Honda CB750K Cafe Racer project about to start with a monoshock??

1fasgsxr said:
Cause Mr vintage is a pro painter...haha... nothing like bashing a guys work.

That's what i was thinking! :-\ :-\ The engine will get another light sand when its back together completely and another layer of paint added which should smooth out the finish. I've painted a few engines in my day but the corrosion on this was defo one of the worst.

On another now my seat arrived today from Tuffside. Its the brown one in this post: https://bit.ly/2Fz4Bpu

VintageMBike said:
OMG did you rattlecan that engine? Im not trying to be mean but that is a TERRIBLE, bubbly unfinished looking paint job.
That isn't being mean, that is being a dick.

VintageMBike said:
I understand the bike was in poor condition. Im simply observing the fact the paint job STILL looks terrible. Rattlecan-ish

This fucking guy. Get off your high horse dude. This forum isn't for bashing other people's work and posting selfies. If you're going to tell him you think his work is bad, then at least offer some constructive criticism.

Go back to Instagram.

PO, engine looks a hell of a lot better than it did. Carry on

Hey man, question - I'm getting ready to paint my first engine, and I've been told the high temp paint comes out way thicker than regular aerosol. I'm going to dummy run on the oil pan before hitting the lump - did you also find the paint was thicker? I don't have an engine stand so I'll be painting the thing on my workbench - still need to formulate my plan of attack. Until then it's sitting under a big black bin bag, all moody like.

Go the 750's! I'm working on a '81 F, yours is shaping up very nicely.

The Jimbonaut said:
Hey man, question - I'm getting ready to paint my first engine, and I've been told the high temp paint comes out way thicker than regular aerosol. I'm going to dummy run on the oil pan before hitting the lump - did you also find the paint was thicker? I don't have an engine stand so I'll be painting the thing on my workbench - still need to formulate my plan of attack. Until then it's sitting under a big black bin bag, all moody like.

Go the 750's! I'm working on a '81 F, yours is shaping up very nicely.

Jim, I've found that both VHT and Duplicolor engine paints come out of the can just the same as regular spray. No noticeable difference. What with it being winter I would make sure your engine is above 60*F and keep the paint cans in the house overnight. Cold paint and cold metal is no bueno.

advCo said:
Jim, I've found that both VHT and Duplicolor engine paints come out of the can just the same as regular spray. No noticeable difference. What with it being winter I would make sure your engine is above 60*F and keep the paint cans in the house overnight. Cold paint and cold metal is no bueno.
That's what my mate said as well. I'll point my shop heater at the fan for a few hours beforehand to warm the thing up a bit, and warm up the paint too. Was in my garage over the weekend and lasted about 2 hours before all feeling in my feet disappeared. Not for the first time my frozen extremities had me wishing the US Canadian border ran north south instead.

Like everything else I do for the first time on these builds, it's only after doing it that I realize just how involved most of it is. Full of respect for everyone here that steps up and gets filthy making it happen. In the tropics or the deepfreeze 8)

advCo said:

I agree with @advCo regarding the paint and temperature. I used the VHT Engine Enamel and Primer and it went on very easy. When I did the second coat of engine enamel I warmed the paint but I must not of got the engine metal warm enough. I suspect this caused some of the orange peel you can see and some are giving out about :p. I'll be giving the engine a light sand before I give it one final coat when I have it ready to go back into the frame which should be closer to spring.

Bit of an update since the last post. Have the rear loop fabricated and welded into place. Next stop to be sand blasted and powder coated.

Just got the frame back from the powder coaters. Very happy with the finish. Tank getting painted next week.

Back
Top Bottom