76 CB360, Cherry Bomb at Barber's

Re: 76 CB360, happy w pipes.

Your bike is one of the few conversions that is done well, and looks good....

I love the pipes.....

mydlyfkryzis said:
Your bike is one of the few conversions that is done well, and looks good....

I love the pipes.....

Holy cow dude, I am honored, thankyou! :)

After we fired her up. My buddy Greg (welder in the pic above) suggested a crossover tube, in the event the new mufflers create too much back pressure. So, now I am considering options for that. I could fit something up front behind front tire or at the muffler connections running through the frame.

As it stands now. I can still easily fit the carbs on and off the bike, without removing either exhaust pipe. And i want to keep it that way. I=0-p[ HOLY FREAKIN HELL A MOUSE JUST RAN UP MY PANT LEG ALL THE WAY PAST MY KNEE !!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Threw/dropped the laptop and kicked my table tossing my coffee and ashtray across the garage.. BRB I got to do a little clean up here...maybe even fresh pajama pants!!! HOLY SHIT!

OK just let me start over a bit.... ;)

As it stands now. I can still easily fit the carbs on and off the bike, without removing either exhaust pipe. And i want to keep it that way.

I dont know if the location of crossover would be more/less effective or if it makes a difference, where its at in the system. One, top priority is a leak free connection that can be pretty easily removed and re-assembled. without being a pain in the butt.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Also, sending you a PM about a side project I am starting. AND fully expect your participation. Consider it non-optional. lol

Re: 76 CB360, making ready for checking carbs.

FINGERS CROSSED, The best news Ive had in 3 months!

wake up thursday to -1, steadily climbing throughout the week to 50 and sunny! gonna install the o2 sensor on the old girl and see what its gonna take to get her dialed in this weekend. 8)

11494-020315174106.jpeg

Re: 76 CB360, Please share H-pipe knowledge.

Looking for H-pipe info, thoughts, ideas, but mostly education. So, please share your knowledge.

In the event I find the need to add an H-pipe.

I am looking for ideas to get the best performance. PLUS not a huge pain in the butt to remove system from bike. As it is a 360 and this pipe will need to be removed and reinstalled.

So far the only "good" idea I have dreamed up is a flanged butt connector using a header doughnut gasket.
11494-030315042312-78638.jpeg

Using a pair of these flange connections...
11494-030315050029.jpeg

as for location I have 2 feasible spots, dont know if one is more/less effective than the other...

close to head.

11494-030315042312-7851785.jpeg

Or at the center of system close to mufflers. As it is now I have plenty of room to remove carbs without removing exhaust. And I do intend to keep it that way.

11494-030315042312-7841902.jpeg

I think the exhaust needs to route under the frame for a proper h-pipe. Plus, are you sure you want to open that exhaust up even more?

I am just getting ahead of myself at this point. I will know more real soon. Hopefully get to actually ride the thing this weekend. The new mufflers are chambered and seem to have considerably more restriction than the old.

H-pipe should be added high up. Ideally within a foot or so of the head.

The idea behind an H-pipe is that additional volume is added in early so that the exhaust gases face less resistance when entering the pipe. They expand quickly to use all available volume and any resistance to that expansion is going to travel back into the combustion chamber. Very little exhaust gases actually travel back and forth, so the H portion is sort of like a holding area.

The H-pipe allows each cylinder to use both sides of the exhaust at the same time, thus making for a much more open exhaust. An X-pipe would be even better for the purpose to build one. Not sure if that's what you mean by "holding area".

X-pipe has more to do with flow as it allowed the exhaust gases to take the path of least resistance. Basically, each header feeds into both exhaust pipes, as needed. In an H-pipe, the exhaust gases tend to stay on their own side and only occupy the H section for a little white.

To be honest, though, the gains on either are minor on an engine this small and the best benefit is probably the sound.

Thanks so much for the great info guys!!!

thats the sort of stuff I was looking for.

Getting her dialed in this weekend then a ride! So, I will know a helluva lot more than I do now.

Hey trek love the bike! Spent some time getting caught up on your build thread here tonight.

Why not try a sort of stainless furnco type coupling to connect the exhaust for now. And if this does solve your back pressure problem, then make the cross under/in front of the frame so its out of your way permanently. ?
I dont know much about tinkerin on bikes but i know a lot about plumbing. Theres gotta be something you can mock up just to see if thats what will solve the back pressure problem.

thanks trav.
just getting some education in the event it turns out I do need something, in the future. hopefully it turns out to be great the way it is. So, I dont have to jack w it.

Yeah its gonna be around 40 Saturday and Sunday here(Indiana). I imagine we'll both be on the road if only for short jaunts haha. Cant wait for my stock maiden voyage and i hope your rides are informative for ya and you dont have any more issues. Be safe.

travgusmc said:
Yeah its gonna be around 40 Saturday and Sunday here(Indiana). I imagine we'll both be on the road if only for short jaunts haha. Cant wait for my stock maiden voyage and i hope your rides are informative for ya and you dont have any more issues. Be safe.

Looks like we got the same forecast, bubba! champaign illinois here. So, you must be kinda close.
lol you must be pretty new to 360s. These things got a lot of personality. But I wouldnt have it any other way. ::)

xb33bsa said:
i thought the h pipe was fro 360 degree cranks ?

Hey bud, Given my limited knowledge on the H pipe thing, I am not exactly sure how to interpret that???

The reason I would be looking into the H pipe is, Going from wide open glass packs to the new mufflers (baffled and chambered) made a HUGE and SHOCKING change in the sound. And the throttle was hanging. (lean) and I had to crank up on idle speed (lean) My buddy Greg and I were afraid they may be a bit too retrictive.
So the H pipe was gonna simply divide the (pulse) between both mufflers, so as to reduce the restriction.

But, at this point its only about education. After some quality carb tuning time and a ride this weekend. If I find we are wrong and she performs at least as good, as is. I will be a very happy camper.

Slip on before the muffler would be the easiest way to do it. Then it you dont like it just slip it off and stick the mufflers back on.

As for the performance side of things... I have no idea. Never looked into it as I believe it would disrupt exhaust flow.

Edit: I can understand Matts post about it creating a holding area, I wonder how much this would affect exhaust pulse flow?

Brodie said:
Edit: I can understand Matts post about it creating a holding area, I wonder how much this would affect exhaust pulse flow?

This makes sense to me also. I am liking the idea of placing it as near the head as possible. to give more room and help relieve pressure, through both pipes asap. Then the compression stroke would give it enough time to "sort of bleed" the pressure through both mufflers. So to speak.

but you just dont see h or crossovers on twins with 180 cranks it has to do with the spacing and timing of the exhaust pulses and reversion effect there is a lot 2 it
180 twins do better with individual pipes all the way back
it could actually cause more "resrtiction" i think if it was advantagouis then it would have been done at one time or another by a oem mfg but you only see it on triumps bsa's and other twins with a 360 crank
i am all for experimenting but i just think on this one yer barking up the wrong tree

Back
Top Bottom