T500 build-----It's on the ROAD!!!

Re: T500 build

When I put one tooth less on the counter-sprocket and flat bars on my old T500, I could get an indicated 120 mph when I tucked in. Regardless of how accurate the speedometer was, I got about 10 more mph than before.

DR200 rear sprocket (520 chain)will fit T/GT. Some (JT) come with both 8mm holes and 10mm. Other brands may only come with the 8mm holes rectified with 10 minutes of drilling out to the 10mm. For the rear I did use a PBI brand DR200 rear sprocket. They are reasonably priced, fast,and make any size you want. JT makes super nice sprockets in limited sizes and you can get them cheap on Amazon.com. Front 520 JT sprocket is JTF431, fits PE250 and a whole list of others. Check out there online catalog, it lists dimensions and lots of good info.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/6328 http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF431 http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR811m http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/category.sc;jsessionid=0C7814667B5F10EE2D8BCEBD34AB1098.m1plqscsfapp06?categoryId=10

Thanks for the sprocket info...will chase something down.

Couple more little tasks done over the last few days. Got the front and rear fenders on.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Got some new shoes for the back, so got that cleaned up, installed, and it's ready to go back on.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And got the K70's installed.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Sprockets from JT in and installed, which allowed the back wheel to go on.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Plan is for the engine to back into the frame tomorrow.

Thanks Matt. The world is indeed a small place. I'm out in West Carleton. Closer to the Lanark area country roads!!!! :D

Busy day.

Engine was re-installed into the frame.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Nothing crazy here....no new modified mounts, alterations, customizations...just an engine bolted back into the frame that it came out of.

Clipons, levers, switchgear and grips all on, speedometer mounted in place.
ry%3D400

Left switchgear wiring rewrapped and secured, and routed into the frame where it will connect to the main harness.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And I couldn't resist---rolled the chassis into the driveway and sat the tank and seat on ... I'm likin' it!!!

Busy start to May. Hopefully this effort will fall into the "progress" category.

Been staring at the wiring harness. There's a ton of space under the fuel tank - and I'm 99% sure that everything will fit under there. Do I cut up the harness and takes excess lengths out of the wire runs? Or do I see if I can make the original harness fit/run there?

Decided to attempt option 2. Cut away all the original sheathing...it was hard and brittle, and that would not allow for much rerouting/reshaping. Picked up some various sizes of generic wire wrap, and hunkered down.

Installed the horn on its original bracket, but put it inside/behind the frame down tubes. Not as visible. Neat.
Installed the voltage regulator on a bracket hanging off one of the coil's rear mounting bolt. It floats between the frames two top rails and the vertical backbone rail, behind the coils. Mounted the rectifier and signal relay on top of the vertical backbone rail. There's still room for the 4cell battery behind all that.

Lots of trial and error and temporary zipties later, and the newly sheathed harness all packs in under the tank, with connectors where they need to be. Had to make up a small handful of short connecting wires, but it all grounds, and have power everywhere that I need it.

This pic was taken with still some tucking in to do. When I look at it, I do see a rat's nest, and if it gives me issues, I'll tear it all apart and try again. But it all fits and nothing appears to be under any stress.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I still need to run a couple of wires down to where the rear brake switch needs to go, and some wiring out to the tail light/rear signals, but should be able to make that inconspicuous too.

This all got me to this point....tank sat on it's mounts, and seat in its position, and functioning wiring harness nicely hidden.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Put the carbs back on, and the exhaust.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

:D

Looks super clean and tidy! All the extra time you're putting into things like the wire tuck are really paying off.

So let the sun shine......

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And ya....couple of little things I see in that last pic. One of the clipon clamps wasn't tightened down, so it had swung inwards and downwards, and ya...that front fender. Learning from mistakes....line up and mount the fender to the bracket AFTER the tire is on. ::)

Will have to spring for another fender to sort it out....down the road.

Pay no attention to the masking tape on the tank in the second pic...that's a reference line for the imminent conversation with the painter.

Feels like turning the key is getting closer and closer at this point.

Starting to mock up some rearset brackets to get them sorted, and the tank has gone to be painted. Got some air filters coming, and still need to pick up a battery, a chain, and a few additional bits and pieces.

Heading to Robbinsville NC on the 20th for a week of riding their wonderful roads, so prepping for that has started now to take priority.

oops....clicked the "reply" button and got the "this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days"...

Couple more pics. Got the tank painted, Uni filters installed, and tail light installed and connected.

Ordered a tiny battery today that will fit in under the rear of the tank.

Still need to install the chain, sprocket cover etc, build up some basic brackets and install rearsets, run a line from the oil tank to the oil pump, and run the fuel lines to the carbs.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Starting to look like a finished bike!

Back
Top Bottom