Holy cr*p it's a 1976 Honda CXRL650R street-tracking dirt-jumper! (and beer)...

There's something to be said for GOOD beer, I happen to like Saisons a lot, they have such an interesting flavor that comes from pretty much pissing yeast off and making it work in an extreme temperature environment. I made one last year that turned out about 9% and laid me on my ass every time I had a couple. Took forever to drink that batch.

Happen to have around 3 cases of Homebrew, Dark Irish Red ale, Wheaten Saison, and an IPA made with all New Zealand hops in my spare closet at the moment along with a SMASH in the bucket, should go into secondary Sunday. Oh yeah and some Mead I am experimenting with, its pretty baddass stuff.

It sucks having so much beer on hand, I find myself drinking when I should be WORKING on something. ;D

rz7d.jpg

The closet is the overflow, fridge in the garage is full. 8)

osteoderm said:
1/2-lb or so each of medium-lean ground beef and ground pork
1 fresh sourdough roll, angrily torn into ragged pea-sized chunks
1 large chicken egg
salt, pepper, and a squirt of Worchesterschirester sauce

(Or whatever meaty-loafy mix you prefer)

Don't mix it too much; time spent cooking is deducted from time spent eating. Mash it all up and flatten it out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. As long as you can, as thin as manageable, but no wider than the loaf pan you'll be soon be blindly hoping you can fit the whole sagging mess into.

Layer onto the meat:

many shaved honey ham slices
thin slices of cheese (I like Swiss, but each according to their Personal National Cheese Preference)
dill pickle sandwich slices

Roll the ungainly flappy meat spiral as tightly as possible, then curse and sweat the log into a loaf pan. Cook it in an oven until it is cooked.

Can I use a turtle egg instead of a chicken egg?

osteoderm said:
Never has a motorcycle exhaust been so trivial and plotless.

ahahahha - this build could be crap and I would still read it. great stuff here man.

Love what you are doing to this bike, and love the CB360 tank.

The weather outside is just about perfect for riding this here project bike, so I thought I'd punish my recent sloth by actually working on it for awhile.

If it isn't already blindingly obvious, my metalworking skills are pretty basic. However, my making a huge mess fiber-glassing skills are excellent creative! The first step is to totally disassemble the rolling bike, because all progress must be accompanied by backward motion. Next, some speculative tape lines get stretched into place:

2014-06-14 13.25.23.jpg

I use as many different colors and widths of tape as possible. Even when (especially when) I have no idea what I'm doing, I generally find that more tape = more inspiration.

2014-06-14 13.31.40.jpg

This is all just to define the outline of the seatpan. My three goals at this stage are to A) leave enough room above the pan for a sufficiently comfortable foam layer, B) leave enough room under the pan to tuck in a discrete wiring box, and C) make everything look dead sexy for the ladies.

2014-06-14 14.04.17.jpg

Some room under the pan... meh, never enough, but it's a start.

2014-06-14 13.49.44.jpg

A couple layers of plastic wrap does wonders for the sexiness aspect; ladies, I know that you know that I know what I'm talking about, right?

2014-06-14 13.55.56.jpg

How much foam is enough foam? I'm thinking 1-1/2" of medium-dense Confor will be okay. Maybe 1-3/4" Maybe as many inches as possible without hiding that sexy down-turn at the back of the tank.

2014-06-14 14.01.35.jpg

More tape. Always more tape. It looks like there will be a difficult transition to upholster at the lower corners of the tank; something to watch out for. The very rear of the seat is a little flat/shapeless/thin; I can always add a little kick-up later. Overall, I think this is going in an acceptable direction.

Now for more of that two-steps-forward-one-step-back action... Time to tear off all the foam-height tape and get back to the pan.

2014-06-14 14.20.04.jpg

This is also the point where I discover that I'm down to my last scrap of carbon fiber twill... Gonna have to make a beer supplies run and get back to this a little later...

Supplies were not gotten, but beer certainly was:

IMG_20140613_190808.jpg

Route des Epices by Brasserie Dieu du Ciel... Québécoise rye beer brewed with peppercorns. Distinctive toasty rye flavor; dark but neither cloying nor viscous, with just a touch of spice in the nose and a long smooth aftertaste capped with a peppery bite. Not the most sophisticated brew, but entertaining nevertheless.

Many beers later, I totally remembered where I had stashed all my old carbon fiber and fiberglass scraps! Totally a true story! Beer is awesome!

2014-06-15 16.32.04.jpg

I probably should have tried for more pics during the layup process, but I went with geekdom over glory and decided to leave my phone in my pocket while my hands were soaked in epoxy. The layup was two plies of carbon twill, a long skinny scrap of kevlar twill down the middle, another half-layer of carbon, a full layer of triaxial s-glass, and a top layer of 6-oz plain weave 'glass.

2014-06-15 17.38.00.jpg

The more random and varied the layup, the straighter I can keep my expression when telling people that the seatpan is made of a "complex hybrid multi-material composite". Here it is with bandages removed, and after a little edge-trimming while still "green".

2014-06-15 17.38.13.jpg

The wrinkles in the cooking-spray-covered plastic wrap leave plenty of speed-texturing on the underside of the pan. Meh, there'll be time enough for tuning the finish up later, after more beer.

Why use carbon underneath? Only for weight saving proposes? Or you just used that combo because is what you had laying around?

DH900sl

[quote author=dualero]
Why use carbon underneath? Only for weight saving proposes? Or you just used that combo because is what you had laying around?[/quote]

Yeah, probably just using up what I had. But seriously, carbon fiber is good for 3-7 additional horsepower.

Another Monday slain'd and drain'd... Another Saison, this time Vieille Provision Saison Dupont from Brasserie Dupont.

IMG_20140616_192138.jpg

I feel a need to go to Belgium and black-out in a farmhouse full of empties. Then again, maybe I already have, and just can't remember...

You know, the same angry yeast taste that you love just turns me off of saisons, to me it always tastes like one of the ingredients was rancid prior to brewing but they decided to use it anyways. Some people think cilantro tastes like soap. And the earth keeps spinning

I'm not going to judge you if you like a lumpy butt. That's your own business. "Horses for courses", as they say. This horse is going to have a smooth butt...

IMG_20140617_190842.jpg

West epoxy and 407 fairing filler... mmmm, peanut-buttery!

2014-06-18 18.41.00.jpg

...and sandeded... Still a few low areas to catch (the hollows are almost as bad as the lumps), so mo filler, mo sandering:

2014-06-18 18.47.59.jpg

2014-06-19 17.27.19.jpg

Smooth enough for me. Now one more layer of fine fiberglass fabric forming a firm foundation for foam.

2014-06-19 17.27.52.jpg

2014-06-19 17.33.58.jpg

Don't forget the beer!

2014-06-19 17.34.36.jpg

Tonight's quick'n'dirty sand'n'glass action brought to you by a cheap'n'cheerful Kulmbacher Edelherb pilsner. Crisp, cool, and perfect for washing down epoxy dust.

Wait a wait a wait a sec now.. There's rules? Nobody told me there was rules!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time to add some hold-down snappity catch-thingies to the seat pan. To, y'know, keep it from flying offa the bike, etc. So first, we flip the whole frame over (so glad I took the engine out already):

2014-06-20 16.49.20.jpg

The pan is clamped/taped/shimmed into position. It already fits pretty sorta okay, so this part isn't entirely as sketch as it looks... So then there's this little wee wedge of Airex foam I hack into shape with my pocketknife, that goes like so:

2014-06-20 16.55.48.jpg

Over this I layer up a few more carbon scraps and epoxy. Then (of course) I remember that I've totally forgotten to come up with a suitably awesome vacuum clamping rig, and am forced to scurry around saying swears and cobbling together less-than awesome alternatives. This is what I ended up with:

2014-06-20 17.15.45.jpg

Yes, you guessed correctly: that's a cooking-spray saturated square of plastic wrap wadded around a handful of kitty-litter... take a moment to allow your mind to boggle at my brilliance.

2014-06-21 10.09.09.jpg

Fast-forward a day, and the "clamp" comes off. Ouch, some random hacking precise post-cure trimming will be required. But not before....

IMG_20140623_191157.jpg

BEER! Plagrone, if you don't care for Saison, this here will turn your stomach: 2012 Mikkeller Spontan Noble. Belgian sour lambic-style ale, brewed with Botrytis grape fungus and aged in Sauternes barrels. ;)

Back
Top Bottom