Why is it so "expensive" to build a Yamaha XS500??

SDmtnbkr

hello DoTheTon.... Since is is my first post I guess a little intro would be appropriate. I'm San Diegan currently living out of my backpack on the back on a shitty (don't tell him that) Chinese copy Honda Win traveling around Vietnam, Laos and hopefully Thailand. I've been living in Asia a while and have come to love riding everyday so I've been doing my homework on what I want to build when I get home. I've ridden dirt bikes for years but this Honda Win is my first actual motorcycle.

I really want to build an XS500 when I get home in a few months but every time I search about them people are always saying "don't build an XS500 unless you wanna spend a lot of money" ....could someone please elaborate on that? Are the engine rebuild parts expensive? Are parts hard to find?? What's the deal and why do people shy away from them?

Looks like CB550/750's are the hot item and rightfully so I guess, they're gorgeous, look fun to ride and there's tons of info online about them and no brainier YouTube videos on just about anything kind of maintenance you could want to do! But I would just really love to build an XS500 because I read that they were just stacked from the factory... DOHC, front & rear disk brakes, lots of power. And because I just like to do things the hard way, always seems more rewarding in the end :) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Buy a GOOD RUNNING 1978 and then you won't have to spend a bunch of money. If you can't find one don't proceed.

I miss my win

Attachments

• DSC_7694.JPG
    DSC_7694.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 272
jimmer said:
Buy a GOOD RUNNING 1978 and then you won't have to spend a bunch of money. If you can't find one don't proceed.

This is exactly the kind of answers I keep finding, could you please elaborate? Is there a reason I should only buy a 1978 over all other years? So a '76 in running condition wouldn't be a good bet??

J-Rod10 said:
It's expensive to "build" anything, if you can't do the work yourself.

I can do almost anything the bike would need myself... with guidance and some direction and info. I've worked on cars my whole life, I was a certified helicopter maintenance inspector and power plants (helicopter drivetrain) work enter supervisor, and I've rebuilt all my dirt bikes top ends. I'm not saying I'm a pro, but don't write me off as an amateur just because this was my first post. I've been a gear head all my life, with some direction and a good maintenance manual, I'm pretty damn proficient. ....any input on the XS500 specifically?

Thanks!

Re: Why is it so "expensive" to build a Yamaha XS500??

SDmtnbkr said:
This is exactly the kind of answers I keep finding, could you please elaborate? Is there a reason I should only buy a 1978 over all other years? So a '76 in running condition wouldn't be a good bet??

I can do almost anything the bike would need myself... with guidance and some direction and info. I've worked on cars my whole life, I was a certified helicopter maintenance inspector and power plants (helicopter drivetrain) work enter supervisor, and I've rebuilt all my dirt bikes top ends. I'm not saying I'm a pro, but don't write me off as an amateur just because this was my first post. I've been a gear head all my life, with some direction and a good maintenance manual, I'm pretty damn proficient. ....any input on the XS500 specifically?

Thanks!
That wasn't a jab at you. More-so at people who say how expensive it is to build a bike. It is, when you can't build a motor, body work, etc. You're not having to buy a $10K motor and trans to get started. A bike can be had for a few hundred bucks, say a grand for one running. Another grand, and some skill, and you can have yourself a damn nice bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Here's a photo of my Win.... just get some photos in this thread!! He's a North Vietnamese defector.... i.e. I removed the Vietnam flag and replaced them with white stars.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    876.5 KB · Views: 276

J-Rod10 said:
That wasn't a jab at you. More-so at people who say how expensive it is to build a bike. It is, when you can't build a motor, body work, etc. You're not having to buy a $10K motor and trans to get started. A bike can be had for a few hundred bucks, say a grand for one running. Another grand, and some skill, and you can have yourself a damn nice bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

J-Rod thanks for the clarification! I totally understand, I'm just asking so I don't buy a an XS500 and then do spit later that they are prone to cracking heads or something and replacing that would set me back a couple grand... random scenery, I'm just sayin', but kinda like that post about only gettin a '78. Is there something known to be wrong with other years or is that just a preference thing? As long as that's not the case, I'll find a good running one and have at it.

Iirc, the pre 78 had the issue w the cracking heads. That can be remedied though.

Any particular reason you're dead set on the XS500?

VonYinzer said:
Iirc, the pre 78 had the issue w the cracking heads. That can be remedied though.

Good question. XS650's are widely available, parts are more than plentiful. And they're sweet running little bikes.

I don't mean to give ya a hardtime w that question btw. The XS500 is actually a pretty neat motor. Pretty advanced for its time in some regards.

But as has been stated, there are a multitude of other models from Yamaha and other manufacturers that are "easier" to build based on aftermarket support and the number of them produced.

I know you mention the 500 as being "stacked from the factory" but there are other, easier to aquire bikes that are just as nice from a performance standpoint.

If it's the challenge of doing a build from a bit if an oddball scoot, than right on. As a first build just make sure the bike is complete and in running shape when you buy it. It'll save you piles of time and money.

VonYinzer said:
I don't mean to give ya a hardtime w that question btw. The XS500 is actually a pretty neat motor. Pretty advanced for its time in some regards.

But as has been stated, there are a multitude of other models from Yamaha and other manufacturers that are "easier" to build based on aftermarket support and the number of them produced.

I know you mention the 500 as being "stacked from the factory" but there are other, easier to aquire bikes that are just as nice from a performance standpoint.

If it's the challenge of doing a build from a bit if an oddball scoot, than right on. As a first build just make sure the bike is complete and in running shape when you buy it. It'll save you piles of time and money.

I had a 650 Special, a XS400 and a CB360 BITD. I would have to say that the 360 was my favorite. May have be slightly smaller than what you are looking for but you could always try the Honda. A friend of mine just picked one up and when I described how I loved how the 360 was quick from the line he didn't believe me until he rode it and he fell in love.

VonYinzer...love your signature...Red at Night by Gaslight Anthem.

Yup. Great band. I got fucked and sent out if town for work last year when they played an outdoor show here in Pittsburgh with (my favorite band) Murder By Death opening. Still salty about that.

Also... Don't take offense to this, but you liked your CB360 more than an XS650? Crazy pills man, crazy pills. Haha.

VonYinzer said:

Hey thanks for all the responses guys.... to be honest the first cafe racer that ever caught my eye (and opened them to cafe's) was an XS500. After that I kinda fell in love with the CB550's, but I've been traveling for 2 years now and in that two years I've just seen so many of them and every time I see a well build XS500 (with that square tank) I just want one. Must be that first love thing, I don't know. It's definitely also about building an oddball and the challenge. I definitely take head to people's advice though, so I've been looking for a CB550 close to home but I just saw a well running XS500 pop up somewhere. So I just wanted to make sure that if I jumped on an well running XS500 I wouldn't regret it later. Sounds like as long as it's running good, I'll keep an open mind to them.

Virago - oh man I love the CB360's but I'm moving back to San Diego and it's all big highways. We all drive like 80-85mph as a cruising speed. No joke. I'm likely gonna be commuting about 25miles, each way a day..... can the CB360 keep up at that speed?

VonYinzer said:
Not if you want it to last a year.

Yeah I agree with Von. I never took my CB on the highway and our highways here in CNY are nothing like CA's... Lol. I don't even like taking my 750 on rt 81 here. But living in the country gives you plenty of winding back roads and I liked the CB over the 650 for that. Call me crazy but it was a better ride IMHO. But of course to each his own. Don't think I would pass up on any of them if I came across one for a decent price. Gotta finish my project first...

I owned a nice, clean 1973 TX500 back in 1982, same bike as the XS500. The best day of ownership was when the POS was stolen from my parents driveway. That said it would have made a great anchor.

Run away!

Back
Top Bottom