Why was a "bobber and chopper" section added to this "cafe" board?

dcwp said:
This is the first post here that makes me feel like maybe my bike doesn't fit in. When I started riding someone told me that bright colors were the most important safety gear on two wheels. So I found a full armor Joe Rocket jacket that looks like something the Red Power Ranger would wear to a disco party, and it was super cheap. I've been thinking of finding something a bit more subtle, now I guess I'll have to if I want to fit in. ;)

Bright colours are very cool!!.. I used to collect vintage racing jackets with all the crazy colours, Golden Crown by Bristol, Drospo and Brimaco made some of the coolest and brightest racing jackets in the 60s & 70's... I still have a few...

Yeah, I'll have to start looking for something like that. Having been a bicycle commuter and a competitive mountain biker in the past, I do like visibility.

How are those old racing jackets for temperature? One of the nicest things about my Rocket is the mesh almost feels like it isn't there at all.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

I rock a bright red joe rocket mesh jacket, got off ebay for 45.00 It was all I could afford to help keep me safe. I also ride with a full face GMAX helmet that doesn't match the age or style of my bike. I don't care, if I get cut off in traffic and go down, I will still have my jaw and maybe less broken bones. F## anyone who makes you feel stupid for not wearng the right jacket to fit in. I think the vintage jackets are cool and some are just as good at protection, buit I can't afford those, so I rock what I can afford. I also think the open face vintage look helmets look cool to, but I like my bottom jaw more :) I also think that this section is very good as it showcases the skills of the builders. There is no one perfect bike style, culture, etc. I like that most here recognise an nice build, whether a Cafe, Bobber, Chop, Brat, Rat whatever. A well built bike is a well built bike, key word being "built" not Bought :) love this forum, i don't think I would have The running POS that I do now if it wasn't for help I got here. It would be a pile of parts in the driveway :)

Cheers,

dcwp said:
How are those old racing jackets for temperature? One of the nicest things about my Rocket is the mesh almost feels like it isn't there at all.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Terrrible.. but it looks cool though:
IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

Yesterday I was on a chopper underground. A guy had a cafe inspired bobber who wanted to lean more to the cafe side so he went to caferacer.net to ask about some details and the majority of the responses were smart alec. I let him know about here. I love the addition of this section. Cafe or bobber we are all cutting up stock bikes to get the look and feel we as individuals want while we are on 2 and sometimes even 3 wheels. And I just want to add that you guys on this site man are great. You encourage people and appreciate that when someone is new to this building stuff some of us are going to pump out masterpieces the first time and noone gets thrashed for trying. so thanks.

I saw the whole incident over there. Yeah they're pretty rough on you if you don't follow their idea of what a bike should be. There are some fairly serious racers there so style definitely takes a backseat to function with them, but even then.......

on top of all of the excellent points made justifying this subforum, i've got another:
strictly speaking, "cafe racers" are supposed to be british, right?
on the same note, bobbers and choppers are supposed to be american based.
as mentioned above, theyre the same philosophy originally, just opposite sides of the atlantic.

95% of the bikes on here are neither, but that's a good thing. the genres are evolving, but as they stem from the same cause and we're mostly injecting japanese bikes. most bikes that suit one genre can in some cases come up pretty well as the other. there's heaps of examples of that here, (such as lovell's "aussie bob", troybilt's "360 dragger/bobber...") and it's great to see what an original bike can become in the hands of someone who enjoys the craft, whatever the outcome.

but yeah, i like the idea of having both because there's more inspirational builds coming ;) - not to mention there's no dickheads saying "this doesn't belong here" in the same way you see on other boards.

Having played on both sides of the fence I have to say I am excited for this section to of been added. I think the best thing about what we're all doing is that - "we continue to inspire each other to go further and faster." That is more important than anything else in my mind.

It's kind of weird. I was sitting in the shop last night looking around at all the bikes, tools and parts and I thought to myself.

"Wow, how did all this happen."

I absolutely love DTT and all the users here. I look forward to helping the Bobber section grow and taking from and contributing ideas to see all of our projects and passions realized.

And I believe it was said already but....you can do the ton on a bobber. It's just a little stiffer. ;)

Okay, my opinion is slanted like everyone else's. When I wanted a Japanese cafe bike, I came here, because this is where my Google search lead me. A search engine is going to lead people about 50+ other sites on Japanese bobbers/choppers before it gets here. So the new section is built for people who are already here. That being said, you could go crazy with sub-sections based on membership. I want a dirt/flat/street track section. Why?

a) Because there isn't on out there for non-competitors
b) Track bikes are built for RACING, choppers and bobber are built for STYLE; cafes are somewhere inbetween?
c) I'm building a dirt/flat/street tracker and I'd like to see if anyone else is doing the same to share resources.

my.02

Kev Nemo said:
Okay, my opinion is slanted like everyone else's. When I wanted a Japanese cafe bike, I came here, because this is where my Google search lead me. A search engine is going to lead people about 50+ other sites on Japanese bobbers/choppers before it gets here. So the new section is built for people who are already here. That being said, you could go crazy with sub-sections based on membership. I want a dirt/flat/street track section. Why?

a) Because there isn't on out there for non-competitors
b) Track bikes are built for RACING, choppers and bobber are built for STYLE; cafes are somewhere inbetween?
c) I'm building a dirt/flat/street tracker and I'd like to see if anyone else is doing the same to share resources.

my.02

Sure.. Why not.. If there is enough member interest in Flat Trackers, I dont see why not...
But there has to be some internal interest, or at least someone to promote/represent that section of the forum on other similar boards.

For this Bobber-Chop & Hardtail section, I know that may of our DTTers are building Bobbers, or at least have a strong appreciation for them. Im personally in the middle of building 3 of them.

If you can generate enought interest in trackers, I'd be glad to put up a section for that area.

For me, this is a cool addition. Good thread to start up, let everyone voice their opinion.

I was on (or lurking, I dunno) Jockey Journal, and while I thought that everything there was pretty awesome, its very 'non-Jap' based in the bikes that are being made...ie I don't have the money to buy a Harley/Norton/BSA. Heres a link if you wanna check some of that stuff out.

The evolving forum is awesome. Kinda like if somone asked me would I like another arm, or an eye on the end of my finger - hell yeah! Plus, you can always chop the thing off if you figure it wasn't such a good idea later on own the line.

As for the jackets, I've got a scungy reproduction digonal-zip Brando-style jacket and a modern half-lid (black with a few skulls). Throw in some blue jeans and aviator sunnies and I'm dialed in. I can't be bothered with real vintage gear, I'd rather spend the dosh on the bike instead. Not to mention that I've got two choices of gear now, and thats more than enough for me.

Cheers - boingk

locO leoN said:
Sure.. Why not.. If there is enough member interest in Flat Trackers, I dont see why not...
But there has to be some internal interest, or at least someone to promote/represent that section of the forum on other similar boards.

For this Bobber-Chop & Hardtail section, I know that may of our DTTers are building Bobbers, or at least have a strong appreciation for them. Im personally in the middle of building 3 of them.

If you can generate enought interest in trackers, I'd be glad to put up a section for that area.

Some of it education; I've seen at least three bikes around here that were going in a flat/ street track direction labeled as "bobbers" because the owners/posters were unaware of what to call them exactly.

I'm on JJ too, I used to love it when it was a bit more open minded a year or so ago...

I still check it out every now and then but since they basically kicked out everything japanese I havn't frequented it as much!!

I'm very happy with the addition, I lve the cafe bikes but have a huge soft spot for bob/chop/brat bikes...

I've gotta admit...I loved the Cafe' style until I saw the same thing over...and over....and over...

There are only a few Cafes that I like anymore, and thats because they feature something really unique...like an exhaust through the frame, or same sized tires front and rear....

I'm starting to dig the tracker/bobber/cafe mixed breeds because they are more unique. When I look at GravelCrew or Wrench Monkees I think of the all bikes look significantly unique from one another.

I have to say I agree with the majority of you who seem to favor this section within the forum.

I love bikes that defy labels. My bikes tend to follow a general theme but also incorporate ideas that don't fit! For that reason I like to look at all kinds of machines to inspire me!

I understand purists that want everything "just so" but I also see the facination with "rat" bikes, "odd balls" and everything else in between!

I wish I had the $$ and the room for a Bobber!! I'd have one as a project in an instant!! It would take the form of, what I call, a "Muscle Bobber". Lots of power and noise. Thick wheels and tires. Low rise bars. Oh man. I'm feelin' the urge! :eek:

I'm lookin' forward to following the builds here! I'm destined to live vicariously through you folks for now! ;D Go get 'em! 8) 8)

I feel like more and more of the bikes on here don't really fall into any of the pre-set "categories" (cafe, chopper, bobber, etc), but could rather be described as hybrids of the motorcycling world as a whole. That is why I like this site, there is a good mixture/range of backgrounds, opinions, and taste, but with a minimum amount of assholeness.

Maybe a new term should be coined for this genre of motorcycle? or is it just a group that exists within all the other groups?

I mentioned yesterday in my build thread that some of the guys at The Chopper Underground have used the term "Ramen Bobs" to talk about bikes that are minimal, Asian, and often done on the cheap. The cheap part doesn't apply to some folks around here (nor does it to all ramen), but it certainly works in my case.

Anyway, I'm thrilled this sub-forum has been added for all the reasons stated above. Whatever else my bike is, it's my bike and that's what's important.

Having lurked at the Underground a bit, and while the term 'Ramen Bob' kinda makes me smile.....I get the impression it was coined as derogatory toward anything non-Hardley or Brit.

Whatever.

Catagories help people organize their thoughts and life in general but I think the need to 'belong' allows those same folks to assign far too much value to the various labels applied to stuff. It's too easy to set boundaries and conditions based on those same narrow views. For example; the other day I was out on the Triumph (SuperIII) and stopped to grab a cup. There were a variety of Japanese sportbikes there and I was admiring several on my way in. On the way out I caught one of the riders essentially accusing me of snobbery solely due to the bike I was riding. Some amorphous chasm separated those riders from me because of the nation of manufacture, of our motorcycles. Seems odd to me.

Personally speaking......I like motorcycles.

(forgive the previous flow of thought....no coffee yet this morning)

Back
Top Bottom