1. It leaks gas around the Carbs.
2. It needs fork Seals
3. tires are original
4. its not a 77 or Older
5. it won't have the vintage look
6. there isn't much market and info for people who modded the 81's

Just venting..

1.,2.,3.-normal maintainence no matter what year bike you bought
4.,5.-it's not a Harley/Triumph/sportbike/chopper either-if it makes you happy who cares?
6.-be the first; there's always room for trend-setting 8)

1981_GS450SX_Cafe_012.jpg

This is an 81...I think it looks pretty good*

* except for the checkers.

Disco,

Kev is 100% correct! Do the maintenance that needs to be done: oil change, new tires, carb rebuild, etc. There are plenty of members in this forum that can talk you through just about any problem that comes up!

Now take a deep breath, grab a beer, go to the garage and.........TEAR INTO THAT THING!!!!

Build something that makes YOU happy!! If you need suggestions/ideas show us some "before" pictures.

Scott

Skyeye said:
Disco,

Kev is 100% correct! Do the maintenance that needs to be done: oil change, new tires, carb rebuild, etc. There are plenty of members in this forum that can talk you through just about any problem that comes up!

Now take a deep breath, grab a beer, go to the garage and.........TEAR INTO THAT THING!!!!

Build something that makes YOU happy!! If you need suggestions/ideas show us some "before" pictures.

Scott

Thanks scott

here is a current Picture opf what i am starting with
3nf3ob3pcZZZZZZZZZ95id235d76b88d61191.jpg

I like looking through the net for bikes that I like. I save the images and title them with whatever I like about the bike. The members rides section and before/after thread on this site is great. Go through all the pics finding things you like, come up with your own ideas, then start working on it.

I'd start off fixing the bike first.

^ I do the same thing. I've got a folder where all of my favorite bike pics are stored and it's nice to look through it as I go through my build.
There are parts for the dohc bikes, you've just got to put the effort into finding them as there aren't near as many aftermarket parts available for your bike. Be creative... brainstorm... decide what your going to do. Then do it. You'll figure it out.

So, who are these "Keepers of all things cafe" who put you in your place for daring to buy a bike that didn't meet their (arbitrary) standards??? Did you just laugh in their faces and push them to the ground and make them cry? If not, you should have...

anyone want to tell me which tanks bolt directly to the 81 Cb 750 without modification....

I don't think older CB tanks will work. I faced the same dilema with my '79. Benjies now makes tanks and seats for the '79-'82 CB750s, if you have the wherewithal to go custom. I couldn't afford it so I stuck with the original...
rollingchassis6.jpg

Most recent pic. Ready to mount exhaust.
polish6.jpg

I agree! You've got a good start. that tank will look pretty cool with a cafe seat behind it, add some clip-ons and rear sets and you're well on your way. This is, of course, after you get those carbs and tires squared away.

The old stuff is the old stuff and it is cool but '81 gets older every year. Anyway the people telling you that it isn't "cool" are posers. They have no imagination and shouldn't be paid attention to. The whole fucking point is to do something different! That is how this whole thing started in the first place.

Hell, Ive got an '82 GS450 in my buddy's garage that I'm going to do over next winter. Lets see what we come up with!

benjiescaferacer.com has some cool stuff for DOHC 750s etc. look there for ideas. Wicked pricey though.

biker_reject said:
I don't think older CB tanks will work. I faced the same dilema with my '79. Benjies now makes tanks and seats for the '79-'82 CB750s, if you have the wherewithal to go custom. I couldn't afford it so I stuck with the original...
rollingchassis6.jpg

are seeing you tank i may stick with my stock one.. Well it has to get cleaned out of Rust First. Im not goign to spend the money to go custom

anyone good with photoshop?

diesel450 said:
I agree! You've got a good start. that tank will look pretty cool with a cafe seat behind it, add some clip-ons and rear sets and you're well on your way. This is, of course, after you get those carbs and tires squared away.

The old stuff is the old stuff and it is cool but '81 gets older every year. Anyway the people telling you that it isn't "cool" are posers. They have no imagination and shouldn't be paid attention to. The whole fucking point is to do something different! That is how this whole thing started in the first place.

Hell, Ive got an '82 GS450 in my buddy's garage that I'm going to do over next winter. Lets see what we come up with!

benjiescaferacer.com has some cool stuff for DOHC 750s etc. look there for ideas. Wicked pricey though.

Thanks.. I'll just get the original tank cleaned and try to fit a nice Cafe seat behind it.

Back
Top Bottom