KZ400 "Dirty Bird" Cafe (Winter mods)

treitz

Over 1,000 Posts
Well I guess the addiction takes over some people faster than others. It hasn't been long since I bought my first bike, 1972 CL100 to do a little cafe project with. Of course I can't help but check Craigslist on a daily basis to see if there is anything too good to pass up. Of course there was.

I stumbled across a 79 KZ400 that has already been somewhat "cafe'd" and has been disassembled for rebuild. I picked it up tonight! Felt like I was steeling it for $100. But maybe I won't feel that way when I start putting it back together.

I am planning on finishing up the CL100 for my wife so she has something better than the 50cc scooter to drive to work and of course I will ride the 400.

Unfortunately no title but I looked into it and it shouldn't be too hard to get one.

Plans:
Rear suspension
Repaint (current plans: White with copper/metallic decals)
Clean, clean, clean
And rebuild and pray it runs.

From the back. I like the tail section even more now than I did before. Just need to get some shocks. It sits way too low with the hard-tail that the previous owner put on it.
46da9dab.jpg

I like the lines from the tank back.
6c44c447.jpg

From the front.
27d36ca1.jpg

Pipes are from a 750 and are in great shape.
2090f1c7.jpg

Virtually brand new tires.
22c614d7.jpg

Carbs with filters.
e8d64c94.jpg

Engine. Sorry it's dark, bad lighting. Going to clean it up ASAP. Shouldn't need much work, it ran before it was disassembled.
d8a85065.jpg

Body work that the previous previous owner fabbed up to replace the stock covers. I like it. Gives it a unique look.
fac49ccb.jpg

Before I put the back wheel on for the "complete" look.
9c8754d7.jpg

Re: 79 KZ400 Cafe (Project #2)

So awesome for $100. Which one are you going to finish first?

66replica said:
So awesome for $100. Which one are you going to finish first?

Good question! Since this one doesn't need as much mechanical work, probably the KZ first. I will do my best to get then both running by summer though. Fingers crossed!

Good news. Called the DMV, they ran a title search, found the Idaho title and it sounds like the title process should be pretty painless.

I just need to go in and they will walk me through the process of sending the previous title holder a letter and requesting the title.

I can only hope it is actually that easy. Fingers crossed!

Nice, I'm working on a Kz right now. Why would someone put struts on a cafe bike?

Ethanol said:
Nice, I'm working on a Kz right now. Why would someone put struts on a cafe bike?

Good question. My guess is that the stock shocks were shot and it was cheaper for him to throw stuts on than buy new shocks? I really don't know though.

It was 2 owners ago who did it, so the guy I bought it from had no idea either.

All he said was that it was really low which you can see with the tail section on. You can't even see the brake light from standing behind it. Pretty dumb.

Cool treitz... Looks like a great score!

Ethanol: Because Boise is a mass producer of Walmartians... A breed of individual lacking all ability to make an intelligent nor fashion-able decision. The land where a Jugalo (ICP white trash) is considered to be a honorable occupation. haha

Man we have our share of Juggalos here. It boggles the mind. Also 79s are supposed to be good years for kzs! Good luck man!

Ethanol said:
Man we have our share of Juggalos here. It boggles the mind. Also 79s are supposed to be good years for kzs! Good luck man!

I think your under cover... You know how to spell it correctly. haha

Swapmeet Louie said:
Cool treitz... Looks like a great score!

Ethanol: Because Boise is a mass producer of Walmartians... A breed of individual lacking all ability to make an intelligent nor fashion-able decision. The land where a Jugalo (ICP white trash) is considered to be a honorable occupation. haha

HAHAHA so true.

Swapmeet Louie said:
I think your under cover... You know how to spell it correctly. haha

Whenever I see someone with this t-shirt or tattoo I know I'm dealing with an idiot and I slowly back away...

Coolio-Juggalo-tattoo-jugalo-cool.jpg

Obviously Coolio doesn't know how to spell it though.

BTW Ethanol, I LOVE the seat you made for yours. Might try to make something similar for mine for a two up set up.

treitz said:
BTW Ethanol, I LOVE the seat you made for yours. Might try to make something similar for mine for a two up set up.

Thanks man! It was super easy.

Ethanol... Another questions for you... This may be a dumb one but since I didn't take the bike a part, I don't feel too stupid asking it.

Where do the wires coming out of the engine on the left side attach to? Someone just cut them off when taking the bike a part. (smart?) If I remember correctly on my CL they went straight to the wiring harness. Same story here?

In general I will probably be hitting you up with some wiring questions as it looks like you simplified it a bit. You didn't happen to draw up a diagram while you were at it did you?

Hey Treitz,

I didn't do a diagram but I should as it would probably be really helpful. Maybe I'll do one today (bored). As for the wires coming out of the alternator? The have plastic plugs on the end and connect to the recitfier/regulator.

Hmm.. actually now that I thin about it the 79 has a combination regulator rectifier. It's a little different from my 74.

Here's a simple sorta diagram that corresponds pretty well to your bike, I think.

kz400-wiring-1.jpg

Hmm not sure. Maybe I'll strip some of the black plastic back tonight so that I can see what color the wires are. That might help.

I'm an idiot when it comes to wiring but I was able to build a whole new harness pretty easily. They are super simple electrical systems once you get rid of the amazing amount of factory crap. I removed almost a whole grocery bag worth of old rats nest wiring.

Let me know how I can help (I can take some more pics, etc).

Back
Top Bottom