JPMs 1977 Suzuki GS550 REDUX

JPM

So I was fiddling around with my phone earlier this week and somehow, my 100+ post build thread was deleted and I have no idea how that happened but it's gone forever never to return. After a few days of sulking and debating whether I should re-start the thread or just fade into oblivion, I've decided to pick this up again. I won't attempt to re-create what was lost, simply to start mid stream and see how it goes. If you have any questions about what was previous done or what I'm using, just ask and I'll post some pictures.

Still left to do: install engine into frame, finish rebuilding front caliper, electrical wiring, seat, tank/fender paint, tuneup, ride

Original Condition:

Current Condition:

Sucks the old tread got deleted! But good luck regardless. looks good so far. Whats the size of those spoked wheels? 18"?

Did you buy new spokes? I just got my '78 GS750 wheels/hubs back from powder coat. I need new spokes. Black preferably.

I priced out new spikes with Buchanan but ended up cleaning and polishing the original spokes instead.

Working on the seat. My initial thought was to do a really small cafe hump on the back. Once I saw it in real life, I started having second thoughts.

So I stripped the foam off and did again with more of the brat banana style. Used some foam the upholstery guy gave me which was a huge improvement. Dropped off the seat at the upholsterer this week. It'll take a while because he's apparently pretty busy.

I finally got the engine to the point where is could go into the frame. Mounted up exhaust and rearsets.

Haven't played with the jets yet. Been searching the Internet high and low for what others have done so I have a decent idea on where to start. Plan is to hopefully get close first try and then dial it in. Problem is everyone seems to be doing something different.

I've been messing with the carburators for the past week or two. Initially, I ran through an ultra sonic cleaner, soda blasted, degreased and blasted again before masking and painting black. When reassembling, I really decided that painted carbs weren't the best idea after all.

So, I stripped off all the paint, soda blasted (again), cleaned all passageways (again), and then soaked in carb cleaner followed by aluminum brightener. After assembly, I think I'm on the right track now but it was a lot of work.

I also bought k&n oval dual flange filters which I've seen used on the GS550 but unfortunately, they hit the frame so will be returned. Turns out they work with the CV carbs which are a little smaller but not with the VMs. After additional research, I ended up with the proper k&n filters.

I'm waiting on jets from Z1 and am toying with the idea of taking apart (3rd time) and polishing the carbs. Worth the effort?

In the process, I lost one of the pilot needle springs. It hit the shop floor and immediately disappeared to never be found. Any ideas on where to source a replacement?

Also cleaned and rebuilt the petcock. These seem to be a weak spot on the early GS bikes from what I can tell. Finding a replacement that didn't cost a fortune was tough so I ordered new internals and am going to hold my breath.

Next up, tank paint.....

Where did you find the internals to rebuild that petcock? My cb550's petcock completely disintegrated and now I need to fix that little bugaboo. I've been having trouble finding a place that sells the proper parts for a rebuild. Looking good otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom