2b's Ace

2b

Been Around the Block
My Ace has made it to NZ and is being trans shipped from Auckland to Christchurch.

I was able to specify adjustable shocks (no shroud), metal brake fluid cylinder, black frame, black engine, silver tank and the factory custom built it.

Gathering bits and pieces for it's arrival :) The forum has been great, thanks for all your posts, I have cherry picked ideas from lots of you!

Here is the plan to make it my own...
ALL NEW RIDING GEAR
Shoei XR1100 helmet
Rev'it Roamer jacket
Draggin New Gen jeans
TCX X-Five boots

BEFORE RIDING
Trim rim/spokes
Michelin M45 tyres
Braided front brake line
Front brake pads Vesrah VD250JL (equivalent of EBC FA165HH)
Rear brake shoes EBC 303
25mm nut and bolt spacer in front shocks
Factory chrome exhaust
Rejet carb with factory jets
NGK Iridium DPR9EIX-9
Remove EGR and blank hole
Rear sprocket 34T
Disconnect side stand switch
Remove decals
Remove reflectors
Custom decals
Napoleon mirrors

SOON
NGK plug cap
D.I.D. chain
Rear hub bushes and bolts?
Flip or turn down handlebars
Replace front indicators with black bullet style
LED rear stop, tail and indicators
Replace bolts with stainless steel ones
Remove rear mudguard
7" headlight
Battery under seat (Shorai Lithium?)
Remove side covers
Replace rear shocks? It comes with the newer 3 stage adjustable ones.
Remove starter motor?
Move number plate to vertical position on right hand side of bike
Replace footpegs?
Replace speedo and add tacho?

AFTER RUNNING IN - see how it is running and...
Molkt or Mikuni carb?
Pod or silver velocity stack?
Replace CDI?
Replace coil?
Replace shock oil?
Upgrade to 150cc?

Awesome 2b
really recommend doing it in stages to
appreciate what each mod gives you and why!
which I have done
Really good bike to educate yourself without any real
risk of a big price fix ? if it goes south and it shouldnt with
all info here on DDT skyteam ACE
So far I've done all the mod's to get her going and loved
every little bit I've squeezed out!
So as it stands and from what I know and have seen (crazy 's bike)
best upgrade is the 150 kit!!!!
u should add it to your wish list!
its on mine :)
cheers ACEitup

I second 2b on this - do it progressively you'll appreciate the improvements more.

I ran mine for a whole 15km before rejetting it, removing the EGR and replacing the CDI, this change alone was a massive upgrade from starting to pick up when setting off.

Then the tyres were swapped out and this weekend with 750kms under my belt the suspension was changed all round.

Next is the front sprocket swap for a 16T one, then the exhaust (funds wont allow the exhaust just yet so sprocket to tide my upgrade bug over for now).

Almost 900kms now, due for another service shortly, and she, not to mention my riding, just keeps getting better.

Thanks guys. I decided all the stuff in the 'before riding' section was either safety related or a no brainer. The dealer will probably end up doing most of that while he puts the bike together. The next chunk is mostly cosmetic and easily done. And the final bits are all "costly" bits which I may find unnecessary for my commuting and occasional weekend rides. I have added the 150 upgrade to the wish list though

I am also busy acquiring riding gear as I am coming back to riding after 30 years away. Gear is so good now and so much choice. On the family's instructions, and listening to my own inner voice, I will be doing the all the gear all the time thing. Xr1100 helmet, draggin jeans, revit roamer jacket and tcx x-five boots. Feels like overkill for a small commuter but this just a foot in the door. I am sure a bigger bike will join it at some stage.

Has anyone done the cdi or the coil upgrade without anything else at the same time. I am wondering about the benefits of these changes?

getting good safety gear might seem over the top for a commuter but before long you will find yourself riding this bike to the edge. It feels fast (with mods) and you will probably push it past the edge one day. There are two kinds of riders, ones that have dropped a bike and ones that have not dropped a bike "yet". it is inevitable , so the good gear is essential .

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have finally taken delivery. Just rode home this evening only 7.5k on the clock. Loving it. Thanks to all the contributors on here for posting so much useful stuff.

Lots done already, plenty more planned, see the first post. But now I just want to get some miles on to it.

Here is what has been done so far...
Factory chrome (non-cat) exhaust
EGR removed
Rejetted carb
NGK DPR9EIX-9 Iridium spark plug
34T rear sprocket
Shortened chain
Trued the wheels
Michelin M45 tyres
Nut and bolt spacers in front shocks
S/S front brake hose (not in these pics)
EBC H303 rear brake shoes
Still standard front pads, as Vesrahs that I purchased were too thick

Bike was shipped from China late May and has the revised brake layout, the black metal master cylinder and 5 adjustments on the unshrouded shocks.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• mine2.jpg
    mine2.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 556
  • mine3.jpg
    mine3.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 486
Glad for you that you've taken delivery at last, get a few miles on and do mods one at a time so you get to enjoy each difference.
look forward to seeing changes, TAD.

I'm glad you now have your ace to tinker with! Once you start there is no way to stop changing bits! ;D

I remember when i first saw the Ace in Black and Silver, I didn't like it that much, if at all. But since I started seeing this forum, it's been slowly growing up on me to the point I wouldn't mind having a 2nd Ace in that Color!!! :D

Keep us updated!

Cheers.

Got to be happy with that... Nice work. Looks great. Go out and have some fun. Bet you can't stop somewhere without somebody coming up to ask about the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks sweet.
"Factory chrome (non-cat) exhaust" ...I'm confused, where did you get this? How can I get one!

Acebrybry said:
Looks sweet.
"Factory chrome (non-cat) exhaust" ...I'm confused, where did you get this? How can I get one!

I saw a picture of it somewhere and asked my dealer here in Christchurch NZ to order it in when he ordered the bike for me.

The factory were not allowed to fit it, as the ACE in NZ is homologated for the "black cat" exhaust, but they put it in the same crate.

It was NZ$195.

Motorcycling Downunder are my dealer and they have been great to deal with.

Thanks for all the comments.

I got on and did the mirrors tonight. Was very easy, the weights did not need much persuasion to move. Slightly more on the throttle side and slightly more work needed with the dremel throttle side to make sure the expansion style mirror connection didn't foul the throttle sleeve or rubber.

They have about 5 positions that they can easily click between. Will settle on what I like best over the next few days.

Attachments

• mirrors after.jpg
    mirrors after.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 472
  • mirrors before.jpg
    mirrors before.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 401
  • mirror tools.jpg
    mirror tools.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 432
Hey mate.
I have been trying to get a hold of anyone who can find me a factory chrome non cat exhaust. Iv contacted your dealer, several other dealers and skyteam parts in china --all with no response. Looks so stock and badass.
I don't suppose you'd have any other leads?
I bought some bar end mirrors very similar to what you have, visibility is so much better now!

Bry

Yep the mirrors made a huge difference. I had two goes on the throttle side to get it right. Sorted now, all tightened up and fixed in place.

I have asked my contact at the factory how you can get hold of the chrome exhaust.

It is Chinese new year at the moment and lots of people away on holiday over there, so that may be why you have not heard back from the Chinese Skyteam parts people. I think they are back to work on Monday 6th. Will keep you posted.

I have a chance to scavenge parts from a 2007 Sktyeam ST150 dirt bike. Just 20 hours of usage. A mate bought it for his kids but it was too heavy and has just sat in his garage.

Thinking about
Engine or just head, cylinder piston etc to do the 150 upgrade?
Carb CARBURETOR (150CC)(Keihin PTGM34BTGaST) How do I figure out if this is better than current stock one?
Rear hub and disk brake (would need relacing to my rim and an appropriate sprocket as the ST150 rear wheel is 16 inch)

Parts list here
http://www.skyteamcanada.com/st150y1_parts.htm

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,106
  • IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,111
  • IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,100
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,123
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 1,110
Had great fun in hilly twisty parts of my run to Akaroa and back for the weekend.

Confirmed the lack of oomph at full revs in top gear. Ended up trickling along on the straights at 75-80kmh. Will do the spark plug chop test when time allows.

Just a new decal since last pics.

Attachments

• WP_20141012_004 1.jpg
    WP_20141012_004 1.jpg
    981.4 KB · Views: 350
Back
Top Bottom