gs450 project from Aus

Collo

Hi all, been working on my GS450, pics to follow. It's getting some welding done at the moment, then the sandblasting etc.

Collo

Before the strip
P1100606.jpg

Before the seat
DSCF7074.jpg

Pulling it apart
DSCF7076.jpg

Moving the battery under the seat
DSCF7073.jpg

And that's probably enough photos for now. Certainly a lot of work to go.

Collo! Good to see you made it over! You'll find there are quite a few folks from the GSR here now......

But I'm signed up - projects are always easier for me to follow here.

yeh good to be here, some good builds going on I have a lot of reading ahead.

Changed my mind on the mono shock conversion too, going to be too complicated for me. Should mean a quicker build too.

Hi, the bike is looking great!! what clocks did you use? i am looking for ones like those for my GS450. thanks

Wow that's a cool looking bike. I don't know much about Suzuki but those wheels look awesome. Are they stock?

-Kev

Hate to speak for Coolo, but the stock wheels on a GS450 S or E are 18" mags. If I'm not mistaken, he painted his.

Hi guys,

I've done a little work since my last post and the frame is blasted and prep'd ready for some paint. I'll put some pics up soon.
The gauges are from Modern Motorcycle Company in Melbourne, not sure if they do Mph as well.

The wheels are stock I think, and were painted well before I got it.
Thanks for the comments.

Collo

frameetc_zps7d29c2ee.jpg

rearsets_zps139ed38e.jpg

and before the strip. The volt meter was fun, but having now ground off the handlebar clamps I might relocate it elsewhere

P1100645.jpg

Sorry Collo, my phone misspelled that earlier.....

The stock front mag is only 1.6" wide, but if you want to fit a wider one look for a wheel from a GN400. Everything else is identical, but the GN wheel is 1.85" wide. Just a thought.

And fwiw, I follow builds much easier here than on the GSResources.

Thanks Big Rich for the tip. Not sure exactly what look I'm going for yet. I've been thinking about getting a classic style race fairing so the narrow front wheel would suit in that case. Waiting on the full gasket kit at the moment...

Full fairing, huh? Did you see the pics of the GS450 that was at Barbers (in the US)?

Barbers Vintage Racing Museum in Alabama. They have a pretty good site......but nothing compares to being there.

I'll find pics of the GS and post a link here. I posted them in another 450 build somewhere as well.....

Ha! I posted the links in MY 450 thread....This page, my last post (above GK's)

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=40176.80

Thanks for the link, I like that white bike with the old race fairing. That's kinda the look I want, but will need a headlight to make it road worthy. Anyway, at the rate the build is going I have a while to consider it all. Thanks again

Progress!
Have painted the frame and other parts and now the much anticipated (for me anyway) re-assembly.
IMG-20130103-00293_zpsb0c1338a.jpg

IMG-20130103-00294_zps66ab391d.jpg

IMG-20130104-00298_zpsf9818815.jpg

The paint is KBS black top and I swear by it now, it's like powdercoat.

Need advice on how to lower shocks internally, not by raising them like in my photo?

Looks great so far Collo. nice to see more and more GS's getting the treatment (especially 450's) ;)

I'm with Rich. Gsresources is great for info and to lurk but hard as hell to follow along on anything.

I'm following along for ideas and inspiration.

GK

Paint looks great Collo!

There should be a way to add spacers internally to lower the forks.

Back
Top Bottom