XS650 "Tina Marie"

cyclefreak

Over 1,000 Posts
OK, time to stop procracstinating and get my next project underway. So here is the story. Several months ago I bought an XS650 from a friend of a friend. The bike actually ran!!!!! Started on the second kick. I figured I would ride it as long as the warm weather stayed aroud to find and sort out any mechanical quirks or issues, then make it my winter project. Other than some jetting issues nothing major was found. I was not able to keep from doing some minor cosmetic changes however because....well....it was just ugly.
2012-03-01_18-17-35_374.jpg

I love trackers, but other than a cool seat it just didn't do it for me. So after robbing a headlight bucket from a CB750 I have in storage, and throwing a rattle can bomb at her. I wasn't so embarassed riding her around.
2012-09-30_13-54-33_906.jpg

This is how she looked at Barbers, for those who could not attend
So here is the highlights of the plan.
Make a hoop and new seat pan for a two up (BRAT) seat
Tank will be swapped to an XS750 tank that will be de-seamed with more pronounced knee dents. (Finally got a tig machine!!!)
Front end swap to an XS1100 with dual disk brakes
18 inch real wheel conversion (XS400)
Rear sets and passenger pegs
New custom exhaust
Clean and dress up factory welds
Strip the engine paint and refinish.

A somewhat scary find. Check out how the PO cut the rear frame and shock mounts. They were filled with a piece of pvc pipe wrapped in fiber glass.
6aredama.jpg
7amajeja.jpg

At least the PO put big ass washers on the shock bolt(probably hiding butchered bushings)! And they were riding it and lived to sell it... The lord does look out for idiots.

Yep, pretty sketchy. Glad I didn't ride her too hard.
Here is a pic of the tank (pre modified) that I will be using
unuzysaq.jpg

And the primary color will be
ysytudu4.jpg

Thanks Mike
Ok, the last few days I have been too sick to drag my butt to the garage so not much progress. I did get her stripped down a bit yesterday and started going over the rear set plan.
hu8adera.jpg

I am using a set of zx-6 rear sets,3 they actually go right onto one of the stock peg mounts. I will end up shortening the stock mount for kick starter clearance, and to have them tucked in tighter. Also gonna cut the square toe pad of the brake lever off and add a round/cylindrical one to match the gear shifter on the other side.
epymyma3.jpg

Got a new master cylinder with integrated reservoir ordered. Should give a much cleaner look instead of adapting linkage to the stocker.

Good thing you found that cover up job.
Is that British Racing Green you are going for? Are you going to have a secondary color for striping?
Looking forward to see how it turns out, should look quite sharp.

Re: Re: XS650 "Tina Marie"

jd1000 said:
Is that British Racing Green you are going for? Are you going to have a secondary color for striping?
Yes it is one of the "British racing greens". I had no idea how many versions of brg there was until I started looking for paint codes. And yes there will be a secondary color although I have not yet found the exact shade that I have in mind.

Well got a little bit of welding done today. Steering stem press out of the stock lower triple and into the 1100
enenaqyh.jpg
My quick and easy rear sets turned into a pain after I stripped the threads on the stock peg bracket mount. So I had to cut it and the forward mount out and replace the rear with the front.
vytuqyqy.jpg
unuduben.jpg

Finally got the pegs where they are supposed to be
mehejajy.jpg
ema9ana8.jpg
Still have to add a toe pad to the brake lever, and mount the new master cylinder
u8ubajy5.jpg

Yes sir, I'm watching this.

XS400 rear wheel, huh? Wasn't there a GS wheel going on the back?

Re: Re: XS650 "Tina Marie"

Big Rich said:
Yes sir, I'm watching this.

XS400 rear wheel, huh? Wasn't there a GS wheel going on the back?
There was a gs750 that I had considered buying and robbing the wheels from to put on it, but I never did get it.

Back
Top Bottom