The Ballistic Cruze Mule...da Bob

did you work out leverage ratio or just weld it in where it looks right? (anything to compare it with?)
After having a second (and third ;)) look, the 'box section' dropping from swing arm pivot is doing most of work and tie rods are secondary?

PJ

Yep, the tie rods are secondary. It is modeld closely to the HD dimensions, but due to space limitations and other variables its leverage ratio is likely off. The shocks original application ( HD softail, at roughly 650Lbs ) mine is going to be roughly 425-450lbs so these shocks are going to be very stiff. Time will tell, and there is a bit of adjustability, but no real way to soften the spring rate beyond extending the swingarm to add leverage. I can always swap to a chain and add length to the swingarm, just hope I dont have to.

What about a jackshaft to allow your swing arm stretch?
A short run of chain from the engine to the jackshaft then the belt to the wheel? The chain sprockets would allow you some adjustment of gearing too.....

edit for stupidity

Swagger said:
What about a jackshaft to allow your swing arm stretch?
A short run of chain from the engine to the jackshaft then the belt to the wheel? The chain sprockets would allow you so adjustment of gearing too.....
That's a great idea Swagger.

I like the hybrid idea as well. Have you thought any more about it? Check out woodys cafe racer that he slammed. Maybe you can pull some ideas off of it. It is mostly cafe but it is lowered and that in it self makes it look different.

Dragged the whole thing back to my shop this week and got her on the bike lift. No progress whatsoever though, other than I picked up a 150/80/16 WW Excedra for a good price, Adam didnt have a front WW so I'll be ordering one soon.

I want to powder the rims but dont want to spend the $, anyone use appliance epoxy to paint cast wheels ? If so anything you can tell me to help me not fawk up the finished poduct LOL.

I'm still thinkin about weather to use rearsets and clipons. Not sure if the stock tank would look right with this combo so I may look for a different tank before I go much further.

Rearsets and clipons would be very cool. The thing I really like about this build is the fact that you are thinking outside the box. So far it is flowing along like a mountian stream and that is so cool. It could go ether way at this point. I think you are right to put everthing on hold while looking for a different tank. The right tank will speak to you and you will know exactly what direction to take everthing else. The factory tank does have more of a bob/chop feel so it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Just finished up breakfast.....I'm off to find a TANK ;D Adam has 20 or so different tanks at his place....I know I seen a 400 Daytona tank as long as it fits over the tripple backbone frame it may find a home on the BCM.

Totally ignored this build for a few weeks, but got some done today....lots actually. Mounted up the rear WW, leavin the rims stock for now. Mounted up my finned aluminum electric box, mocked up the headpipes, made a tail light/licence plate mount/bracket, and lastly mounted the bar end mirror.

Pipes are both exiting on the right, left pipe crosses over under the pod filters. I'll hopefully get some more done tomorrow on the rest of the exhaust as well as a few other bits....no babysitter so spending new years at home with the family....and sober, so no hang over to worry about LOL.

BCM031.jpg

BCM028.jpg

BCM034.jpg

BCM021.jpg

Love it! that exhaust is sexy and I'm amazed at how the shocks kind of disappear under there. Stoked to see more.

I have seen a few bikes hardtailed in a similar fasion.

I have totally neglected this bike again. Been hurtin, so not doing any work on it at all, plus I have been busy making a deal on the T500....the 2 stroke has interested me a bit more lately.

I may actually sell/part this bobber project out if their is enough interest. If I dont sell it, it will likely get mothballed for a bit.

Tire is a 150/80/16, stock rim. Original fitment is a 130, lots of room in the swingarm for the 150.

Had some tire kickers and lots of offers for trades on various oddball stuff....like a cube van and a hanging wicker chair LOL. So fuck it, I started building it again tonight. Vice, torches and lots of leverage...this is 1.125 mechanical tube ( DOM ) and its .250 wall.
Here is the start of the frame section to mount the seat, I'll add some gussets and a tube support under it. Still lots to do.

I may add a very small seat bump on it as well, kinda like Miob's BMW. I dig what he did on it.

BCM009.jpg

BCM020.jpg

Man I like it just how it sits. I love hand worked steel...it looks so elegant and purposeful. Great job man! Keep this bike...it deserves finishing!!!

not a huge fan of the rear fender, the bottom line is just too straight love the white wall (need one for the front) and wheels need to be all one color (i know your still mid build so if all this stuff was planned i appologize) other than that, LOVE the stance and LOVE the bars and LOVE the tank on there. seat is beautiful, keep it up man!!

Moved the control placement around today, forwards are a NO go, mids were ok, but rearsets actually felt more natural. Fender has been officialy ditched, elec box has been moved, wheels will be all one colour at the least....I'd really like to do Excels, but its not in the budget...hell maybe they are, I've got LOTS of time LOL.
I'm leaning towards a more aggressive posture with the build at this point, I had thought about clipons and rearsets long ago for the build and I think thats where it will end up.

Back
Top Bottom