DWMS Racing KZ440 Brat Style Cafe Racer Build

joeyputt

The green flag sets me free
I finished this build last september and I thought you all may enjoy some photos!

Here are before and after photos of the bike we started with and how she looks now!

The build sheet!

DWMS Racing modified factory KZ440 frame with ignition switch relocated in to the front of the frame, new rear frame section with seat support pan welded to the new rear hoop and a built in battery box, cut down and smoothed KZ440 rear fender welded to the frame and finished in satin black paint

Clubman handlebars with polished handlebar clamps

Top triple tree shaved and smoothed, both triple trees painted satin black

Atach digital GPS speedometer

New small chopper style headlight, Led tail light, and LED turn signals

New aftermarket chrome front master cylinder and rebuilt front brake caliper

Alloy bar end mirrors

New seals in the front forks with fork lowers painted satin black and a chrome fork brace

New Hagon rear shocks

Horn relocated to the front of the frame

Internally stock KZ440 engine for street use with rebuilt top end, all new seals, and gaskets, and painted satin black with DWMS Racing polished factory engine covers

Mikuni VM carburetors with new throttle control, cables, and UNI air filters

Factory KZ440 headers with EMGO slash cut chrome mufflers and black header wrap

The sides of the gas tank were filled and smoothed, the original gas cap was removed and replaced with a flush mount assembly, the inside of the tank was sealed with caswell black magic, painted red, and finished with a new fuel petcock valve

DWMS Racing custom steel seat pan covered with a new foam and a custom made cover

New alloy foot pegs

Factory rims fainted satin black with new tubes and tires

Modified KZ440 factory chrome belt guard

Belt drive to chain drive conversion

I will keep adding more information to the build sheet and more new photos today!

These photos show the triple trees after I smoothed the top tree, painted them satin black and with the new Atach GPS speedometer on the new mount that I built!

Here are the front forks after the new seal were installed and the lowers were painted satin black

Here are a few photos of the frame after I completed all of the custom frame work and painted it and the swingarm satin black

Here is the factory KZ440 fuel tank with the sides filled and smoothed, the original gas cap removed and replaced with a flush mount assembly, and painted a beautiful red color!

I painted the front and rear rims, rear brake plate, etc. satin black to match the frame and engine and mounted new tubes and tires

Here are the wheels mounted on the bike with the brake and the belt to chain drive conversion!

Here are some photos that show the custom seat cover on the pan that I built to match the shape of the rear of the fuel tank and the new rear frame section!

These photos show the top end after I rebuilt it and had it ready to go on the engine and the complete engine with satin black paint and the engine covers that I polished!

I am getting a "Oops! Your image was linked incorrectly" box for each picture. Anyone else able to see them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rusnak_322 said:
I am getting a "Oops! Your image was linked incorrectly" box for each picture. Anyone else able to see them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of oops for me as well.

Very well done and documented sir! As far as "brat style" goes, this looks like one of the more functional iterations. Take notes kids!

coyote13 said:
Very well done and documented sir! As far as "brat style" goes, this looks like one of the more functional iterations. Take notes kids!

You mean there's more than 1" clearance between the rear wheel and the seat pan?! ;D

And it has a fender and brace! And actual lights! And REAL tires! And, and, and....and the carbs might actually be tuuuuuned!

Seriously, this whole thread is refreshing

VERY nice build! It is hard to get the LTD (or Custom, or "L" model depending which '80s cruiser clone you have) out of the bike and have it look nice unless you re-engineer the frame. Any more specifics on the carbs you used, jetting, intake manifolds, throttle cables, etc.?

I am happy that you all like this build brothers, your compliments and support mean more to me than you know!

Brother zap2504 we installed Mikuni carburetors that came in a kit with the intake manifolds and a new throttle with cables etc. and the bike felt really good to me for my riding style however the owner lives in the city with a lot of stop and go traffic so he would like them to be a little leaner, he purchased a new single carburetor with a intake to try however I have not heard back from him yet to see if he likes the way it performs in the city compared to the mikuni carburetors.

That's surprising as I would think you would want a more rich mixture to cool the engine in more stop-and-go conditions. Do you still have the source for the Mikuni kit? Couple other questions. Did you replace or re-use the rubber handlebar mount cushions (and source if replaced)? Details on the front fork brace in place of the fender? Did you use the same length shocks as OEM? I assume you re-used the OEM 19"/16" wheels. What tires did you use and why use tubes with cast wheels?

Back
Top Bottom