CB200 Australia, Why did i buy this thing!

jcjoey101

Hey dothetoners!

Shout out to everyone on here, its a great site and is what inspired me, someone with almost no motorcyle experience, to try and build a caferacer/cool custum bike as my first. The aim was to do it as cheap as possible and the try reuse as many parts as possible that could be cleaned up to work or look good again.

I brought this 1975 CB200 earlier in the year and figured i needed to start a thread. I paid 200 bucks for it, which was $200 too much for this peice of junk! It was filthy dirty, was missing various parts and the engine was seized. I remember having it on the trailer on the way home delighted with my new purchase and the prospect of a sweet bike at the end. How naive...

Anyways i got stuck in full of enthusiasm, did a heap of research and gave it a shot. This is my progress so far, which isnt much really but its a start.

Hopefully you can help me through this!
Picture will be comeing to get you up to speed (if youd call it speed)

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 297
  • 040 (Medium).JPG
    040 (Medium).JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 043 (Medium).JPG
    043 (Medium).JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 278
This is the bike been striped down. The engine is a terrible condition, the fluid was in the piston when i opened it up. More rust

Attachments

• DSCF0234 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0234 (Medium).JPG
    150 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCF0221 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0221 (Medium).JPG
    160 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF0218 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0218 (Medium).JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 278
  • DSCF0206 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0206 (Medium).JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 267
Hey - you have a great project bike there, the CB200 tank with that ribbed strip down the centre is one of the coolest tanks ever. I always wanted to do a brat seat in two colours to match the tank stripe.

From the looks of the bike rego - you are in NSW?

Cheers maduncle, right now all i can see is a lot of work ahead of me hopefully it pays off though! yer im in NSW just above Canberra.

Here is the frame and other bits and peiced been painted, i used an etch primer undercoat and kill rust epoxy enamel for the top coat, went with black, i might change this down the line im not sure. Also i striped all the old paint off before realising i could have left it on... oh well hours gone to waste.

I soaked the engine for ages and then eventually set it on fire to try get the piston unstuck. After a couple of burns and a little persuation from my uncle we got it unstuck.

Attachments

• DSCF0303 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0303 (Medium).JPG
    148 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0347 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0347 (Medium).JPG
    96 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCF0279 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0279 (Medium).JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0583 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0583 (Medium).JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 267
Now here comes the first question. Im currently up to splitting the cases (the kick starter was freely spinning so i had to) and as far as i can tell i have to remove the oil filter (on the right) but for the life of me i cant find out how?

Attachments

• IMG_0813 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0813 (Medium).JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 270
So it looks like you will have some sleeve boring and some valve seat grinding to do there.

I had the same problem with my CB450 engine, with the bike lying on its side in a paddock for years both pistons were rusted in place.

5423944e.jpg

But the work has been worth it.

file-67.jpg

If removing a CB200 oil filter is anything like removing a CB450 one - you need to find a long metric bolt that threads inside the centre of the oil filter so it then presses the filter out, or you need to buy the special tool.

Try looking at a parts schematic:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb200-general-export_model16412/partslist/E03.html#results

It looks like a similar set up to the CB450, you need to bend the lock washer metal tang off the side of the bolt that is inside the oil filter to then get a socket on the bolt.

Re: Re: CB200 Australia, Why did i buy this thing!

jcjoey101 said:
as far as i can tell i have to remove the oil filter (on the right) but for the life of me i cant find out how?
Unfortunately there os a special tool (socket rather) that must be used to remove it. I do not know of any other way to get it off. Do not be discouraged, a cb200 can be made into a cool looking and fun little bike. There are quite a few examples of really nice builds that have been done in the past and a few going on now here on this forum. Good luck!

Re: Re: CB200 Australia, Why did i buy this thing!

cyclefreak said:
Unfortunately there os a special tool (socket rather) that must be used to remove it. I do not know of any other way to get it off. Do not be discouraged, a cb200 can be made into a cool looking and fun little bike. There are quite a few examples of really nice builds that have been done in the past and a few going on now here on this forum. Good luck!

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cb200/?filters%5Bcategory%5D=tools

Oil filter spanner wrench 35-0051, you can find them on eBay too.

You could also modify a 22mm socket to look exactly like the tool. I used tacky grease on the nut to get a impression of where to cut the socket to create the tool.

I also use my impact gun and a wooden doorstop to remove that stubborn nut.

Big fan of the small cc bikes and Hondas more so, will be keen to see you progress, great biie! ...andy...

Nice bike maduncle, and yer i will have some boring to do. Ill be seeking your advice when i get to that!

So am i right in saying i just keep screwing in a long bolt until it pushs out and then i need the special socket to remove the rest? Ill have a play around tonight.

Thanks andy ill try to post when ever i have news, although its a slow project haha

I managed to get the oil filter off tonight after much hassle. I made a tool instead of buying the special oil filter wrench. I made it out of some square steel tubing by cutting out the middle and leaving the corners up to make the tabs that would fit into the groves on the nut. It was pretty crude and didn't fit perfectly but it did the job!

qydy5ugu.jpg

I'm now trying to split the cases but I'm not having any luck. I have removed every screw and double checked. I even resorted to hammering a small flat-head screwdriver between them but then realised i was probably damaging the cases. Any tips or trick for this?
Happy new year!

Hey man,

I feel your pain, I went out and bought a cb200 (from Sydney) last year also and your intro story sounds surprisingly familiar.

I also have made little progress with my project. Will be keeping an eye on this tread to see how it pans out... and maybe it will inspire me to get back into it.

I had the same problem with my cases. The problem I was having was that the pins in the cases were rusted and holding them together yet. Take a wood block or rubber mallet and hit the top of the cases outwards. Also try heating the bolt holes. That should do it.

I really like this guy's negativity!
The engine work is perhaps the most discouraging part of the build. Especially for motorcycle-virgins because there is tons of work with seemingly little reward at the time.
Be patient, set up a big clean area where you can keep things organized and don't throw anything away. I had my 175 motor in pieces for the better part of 8 months.
Have fun with your bike!

I have a CB100, which is probably not a big deal......but, I too have it spread out over the work bench. The piston was so stuck, it took a sledge hammer and block of wood to get it out..............

But, hang in there.....I really can't say it get better or not.

I will be watching though.

I too feel your pain, only my basket case was a Buell. Similar circumstances, laying on its side in a salvage yard for several years, lots of rusty water inside the cylinders and lower case, pistons rusted in place, only mine was severely crashed. Three years later and a shit-load of new and used parts, I rebuilt it from the ground up. At least your 200 appears to have good bones. I have no doubt you can bring it back to life. Maduncle's pic is awesome, BTW.

Apply heat to the highlighted areas, and tap the case with a rubber mallet. The locating pins get stuck because of rust or liquid gasket.

Even with a clean case the sticking point is in those areas.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    136 KB · Views: 550
Back
Top Bottom