Why was a "bobber and chopper" section added to this "cafe" board?

Swagger said:
Catagories help people organize their thoughts and life in general but I think the need to 'belong' allows those same folks to assign far too much value to the various labels applied to stuff. It's too easy to set boundaries and conditions based on those same narrow views. For example; the other day I was out on the Triumph (SuperIII) and stopped to grab a cup. There were a variety of Japanese sportbikes there and I was admiring several on my way in. On the way out I caught one of the riders essentially accusing me of snobbery solely due to the bike I was riding. Some amorphous chasm separated those riders from me because of the nation of manufacture, of our motorcycles. Seems odd to me.

Personally speaking......I like motorcycles.

I'm with ya Swagger! I like motorcycles too! :D

When I meet riders like that, I just shake my head. I feel sorry for them. It's their loss! :(

Whao... thats all deep stuff...(DTT University course: Introduction to the Philosophy of Bikes 101)

I just like 50's style bobbers..!!

Just recently joined been lurker for a long time. This thread seems to have have taken a life of it's own. Question it appears that this board no longer has cafe racers as it's primary focus, so will the name be changed away from "DO THE TON CAFE RACERS" to something a little more reflective of what it has become?

Great site

James

caferacer39 said:
Just recently joined been lurker for a long time. This thread seems to have have taken a life of it's own. Question it appears that this board no longer has cafe racers as it's primary focus, so will the name be changed away from "DO THE TON CAFE RACERS" to something a little more reflective of what it has become?

Great site

James

I doubt it. I think if you did a pole you'd find that the vast majority of us still lean toward caferacers and vintage racing style bikes, however we'd (as a whole) be remiss should we not acknowledge that there are some really neat bikes being built in other styles.

Also, if you note the actual name of the site you'll see that it's 'Do The Ton', with no demarcation or emphasis on HOW one gets to 'The Ton'.

I think it's safe to say that we like motorcycles, not so much a single type.
If that's your bag there are hundreds...if not more, sites out there catering to a single style.
Maybe there's one you'll fit better, but here you get it all.

Swagger said:
I doubt it. I think if you did a pole you'd find that the vast majority of us still lean toward caferacers and vintage racing style bikes, however we'd (as a whole) be remiss should we not acknowledge that there are some really neat bikes being built in other styles.

Also, if you note the actual name of the site you'll see that it's 'Do The Ton', with no demarcation or emphasis on HOW one gets to 'The Ton'.

I think it's safe to say that we like motorcycles, not so much a single type.
If that's your bag there are hundreds...if not more, sites out there catering to a single style.
Maybe there's one you'll fit better, but here you get it all.

Bravo!!..

+1 on the flat tracker sub. I'm building one currently but I have it in the bobber section. I really love this forum, I love how open most of the members are to other styles and how open they are to share ideas, and help out in so many ways. When my bike started to take a course other than cafe I was glad that I wouldnt have to find a new forum.

pretty much CrazyPJ is my motorcycle wikipedia ;) when i'm worried I'm going to f something up I just PM that guy

I'm all for having as many different bike styles as exist in the world represented on the site, but the problem is, by opening sub-forums, all the great info from each area become segregated etc.

I'd love to see Bobber, Chopper, Tracker, Fighter etc. projects all in the Projects thread, tech issues in the Tech threads etc. etc.

Happy to have an area dedicated to general discussion of the particular genre, but do we really want 5 different Project threads?

Tim said:
I'm all for having as many different bike styles as exist in the world represented on the site, but the problem is, by opening sub-forums, all the great info from each area become segregated etc.

I'd love to see Bobber, Chopper, Tracker, Fighter etc. projects all in the Projects thread, tech issues in the Tech threads etc. etc.

Happy to have an area dedicated to general discussion of the particular genre, but do we really want 5 different Project threads?

I agree, but I also see how each style of bike has tech issues related to the specific bike - computer harnesses and modern equipment for fighters; hard tails, oil tanks, and other frame mods for bobs/chops; suspension, tires, and custom frames for trackers.

The problem I see that has developed is that people do think those labels are so easily passed from bike to bike. It takes more than switching bars from dirt to clubman to apehanger to really consider a bike a tracker, cafe, chop. Separate sections help people explore what those differences actually are.

I agree with both arguments..
On one side, it makes it easier for members who are interested in bobber projects to look through a section that has specifically bobber builds and not have to sort through a mountain of other threads that is not relevant to their search...

On the other side, why would we want to have build threads scattered throught the differend sub boards..

My suggestion would be to have a bobber-chop, a tracker, etc.. build section as a sub-board within the "Big-Arse Projects" section. This way it keeps all the build threads together in one area, yet seperated by genre.....or not...

Personally, it doenst matter to me either way...

Well we'd better put a locO leoN sub-section in, 'cause I don't know WHAT you call the things you build ;)

Tim said:
Well we'd better put a locO leoN sub-section in, 'cause I don't know WHAT you call the things you build ;)

BHAHAha....hey!!.. I just realized that was a cheap kick at the nuts!!.. ;D

(Re) built the classic, built the chop/project, will build the cafe - I think cx is calling, have the classic in pieces in a basket in the shed. Off focus topic is cool, as it broadens perspective and can enhance ideas. Simple really, like the idea on the thread...ask the question. The category of bike is irrelivent (spelling ???) if someone else gets inspiration. An thats all I've got to say 'bout that.

islanddave1 said:
I personally feel that this is a mistake. There are plenty of resources out there for bobbers and choppers. I love them, and have owned them, but I don't want to go to one site for all of my motorcycle needs. I dread that the Do The Ton web site will become the Wallmart of motorcycle discussion boards. I also feel the same with regards to the "cages" section and the "fighters" section.

Dave

First rule of building motorcycles: Do whatever the F#*K you want.

Gage Werke Composites said:
First rule of building motorcycles: Do whatever the F#*K you want.

dang straight. Thats the ideology that sets this site apart from all the others.

Back
Top Bottom