82 Virago 750 Cafe Racer (Done!)

Re: 82 Virago 750 Project Cafe

I like these Virago builds with that chopped sub-frame... there are some really nice ones out there, best of luck!

Thanks peanut...I'm gonna need all the luck I can get!

So my buddy stopped by this morning and we started mocking up the subframe. We used the 1" EMT conduit and some 1/8" thick steel. We have a good template but we are going to use 1" chromoly tube and 3/8 steel. We have a lot more mocking up to do, but at least it only cost me $20 for material. The tubing is going to be about $70 from online metals. We hit a snag when the hardware store didn't have any bolts that we needed to finish the build. Guess I will order from McMaster Carr and get my bolts and probably the 3/8" metal.

One good thing is the oil hasn't leaked so I think I stopped the bleeding...

Pics below...

c9feb195e5d8ee45e82d5bd4807414b5_zps243e7ea5.jpg

4b504ecea45942cc8a3d53ade8c610fc_zps5387bc2c.jpg

afed61ba58595206bb3e1bb394fe3e44_zps624b0ebf.jpg

7ae7bcf9b130813b9f747c83a7ddd4dc_zps222dedd2.jpg

I will be working out of town for the next few weeks so updates may be slow. My buddy who helped me today is gone for the next two weekends in Lisbon, so the subframe may have to wait. It's starting to get warm here so I'm starting to get the itch. I told my wife today that if all else fails I can bolt the original stuff back on and at least ride it a little and get it tuned in.

Cheers

Quick update...

While I was out of town I had the head fixed, I drilled and tapped the bolt hole for the carb boot. I put the carbs back on (3 hours...what a PITA!). I filled it with oil, put new fuel lines on and started it up. It runs but it is popping a little. I think it needs to be dialed in. I did away with the vacuum petcocks. i will just have to remember to turn off the gas when i turn it off. i bought some vacuum plugs for the carb boots.

I did some more welding to my mock up for the sub frame, but I ran out of wire for my welder. My tail light finally showed up, but I'm not sure if I am going to be able to use it. It also has a plate holder, but I think the plate will rub on the back tire. I will know better when I get the seat pan on the sub frame.

I will update with pictures later...

Back on the road again. Salt Lake City on Monday and Tuesday, Detroit the rest of the week. While I am out and not working on my bike, I need some ideas for my headlight. I want to go with something that will use fork mounts and big enough to fit my electrical (since slimming it down will be a winter project). I would also like to mount some turn signals to the headlight bracket.

Any ideas? The bike has 36mm forks. I like the 7" size, just not the mount with the bulk.

The other thing is the rear shock control. I have seen it relocated, but it is hard to see how they did it. I am almost on the fence of leaving the battery on the side. I have a sealed one bungied to the side and it kinda looks cool. Maybe make a mount or box to replace the factory one?

Cheers!

Early YZF600 non-reservoir shock is a straight swap.

Rich Ard said:
Early YZF600 non-reservoir shock is a straight swap.

I was thinking about doing that swap. Just haven't decided yet. I'm trying to see if there is any benefit keeping the stock shock.

Well the stock shock is heavier, prone to leaking as it ages, and has a big thing hanging off of it. On the other hand, uh...

uh...

:)

Rich Ard said:
Well the stock shock is heavier, prone to leaking as it ages, and has a big thing hanging off of it. On the other hand, uh...

uh...

:)

Well I guess that means that there isn't a good reason to keep the stock shock. What years are interchangeable from the YZF600?

Not sure - the one w/o the reservoir :)

I seem to recall someone telling me the 92 model is the one with the right shock.
Goody.

Rich Ard said:
Not sure - the one w/o the reservoir :)

OK, didn't know if you knew the exact years. eBay shows a lot with the reservoir. I keep meaning to look up the model years that the 600 was made, so I could try to narrow it down. Thanks, Rich!

goodpw said:
I seem to recall someone telling me the 92 model is the one with the right shock.
Goody.

Thanks, Goody...BTW, what headlight do you have on yours? I'm trying to figure out what to get.

The headlight is from a 1982 XV750 & just so happens to fit my XV750 1982 perfectly. I've messed about with the mount but that's all.
Cheers.
Goody

Say, were you the guy who asked about doing this project on http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forum.php ?

jrswanson1 said:
Say, were you the guy who asked about doing this project on http://www.motorcycleforum.com/forum.php ?

Can't say I have ever been on that site. I have been on Virago Tech Forum, and my user name is the same...don't think I registered on that site.

goodpw said:
The headlight is from a 1982 XV750 & just so happens to fit my XV750 1982 perfectly. I've messed about with the mount but that's all.
Cheers.
Goody

So if it came off a 82 VX750 and it is on your 82 VX750, I assume that it is the original headlight??? ;D

It looks different, that is why I asked. I want to order something from Dime City, but I'm not sure what to get. I was thinking of trying to shave some meat off the original mount, but then I lose my mounts for the turn signals. I can't mount the signals on the bar ends, the mirrors are taking up that real estate...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Have you seen how Rich Ard has his front indicators mounted on his XV920?

Nice build, I like the lines of the bike when the seat is higher. Keep up the good work.

Virago1113 said:
So if it came off a 82 XV750 and it is on your 82 VX750, I assume that it is the original headlight??? ;D
Yep...when I re-read my response it sounded a bit cocky, sorry about that, not intended, just my shit-Brit sense of humour.
It looks different, that is why I asked. I want to order something from Dime City, but I'm not sure what to get. I was thinking of trying to shave some meat off the original mount, but then I lose my mounts for the turn signals. I can't mount the signals on the bar ends, the mirrors are taking up that real estate...

To start off I did take all the 'meat' out of the standard mount but it didn't go with the look I was after so I made up a new mount for the headlight & Ignition. putting spacers in the forks made a big difference to the look of the front end.

That's distortion...my ass is not that fat...

I'm not sure where you are, but in the UK indicators (turn signals) are not legally required (but if fitted they must work) so I will be using the old fashioned method of hand signals, which gesture will depend on my intended action or the unexpected actions of others....
I seem to remember seeing some bar end mirrors with integral Turn signals !!!
Cheers.
Goody.

Back
Top Bottom