Gr650 salvage help

The valvetrain is unlikely to cause lean issues. If its not carb adjustment from reassembly time, then it'll (most likely) be an air leak.
Check those carb manifolds and their o-rings: they are your most likely (and cheapest) cause on these bikes. Make sure the carb mounting clamps are tight and use your factory airbox, if you still have it.

Ok. I took the manifolds off yesterday. The o rings were intact but we'd dry as heck. Snapped like a twig when I held them. Luckily I had some spare o rings from my cx650 that fit in. I quickly threw on the carbs with a attaching anything to it to test it ( throttle, choke, air box). It seemed to idle better. I'm going to fool around with it some more today if I get the chance.

Thanks again for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

So heres a small video of it running. I hooked everything up (except the trottle cable, oops), turned the fule mixture screws 3 turns out from start (seems right) and left the choke on. After a tiny spritz of carb cleaner it jumps alive. I turned the idle up on it just to keep it going. Its revving much better but youl notice abit of hesitation 3/4 of the way. Its not backfiring anymore (it was doing that before though im pretty sure because the mixture was wayyyyy off) Problem i have now is if i turn the choke off it dies. Think it still has to do with the idle jet?

I feel it getting closer!!

I decided im going to get an US cleaner just need to scrounge up the cash for it in a few weeks. If i cant work it out by than, than il have to clean it again. Before any of that i still have some of your suggestions to run through.

I plan on keeping the stock airbox but ive seen a few Tempters running with pod filters. Is it something worth looking into?

Thanks for the support.

https://youtu.be/A8P1mTP5YyM

Heres a picture of "stubby". I find it a very fitting name.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 241
Hey Kolby how's it going =) how you getting on with those carbs? I looked around for a ultrasonic cleaner as well when I was working on mine but came up short. Figured I'd go the manual route instead - bought a few bottles of Pine Sol (the original green one - not the lavender scented one) and soaked then for about 24 hours. No need to boil them in pinesol, just soak. I broke up the carb bank and soaked each carb in it's own little bath, they came out great. One thing I learnt doing this is that not all the parts on my carbs liked the pinesol however, namely the vacuum valve thingy on top of one of the carbs that acts as the fuel intake from the petcock. This part (on my carbs at least) is made from a pot metal that reacted with the pinesol. Got it out of there before any damage was done, but best to remove it beforehand.

Once I'd soaked them I then completely disassembled the carbs (I purchased a manual from Mike Nixon - http://www.motorcycleproject.com - which proved invaluable, check out his website. Think it might be geared more to Hondas but there's a ton of great info on his site), bought a rebuild kit from Randakk's and got the things rebuilt. I don't have an air compressor so bought a few cans of compressed air from Canadian Tire (it's used for cleaning computer parts etc, costs about $10 a can) which did the job. A useful trick I learnt from Mike Nixon was to taper the end of the straw on the can of carb cleaner using some very fine sandpaper - this allows you to really jam the end of the straw into the tiny jet holes and passages etc in the carbs. Tricky getting the throttle and choke linkages reassembled if you do decide to break up the carb bank but doable.

Great to hear Stubby running, she sounds great! Good luck mate, see you on the 40...

Back
Top Bottom