CB350. Rear tire clearance question

sandman28

Been Around the Block
First photo shows amount of clearance from rear rim to bottom of seat pan to rim. (roughly 5 3/4" from top of rim)
will be running 110/80 or 100/90 rear tire. Do i have enough clearance for travel of stock length rear shocks????
nothing sits below top of frame at the rear.
second photo shows how I wanted to mount the tail light. but it will sit another inch below.

any input is greatly appreciated. thanks.

PHOTOS

Attachments

• IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
planning on sticking with stock rims. Going with Avon RoadRider tires. Ive heard a ton of people post that they run those tires , size 90/90 front, 110/80 rear on stock CB rims and there are no issues. Regardless I havent got tires yet.. and will do more research and buy whatever fits on stock rims. Right now im concerned with clearance to seat with running tires near stock size

No issues? LOL....I guess if you really don't ride well, you will never notice the difference...

You do know Fat tires on skinny rims really ruin the contact pact and sidewall flexibility.

Sure, you can roll the bike down the street....But the handling, braking, and turning capability are less then stock, and a lot less then those tires can do on the right width rims.

So if someone has no issues at all with it, then that someone is just ignorant.

Heavier, bigger tires also reduce acceleration, just from the rotational mass.

So I suspect you are only concerned with looks, even if it compromises handling.

Good luck then..

Maybe I'm wrong... but isnt 90/90 front and 100/90 rear, the stock tire size for a CB350 ? I dont care about looks when It comes to tires... Its not a race bike, I want it to handle well... so I'm sticking with stock tire size.
I'll keep looking I guess in regards to my clearance question, thanks for your input.

sandman28 said:
First photo shows amount of clearance from rear rim to bottom of seat pan to rim. (roughly 5 3/4" from top of rim)
will be running 110/80 or 100/90 rear tire. Do i have enough clearance for travel of stock length rear shocks????
nothing sits below top of frame at the rear.
second photo shows how I wanted to mount the tail light. but it will sit another inch below.

any input is greatly appreciated. thanks.
no ,start over
fer chrisakes it is not rocket science
this is a very common bewilderingly frequent mistake people make when they have absolutely no clue what they are doing

sandman28 said:
Ok thanks, not much to "start over" except putting bigger spacer between seat and frame.

put tire on rim
take off one shock
set the other shock preload to soft
with a ratchet strap attached to upper frame and axle on the side with a shock,pull the swingarm up hard against the bump stop of the shock
leave at least an inch clearance to any seat pan,loop or frame cross pieces

sandman28 said:
Maybe I'm wrong... but isnt 90/90 front and 100/90 rear, the stock tire size for a CB350 ? I dont care about looks when It comes to tires... Its not a race bike, I want it to handle well... so I'm sticking with stock tire size.
I'll keep looking I guess in regards to my clearance question, thanks for your input.

No.
3.00-18 = 80/90-18
3.50-18 = 90/90 - 18.

I would still put wider rims on. the stock size with wider rims (STD in the grey area for the size) have less flexible sidewalls, making the bike more responsive. I was surprised how much better my CB360 handled with the same exact tires and one size wider rims.

Also, for good handling, make sure spokes are tight and even, and runout is minimum. It really does more than any single other thing.

These bikes aree not nose bleed fast, but set up well, they can handle quite nicely. They become light feeling and flickable, without the wobble and uncertainty they seek to normally have. The 350 should respond better than the 360. I used to have a 69 350, and it handled better normally than my 360. Had I had the wherewithall to improve the rim width and runout, I expect the 350 would of been a really nice handling bike for it's day.

Looking at rims from MikesXS. Reading alot of people saying they lace up to the CB 350 hubs with no major issues. and they are cheap.
does 1.85 front and 2.15 rear seem correct for running 90/90 and 100/90 ?

They are in the acceptable range, but 2.15 in the front would be better, and 2.50 in the rear.

An excerpt from http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Tires_101.pdf which is in http://www.avonmoto.com/

For anyone wondering why Tire and rim widths are important. The original PDF is good reading too, includes tire sizing, and other aspects of tire selection:

Attachments

• Tireinfo Section 3.JPG
    Tireinfo Section 3.JPG
    653.5 KB · Views: 590
thanks for the link, good read. On mikesxs site im only seeing "H type" rims. Ive read that this style is for street use, but i see alot more reference to WM . Curious if there is a difference in tire options, performance etc with H type ?
are H type a good choice for the CB ?
thanks

The original Akront style rim is shouldered for extra strength. Motocrossers like that shape as it is less likely to deform after a jump or large bump. I don't know if mike's XS H rims are stronger, but I have them on my bike. The width's and tires are the same. The difference is in the cross section.

Thanks, wanted to make sure the widths would be the same mainly. Now i need to decide on black rims w/ black hubs and stainless spokes. or "silver" with polished hubs....

I did silver with SS spokes and silver painted hubs. I think they came out nicely, and period correct....I also think the black hubs and stainless spokes would be sharp looking. Depends on the effect you are looking for.

yah im torn... I like the Period "vintage" look of all silver... either way going with 2.15 in the front and 2.5 rear with 90/90 & 100/90 Avon's. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom