CB550K Rear Sprocket Cover Mod

hunterdtt

While doing some recent work on my back wheel i thought i would see if i could do something to the rear sprocket cover.

I have always thought this was a really ugly part and totally ruined the look of the back wheel.

The cover is needed for two things.
Its there as some kind of chain guide if the chain comes off the sprocket and it also keeps the oil seal in place.

I decided i didn't need the chain guide part as my chain would never be so loose that it would slip the sprocket, but i still needed to cover the oil seal.

This is what i started out with. (The sprocket is in really bad shape here which is how the bike came to me ::) )

I wanted to keep the look of the naked sprocket

This just ruins it

So i fired up the dremel and started cutting :)

nearly there

A couple of hours, a drill and some elbow grease and i had this

Looks much better now - sprayed in clear coat and finished

8)

that looks good, trick
the seal presses into that sheet metal housing? the seal doesn't press into the hub ?

Its there as some kind of chain guide if the chain comes off the sprocket

Well, the chain can fall off the insode as well as the outside. The shield is tin, and the chain would just bend it up...You can bend it with your hand. The real kicker is is that if it falls off in the rear, the axle and spacers keep it on the bike. the real problem is when the chain comes off the rear sprocket, it may jam in the front, breaking the engine cases. There is a shield up there too, but it doesn't help when the engine is putting so much torque and jamming the chain into the limited space of the sprocket housing. The forces are huge.

I thing the rear shield is just to keep the lube from dripping sown the visible side of the sprocket....and to keep your seal in... Though my shield was only an outer shield, the seal is in the hub..

Having said that, it looks very nice...I like the mod.

Back
Top Bottom