maritime,, i will go look at the rims,, is their a AVON chart that dictates the tyres.?? but knowing the sizes ye gave me there like 90/90 /17 thats a big help.. id like to go FAT as long as their safe.. just so it looks that wee bit better,, as when i kaffa it i want it to look the part... cheers

Google motorcycle conversion chart, there are 2-3 manufacturers, I got those numbers from Maxxis tires. Street conversion chart. I know Avon has specs for recommended / Minimum rim widths for each of their tyres, also for handling, it is better to stay a bit skinny on the front vrs the back. So find out the metric equal for your rear, I would guess it to be 100/90 x 17 you can likely got 1 step or size bigger on front and back safely and keep the handling dynamics in tack.

Cheers,

Better treads/compounds and an upgraded suspension will make the bike "faster" than oversized tires any day.

VY.. yes,, ithat might be the case,, but when a bike only goes around 60mph the handling a speeds not gonna rip yer bonnet off.. Im looking fur looks more than anything... but thanks fur yer input...

that is a beautiful little bike !!,for the love of dog,why do you want to rob some of what little horsepower you have and at the same time negatively impact the handling of the bike ?
what you think is the look,the kaffas with huge tires, is just complete idiot posers that dont give a #^$%^&& about performance or handling

Maritime said:
Google motorcycle conversion chart, there are 2-3 manufacturers, I got those numbers from Maxxis tires. Street conversion chart. I know Avon has specs for recommended / Minimum rim widths for each of their tyres, also for handling, it is better to stay a bit skinny on the front vrs the back. So find out the metric equal for your rear, I would guess it to be 100/90 x 17 you can likely got 1 step or size bigger on front and back safely and keep the handling dynamics in tack.

Cheers,

Maritime.. i checked out the rims an heres the details,, they numbers are like double dutch to me... the numbers are in the pics

Attachments

• 20140318_172156 (Large).jpg
    20140318_172156 (Large).jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 20140318_172455 (Large).jpg
    20140318_172455 (Large).jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 362
xb33 thanks fur complements,, ive just picked it up,, its all std an all there an goes brilliant an ticks over like a wee cat purring.. the exhausts do it well,, the sound is awesome,, i have a yammy xt 660x supermoto too,, but on sunday there i went out on the wee honda an when i came back in i went out again on the yam,, it felt HUGE an i thought,, hey ad be better sellin this an runnin the honda.. as its like a wee novelty i dont need speed or scrapin ma knees anymore,, my biking is only fur fun...an at tops 30 miles each way when i go tae meet friends... so ye like it,, i picked it up fur 600 gbp.. probably around 800 bucks... am i right in saying this forum is from the states or,,, where ?? its a 1989, wi 20k miles on it,,, its funny ye should mention the choppin it bit fur the sake o tyres,,as i was thinkin o keeping it all std as well,, thanks,,, john

heres a few of it.... yes it would be a shame to take anything from this...

Attachments

• 20140316_162427 (Large).jpg
    20140316_162427 (Large).jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 374
  • 20140316_133705 (Large).jpg
    20140316_133705 (Large).jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 376
  • 20140316_162438 (Large).jpg
    20140316_162438 (Large).jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 419
they are 1.85 wide front and 2.15 rear so those are the widths you need to use when finding tyres. the rest of the numbers are not needed for that part. Like the other guys said, no need to go too big but staying in the safe size range you aren't going to have balloons anyway. From Avons Site they actually don't make a 17 front tyre to fit the 1.85 rim so you would need to look to another manufacturer. You have bridgestones on there now and they should have the same data as Avon. The data looks like below.

Size Speed Rec Rim exceptable rims
100/80-17 52V MT2.50 2.15 - 2.75

So this tire can fit rims 2.15-2.75 but best for 2.5 I'll check Bridgestone and see what they have when I get a chance. Avon didn't have any 17's listed to fit a 1.85. Lots of rears to choose from though

Maritime... thanks fur helpin me,, where ye from.?? The tyres dont need to be avon,, I dont actually know where I came up wi a AVON tyre,,, a think someone just quoted one to me.. fur the kinda speed an handlin the wee bike will do wi ma big lump o a a$$ on it its not goin anywhere fast...if i can piddle around at 55mph that will do me,, its only a wee A to B bike fur me anyway.. my speed days are gone, Im loving the style an character fae ma wee honda.. if ye can try an let me know whats teh biggest tyres i can put on it that would be great,, ive saw some cracking looking bobber Kaffas out there wi big fattish tyres on them an they look awesome... what ye runnin yersel...??? Im fae Scotland... 15 miles east o Glasgow... 25 miles west o Edinburgh... cheers

Here's a chart on recommended tires sizes on different width wheels....

Attachments

• REcommend tire size 1.jpg
    REcommend tire size 1.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 545
afk40 said:
Maritime... thanks fur helpin me,, where ye from.?? The tyres dont need to be avon,, I dont actually know where I came up wi a AVON tyre,,, a think someone just quoted one to me.. fur the kinda speed an handlin the wee bike will do wi ma big lump o a a$$ on it its not goin anywhere fast...if i can piddle around at 55mph that will do me,, its only a wee A to B bike fur me anyway.. my speed days are gone, Im loving the style an character fae ma wee honda.. if ye can try an let me know whats teh biggest tyres i can put on it that would be great,, ive saw some cracking looking bobber Kaffas out there wi big fattish tyres on them an they look awesome... what ye runnin yersel...??? Im fae Scotland... 15 miles east o Glasgow... 25 miles west o Edinburgh... cheers

Screen name kind of gives it away I'm a Maritimer from East Coast of Canada. Grew up in Saint John, now live in Woodstock NB. Welcome to DTT. AS for larger tyres, you will really need to lace a wider rim to the front to run anything much fatter mydlyfkryzis posted a nice chart there that will help. Anything in grey should fit and be safe under the rim size. I get the fat tire look on a bar hopper/slow bike. I have 2 rides myself, a 79 GL1000 and an 81 CX500 and I even fattened up the fronts on both those bikes by 1 size, and rears by 1 size.

Cheers,

Maritime

maritime am a sucker fur cx500s,, i like the A and the B series.. ive had a few o them,, silver wing an the custom... but i love the vibes of a cx, i will probably buy one again... , ave kinda hit a wall wi ma wee honda,,, a think it looks great as a wee classic, then a gain , i want to do stuff to it,, then it goes from an original classic to a rat, bob, whatever... whit ye think,,,seeing as its all there as std...

I'd do whatever you want to it, it isn't a rare classic, it's in good shape but unless you completely hack it to bits it won't really hurt the value much. Do what you want, keep it safe and have fun. I had the North American 400 version of your bike as my first ride. it was a great little scoot. I rode it 40K KM's in 3 years and sold it for what I Paid after a few mods.

yea am not worried about its value,,, its its style,, a suppose ye can have yer cake an eat it too...

Frame shape doesn't make cafe easy but if you take a gander at the so you bought a CM400/450 thread, those bikes are the same design as yours just a little larger doesplacement, You can get a lot of inspiration and Ideas from that thread

just looking at this just now... its very nice starter fur ten. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-Honda-CX500-/231156113308?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item35d1fa5f9c

afk40 said:
Im fae Scotland... 15 miles east o Glasgow... 25 miles west o Edinburgh... cheers

Where aboots Jimmie? I lived in Edinburgh, Perth, Hillingdon and East Kilbride many many moons ago.

Back
Top Bottom