Front drum brake squeal when cold?

Helve

Eucalyptus
So my KL250 has been doing this thing lately, where after having sat for a few hours or overnight, the first time I engage the front brake it makes this awful squealing noise. I can feel the vibration up into the bars, but then it goes away after the first or second brake actuation. Wondering if this is a sign it's time for new shoes or perhaps there is another explanation for it. Any thoughts?

It could be rust in the drum from overnight moisture if it happens now and not so much in the summer.

I'd pull that wheel just to be sure though. Probably time to give the front brake a service anyway.

what Teazer said + brake dust in the drum can add to the squeal issue. So inspecting it and cleaning any dust will help.

also inspect the shoes closely for delamination, they are only glued onto the the metal part....
if they let go it is ugly and can cause a severe crash, It happened to me and I was lucky to not have been killed outright
if they are still original best bet is to get new

Good point XB. I removed a GT750 wheel yesterday and as I pulled off the brake plate one of the shoes (lining), dropped out on the shop floor.

xb33bsa said:
also inspect the shoes closely for delamination, they are only glued onto the the metal part....
if they let go it is ugly and can cause a severe crash, It happened to me and I was lucky to not have been killed outright
if they are still original best bet is to get new

My rear shoes delaminated at about 25MPH....Luckily skid to a stop without dropping or high side..... I had been hot dogging it earlier in the weak, dragging pegs....Hate to think about the results of they had delaminated in a turn at speed...

Back
Top Bottom