Would this make a good cafe??

hecklejk

Been Around the Block
Hey guys, wanted to get some opinions from you guys on this bike... I am considering buying it. It is a 1981 Yamaha Seca 550.. looks like it is in decent shape, owener says it runs good and has only minor cosmetic damage... He is asking $1300 or best offer.... what would your best offer be?? Is $1300 to much?

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments

• seca550.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 321
$1300 seems a bit high, but Im cheap. Looks pretty cool as is. Not sure Id mess with that too much. If I did, Id probobly go more of the vintage fighter route...

I would keep it as is. Already has a bit of cafe style with that original fairing.

DrJ said:
I would keep it as is. Already has a bit of cafe style with that original fairing.

Yeah... that was the idea... the guy said it has a small crack in it, but I am sure I can fix it! Going to have a look at it tomorrow and hopefully make an offer on it!

I would offer $900, but pay up to $1100 if it truly runs GOOD! If its not running really good, or you can find any mechanical problems that you can point out to the seller, offer him $700 and only go up to $900. Look for signs of oil leaks, loss of pull through the throttle range in low gears, and sounds in the motor like ticks and clicks! If you find one or more of these, start reducing the price! Act like you know everything about these bikes and you have worked on these things for the last 5 years! If you can pull of that you know more about the bike than the seller, you will have more bargaining power. I don't think this bike is really worth $1300 but could be if it is in really really good shape! Like no rust and perfect new condition minus some small signs of wear and tear! Only go $1300 as a last resort if you just fall in love with it! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Or you could tell him that your dying and its your last wish to own this bike. Have a chick dress in a nurses outfit and follow you there. Cough a lot (some fake blood, ala TB would be a nice touch...) and maybe cry. Sure, this would make you Hitler grade evil, but you may get a good deal out of it. :D

I've owned a few XJ's over the years and they are pretty good things (not so much style wise, but reliable and solid performers).

The 550 is the smallest XJ4 and is chain drive - all the others are shaft. The motor is a little gem - it will rev easily into the 10K plus zone and in it's day was the fastest of the 550's (GPZ, GS, CBX...).

Probably not worth 1300, but if you can get him down to near 1000, and the bike is in good condition, that's a pretty good buy.

Back
Top Bottom