Cosplay costume - Kirito from SAO

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
So we are doing the comic cons again, only this time the big show NYC comic con. Magoo decided he wants to do a Character from Sword Art Online, an Anime/book/video series. So the character has 2 swords, Elucidator and Dark Reaper. Need to make them with a bit of a twist. We are flying to NY so then heed to fit a check bag, so removable handles. Ver 1.0 was working well until we read the rules, I used some aluminum flat stock to make a core for the cardstock and foam blade that will fit into another alloy bit in the handle and screw together, They may reject that for walking the floor of the con. Got it far enough to finish it but the second sword and ver 2.0 of this one we have another plan. I did the sketchy work with the jigsaws, chop saw etc. He'll finish paint and is making the rest of the costume.

Character
Kirito_Sword_Art_Online.png

First sword:
sao-kirito-elucidator-sword.jpg

Blade made, alloy flat bar for stiffness, then layers of card stock, then first layer of foam on the bottom

1732-020418130004.jpeg

Here is the handle, has a flat stock handle, layers of foam board and card stock, now has a layer of foam over it and plasti-dip on it. Blade is primed in this pic. Will get some pics of the plasti-dip tonight.

1732-020418130113.jpeg

We found a coat at goodwill, and have modified it to fit and started the silver trim with fabric paint. I'll put some pics of that up later.

Thanks. A coat of clear when the weather warms and the ver 1.0 will be done. then we make the second sword and then the double scabbard to hold them on his back. Just ordered a wig for the hair.

So next up sword 2 Dark Repulser:

1732-110418143512.png

Can't use metal so found a cam adjustable fiberglass driveway marker:

1732-110418141225.jpeg

Part is the handle, part goes in the blade, slide together, tighten cam, then cover with trim held with velcro, well that is then plan.

1732-110418141402.jpeg

make a foam MDF foam sandwich:
1732-110418141313.jpeg

Then shape, smooth, and cover in thin foam to be ready to paint.

1732-110418141518.jpeg

I keep wanting to peek at the end of the book to see how it turns out. The suspense is killing me :)

Work faster dammit! :p

Checked luggage is measured by a combination of length/width/depth. I think the total combination needs to be under 65" or something. So it can be 8 + 4 + 50 for example. 8 inches wide, 4 inches tall, 50 inches long totalling 62 inches.

How long are the swords?

They are modular and blades fit diagonal in my check bag I used for barber. I cant afford a new case lol

only got the one sword done so far, so he used that, I didn't get to go cause of the shingles but he had fun, didn't win this year, he competed against the adults and there was some really good costumes. We'll get back to finishing soon for NYC and the big show LOL. I have to make myself a costume too ;D we need to build the sheaths for the swords and a few other small bits and he'll be ready.

Maritime said:
I have to get them off Magoo's phone. Nice costume BTW!

Thanks and yeah, she was ready to come home at that point in her visit. She was there for 90 days w a week in Japan. And that was near the end of it all. But she had fun nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom