82 Virago 750 Cafe Racer (Done!)

Re: 82 Virago 750 Project Cafe

Looking good man!

Looks like you're hanging tough.
My last trip to Iraq resulted in a divorce and marriage too. Now at 51 I find myself with a 2.5 YO daughter!

more parts...

linkage:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQTH9CS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

rear sets:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WFEHADE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

battery:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9LPJ8S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

air filter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E28AVK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

grips:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031BUMF8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

fork boots:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TYHQ18?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Tires:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J8X8C0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J8XCSA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

fork seals:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CK5QKE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s0

The fork seals say they don't fit the Virago, but they do. Found out that the PO had them installed wrong. No wonder they leaked...while they were off I also shined them up,some.

I have more...my wife bought me a bunch of stuff for Christmas and this is also just Amazon (God, I love that place).

I was hoping to mount the tires after the rims were powder coated, but the"man" said my existing tires were too weather cracked...they held air and had great tread...

Loving the build man! I just bought an XV750 last week and am planning on going the same route as you. You posted the picture of your tank lift file, and mentioned making one for the subframe too, but I didn't see one anywhere in the here. If you got some free time would you mind making one up/PM'ing me the specs? Keep it up!

cole.pinnow said:
Loving the build man! I just bought an XV750 last week and am planning on going the same route as you. You posted the picture of your tank lift file, and mentioned making one for the subframe too, but I didn't see one anywhere in the here. If you got some free time would you mind making one up/PM'ing me the specs? Keep it up!

I will see what I can do on that. Sometimes though, I wish I had just bought one...lol.

I have seen some other people out there selling subframes for Viragos. One place is in Australia. I think another is in England. So they are out there and may be cheaper than what you can find in the states. Shipping might kill you though...google Virago cafe racer kit. I think that is what I did and I found some other places.

So here is my new issue. I really want to dump that stock shock. I saw a video where a guy had used an 04 R6 shock on a 82. So i find one on eBay for $24. I figure it is cheap enough to take the chance. I get it home and its too short. Any suggestions?

DohcBikes said:
Buy a tape measure.

Yes that would be apparent.

Now that that it is out of the way...I guess I should have been a little clearer. Obviously the guy in the video was able to get it to work. I'm wondering if I should weld up a mount closer to where the R6 shock will mount or can I make something that would bolt to the shock and to the original mount. If not, back on eBay...I wasn't sure if anyone had done this before, so I guess I'm looking for ideas.

Some sort of shock linkage similar to the factory r6 could work. Something bolting in between. Hard to say without seeing your swingarm. Edit* saw the 04 comment. Maybe you can get the 04 linkage and play with that ?

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,570

IIRC people using the R6 shock modified the mounting point on the frame. The moved it towards the rear of the bike to maintain the geometry and ride height.

The OEM DeCarbon shock isn't a bad one, just under sprung. Progressive Suspension makes a nice replacement spring. Many people find that mod solves any shock issues.

Virago1113 said:
So here is my new issue. I really want to dump that stock shock. I saw a video where a guy had used an 04 R6 shock on a 82. I get it home and its too short. Any suggestions?

I say list it on eBay and start fresh. In nuckingfuts' build he used a '99 Triumph 955i rear shock - only 1/8" shorter than stock. They can be found for around the same price (only slightly more expensive). That's what I plan on using...

Virago1113 said:
I will see what I can do on that. Sometimes though, I wish I had just bought one...lol.

I have seen some other people out there selling subframes for Viragos. One place is in Australia. I think another is in England. So they are out there and may be cheaper than what you can find in the states. Shipping might kill you though...google Virago cafe racer kit. I think that is what I did and I found some other places.

I have seen those other kits. I wouldn't mind buying one but the shipping is outrageous. Almost $100 for international. Doc Chops has a weld together kit for $400 but I still have a hard time justifying that for a few pieces of steel. I get you're paying for the "perfect fit over years of building" but still.

cole.pinnow said:
I say list it on eBay and start fresh. In nuckingfuts' build he used a '99 Triumph 955i rear shock - only 1/8" shorter than stock. They can be found for around the same price (only slightly more expensive). That's what I plan on using...

I have seen those other kits. I wouldn't mind buying one but the shipping is outrageous. Almost $100 for international. Doc Chops has a weld together kit for $400 but I still have a hard time justifying that for a few pieces of steel. I get you're paying for the "perfect fit over years of building" but still.

Yeah, I know that a '94 YFZ (or is it YZF??) was almost a direct swap. It too was a little shorter. I jumped on this hoping that it would be the same length, but for the price I couldn't beat it. Plus it wasn't a 20+ year old shock...

I have the subframe off right now, so I may be able to get to giving you some dimensions this week. I have to leave for San Diego on Sunday, so I will try to get it done.

I will look up the Triumph shock and see what I can get.

Thanks!

Made some progress the last few days, went backwards too...lol.

I ordered a battery box from Twig TT. They are in Australia. The battery box is ABS plastic, so nice and lightweight. It cost $30AUD ($22USD). Bad thing is that when I paid with Paypal, it forgot shipping. :-[
Ian from Twig TT emailed me and told me the shipping was $63AUD($45USD)! I did the math and figured that at roughly $70 i wouldn't have to weld something up. I tried building one last summer and failed miserably. It shipped on a Monday and I had it on Saturday! Can't say I couldn't be happier. It dropped right in and fits perfect...then I tried to put my battery in. Seems that it really is made like the website says for Antigravity batteries...my Battery Tender lithium battery was too big! So I ordered a new battery yesterday...

Ordered my exhaust today and more powder. Dropping the tank off this weekend for paint. Getting ready to strip down for powder/paint.

I have been working on my Sketchup for my subframe. It's almost done. Not sure how I am going to share it yet. I'm going to drop off my subframe and get the welds cleaned up.

Still gotta figure out my rear brake switch. Once you remove the battery mount, you lose the spot for the switch and solenoid...

Getting closer!

Finished my Sketchup for the subframe. I know there were a few out there that wanted it.

Be gentle as I threw this together rather quickly. The tubing came out good, the angled plate, not as well as I would have liked.

This is for educational purposes only...I take no responsibility if anyone builds this and it doesn't fit. It is for reference only. I left off the seat and relay mounts as those are what I have on my bike.

If you want the file, PM me and I will email it to you. You will need to download Sketchup by Trimble. Free program. You can then use the tape measure on the model to get your dimensions.

Stripped the bike down this morning for powder. Was way easier than I feared.

Pretty simple, huh? It's one of the things I really like about the bike.

Taking it a part was the easy part, putting it all together again is where most people have the hard time. :eek:

Bud64 said:
Taking it a part was the easy part, putting it all together again is where most people have the hard time. :eek:

True... But my wife told me last night she has seen this bike apart more times than together... So I have a lot of practice.

I have been following along and enjoying the progress as I learn from your efforts. Thanks. Looking good.

Back
Top Bottom