spare parts xs650 build

slug

Support your local lurker
Picked up 2 basket case 650s and a POS 400 about 3 years back with grand plans. Got as far as selling off everything I hadn't planned on using and threw together a roller with the decent parts. I was lucky enough to make all my money back and then some and still keep a complete roller plus another frame and motor. I have been collected parts ever since and finally decided I better do something with all this junk. Dont know how far I'll get but I have made some resonable progress (for me) over the last month so I thought I would share.

Bike #1 - Vintage race style. Fairing, monoshock / radian swingarm, R6 front end with clip-ons, modified XS400 tank, 18" wire wheels with cush drive rear, modern brembo brakes, maybe a 750 kit for my basket case 80 motor, who knows if I'll ever get this far...still collecting parts and will start a build thread at some point.

Bike #2 - Cheapo Tracker spare parts thing. 80 special frame thats been completely stripped and de tabbed, raw brushed finish so far. Early 70's mx tank, R6 front end with moto bar risers, stock trussed swingarm / radian swingarm with some NOS hammerheads I had laying around (junk), stock front 19" mag, XS400 18" rear cush drive mag, Brembo/SV650/XS650/YZ450 brakes, stock 74 motor with VM34's and some sort of exhaust.

Whats done:
Tank fitted to frame with bungs welded.
Made up a basic seat pan and shaped seat foam...thinking about chopping the rear frame / upper shock mounts for something different.
Modified the stock pegs to fit some bates style pegs I had.
Motor has been cleaned up an painted.
Got the R6 front end fit on the 80 frame.
Turned a pair of stepped spacers and center spacer to get the wheel to fit.
Modified the top R6 clamp to fit moto bar risers.

Immediate To Do list:

Machine a couple of rotor spacers to offset the 320mm rotor for the front.
Make a couple brackets to hang the brembo caliper.
Make a sprocket spacer for the rear XS400 hub to fit the smaller 650 sprockets and get the chain line right
Build a truss for the stock 650 swingarm.
Figure out the rear brake setup...?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 815
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 840
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 847
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 802
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 900
Few more pics of the current state of the bike. Trying to figure out how thick of a sprocket spacer I need to make to get my chain line right.

Attachments

• photo 4 (1).JPG
    photo 4 (1).JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 751
  • photo 5 (1).JPG
    photo 5 (1).JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 755
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 747
Made up a sprocket spacer for the 320mm brembo. Plenty of clearance for a 4 pot caliper now.
y9eruber.jpg

e3a3erav.jpg

Also took a shot of the stepped spacers for the front wheel.
muda8apy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotor spacer is done and mounted. Also made some bars today.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 691
  • photo 4 (2).JPG
    photo 4 (2).JPG
    126 KB · Views: 688
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 690
Decided to tackle the front caliper hanger today. Used some delrin stock to make the mockup. Took me a few hours but I pretty much nailed it the first go around. I will use this to build the hanger in CAD and have them cut on the CNC at work. I plan to use this identical combo for my other 650 build to make things easier.

Also started looking into the rear brake setup. My choices are: little gold brembo (only have one and planned on using it on the racer replica build), stock XS caliper and hanger (massive paperweight), funky upside-down SV650 caliper, or the little YZ450 caliper which is integrated with the hanger and would be a pain in the ass to make work. I think I'm gonna break down and buy another gold brembo so I only have to design the hanger once which I will use on both bikes. Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo 4 (3).JPG
    photo 4 (3).JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 680
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    124 KB · Views: 699
  • photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 664
Made a little progress over the last week.

I got the sprocket carrier finished up...at least until my new sprocket shows up.

Made a mockup of the rear caliper hanger and will be finalizing the CAD model today.

Sent my buddy CAD files for the front caliper bracket and rotor spacer so hopefully I will have some fresh cut parts by the end of the week.

Started playing around with the rear master placement, hopefully have that figured out this week.

Also pulled the bike out for a couple quick shots. Happy this thing is actually a roller now...no zip ties or duct tape holding it together. Pushed it down the street a few times and the suspension feels really solid. Don't think I'll ever run sub 43mm forks on any bike again.

Attachments

• photo 3 (5).JPG
    photo 3 (5).JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 648
  • photo 2 (5).JPG
    photo 2 (5).JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 651
  • photo 5 (2).JPG
    photo 5 (2).JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 664
  • photo 4 (4).JPG
    photo 4 (4).JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 676
  • photo 1 (5).JPG
    photo 1 (5).JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 641
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. There are so many great builds on this site it has definitely got me inspired.

So I went and picked this little gem up at lunch today. My co-worker gave it to me...been sitting in his garage no-op'd since 88. Pretty rad little bike and it came with a whole box of nos electrical parts and the original manual. Im stoked.

Attachments

• photo 1 (5).JPG
    photo 1 (5).JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 587
  • photo 2 (5).JPG
    photo 2 (5).JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 619
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
    photo 3 (3).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 586
Guess I better start another build thread...

Attachments

• tear down 1.JPG
    tear down 1.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 587
  • tear down 2.JPG
    tear down 2.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 568
Well I'm finally getting a bit of work done on the 650 again. Between the DT, XT, and the sporty I have had my hands full.

Still waiting on those cnc parts...going on 6 weeks now. I guess I can't complain when it's free. Oh well, there is plenty else to be done.

Went back to radian swingarm, got it stripped and ready for new shock mounts. Also got around to chopping the tail section off. Going to fab new upper shock mounts.

Profile shot with fender mocked up:

Rear shot:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom